Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 09:14   #1

Boat: Morris Justine 36'
Yanmar spares I should carry

I have a Yanmar 3JH2 with 2300 hrs and will have my boat in the Caribbean. I am seeking advice on what spares to carry. Yanmar sells both a minor and a major repair kit including the following parts:

Minor Kit ($185) Major Kit ($765)
For: Local Cruising For: Offshore Cruising
Lube Oil Filter Minor Kit Parts Plus:
Fuel Oil Filter Kit Full Gasket Set *
Air Filter Element * Injector Washer *
Set of Zinc(s) + Gasket(s) * Can Engine Paint
Belt(s) Lift Pump + Gasket *
Water Pump Impeller & Gasket Parts & Service Manuals
Coolant Treatment * Fuel Injector *
Marine Diesel Fuel Treatment Heat Exchanger Gaskets *
Fuel Bleed Screw & Washer * Thermostat & Gasket
MACK 726 Dry Box Water Pump Seal
MACK 727 Dry Box (XL)

I have only basic mechanical skills and might need to pay others to do diesel engine work, but I would try to fix things. Should I carry these parts, or will I find what I need in the Caribbean. Thanks.
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:48   #2

Re: Yanmar spares I should carry

I apologize for the difficult-to-read post above. Here are the kits in a more readable format

Minor Kit, For: Local Cruising
Lube Oil Filter
Fuel Oil Filter Kit
Air Filter Element
Set of Zinc(s) + Gasket(s)
Belt
Water Pump Impeller & Gasket
Coolant Treatment
Marine Diesel Fuel Treatment
Fuel Bleed Screw & Washer
MACK 726 Dry Box

Major Kit, For: Offshore Cruising
Minor Kit Parts Plus:
Full Gasket Set
Injector Washer
Can Engine Paint
Lift Pump + Gasket
Parts & Service Manuals
Fuel Injector
Heat Exchanger Gaskets
Water Pump Seal
MACK 727 Dry Box (XL)
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 09:55   #3

Boat: Island Packet 35

Your probably going to be overwhelmed with differing points of view here!!
FWIW I am not south but am in a fairly remote area for access to parts. For me I maintain the essentials, oils and belts, much of what you have indicated but in addition, an alternator and starter.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FecklessDolphin View Post

I have only basic mechanical skills and might need to pay others to do diesel engine work, but I would try to fix things. Should I carry these parts, or will I find what I need in the Caribbean. Thanks.
Others will comment on the spares, and you can also look here:

Spares for a Long Cruise

Engine Spares for a Long Cruise

But your concept is something you should reconsider. None of us were born diesel mechanics, but we soon learned that DIY is the best way to get it done, and get it done right.

No reason not to learn, all of us did.

GL.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:07   #5
cruiser

We have all of those things onboard and more. Don't forget to add a complete tool kit including tools to get into tight places. One thing forgotten, see if your engine requires a Yanmar impeller puller. It's a $15 tool, but without it, it can be impossible to change the impeller on some models. You'll need to learn how to do many of the basics yourself. Adjusting a loose fan belt, oil and impeller changes, oil filter changes, etc. your boat should have at least one Racor fuel filter. If it doesn't have one, get one.

These things always seem to need doing when you're all alone, especially fan belts, fuel filters and impellers.

Example: My wife and I are motoring 1/4-1/2 mile off the cliffs along southern Spain, when suddenly the fan belt pulley breaks loose and goes banging around the engine compartment along with the fan belt. There's no time to call for someone to come out and make a repair..... We turn the boat away from the shore, raise the sails even though the wasn't much wind, instruct my wife to head out to sea, then I go below to fix the mess. An hour later we continue on our way. The most difficult things were finding the bolts that had fallen out and not burning myself on the hot engine.

BTW, Thanks for reminding me to go two buildings down and pick up a couple of spare Yanmar oil filers.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:43   #6

A lot of the parts in those spares kits are for routine maintenance (e.g. engine paint). I stock for unplanned engine problems (especially unplanned while at sea).

Bad fuel - At some point you are likely to buy bad fuel. One fuel filter won't do it. I once changed filters six times in three days offshore after I filled up at the wrong place. I carry a dozen elements for the off-engine Racor and 3 for the filter on the Yanmar.

Microbial growth in your tank - This will also clog your filters. I religiously use an antimicrobial (Biobar JF or similiar). BUT, if your tank may already have substantial growth, have it cleaned before starting this regime.

Charging - as suggested, carry a spare alternator (and charge regulator). These fail. They are easy to swap. Also belts and any fuses in the charging or starting system.

Starter - Starters don't fail nearly as often and on many engines are hard for a non mechanic to swap. Look at yours and see if you could change it. If your starter is more than 10 years old, think about having it changed before you leave.

Cooling - Spare impeller AND the tools to change it (some Yanmar engines have a special impeller puller tool). Think about having your heat exchanger core cleaned before leaving.

Broken hose - carry spare hose or a good tape to fix hose leaks. Carry enough coolant to replace everything in the engine if it leaks out. If your hoses (fuel and water) are 10 years old why not replace them now?

Batteries - I carry a spare AGM car battery in a locker with jumper cables (AGM's hold their charge well in storage). I charge it once a year. Never needed it but great peace of mind.

Instruments - oil pressure sender, temp sender, thermostat (these are all cheap and easy to swap)

Oil changes - The problem with doing your own oil changes is how to dispose of the old oil. So I carry a few oil filters and let a mechanic change it.

Other spares to have on board for a mechanic to install - engine mounts, mixing elbow, starter. These are expensive. I don't carry them. Someday I will regret that
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:49   #7

The mixing elbow is a very good point. While I don't have a Yanmar engine, it is one of the top ten on any list of Yanmar issues for skippers with those engines. I read a LOT of boating forums. They reportedly get blocked on a regular basis.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 10:59   #8

Mixing elbow & manifold elbow. We were disabled with this earlier this year and found it is a common replacement part. easy to bolt on, but impossible if you don't have it.
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 11:26   #9

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Hey Feckless,
At 2300 hours I would ask if you know the maintenance schedule has been performed correctly on your engine? Valve lash comes to mind. If you don't have an engine service manual that would be first on my list. At least you will have the information you need to become informed of your needs. And the basis for becoming the person that can fulfill them and the independence that comes with that as well.

The minor kit seems best to me. But it won't include your secondary fuel filters, Racor or whatever. Personally I carry multiples of all filters and belts, one is none and two is one as they say. You don't have to be in the Carib to be remote from yanmar parts.

When I get down to one spare item, that's when I seek more. So I'm never without common spares and I can share with another boater without totally eliminating my stock.

Off the top of my head:

Manual
Minor kit + secondary filters, extra belts, empellors, primary filters, oil filters.
Spare sealing washer and screw for the primary filter bleed. (Don't unscrew it all the way, it is slotted for bleeding.)
Remote starter switch, spare spools of marine wire, connectors, crimpers.
Spare starter, alternator, lift pump.
Engine oil
Trans oil
Antifreeze
Distilled water

And tools of course, plus things I failed to think of just now.

Depending on condition, it may be a good time to consider replacing the fresh water hoses on the engine cooling system, or add them to the spares list.

This post is based on my experience with a 3gm30f and six years of liveaboard life at anchor mostly and the needs I have experienced.

If you have ever serviced your own automobile, you might be surprised what you can do on your own when the situation requires it on the boat.
Old 26-05-2016, 11:33   #10

All of the comments above are quite true - the issue with dirty fuel is a given, as you get to lesser used islands, it becomes more so - consider filtering your fuel BEFORE going into the tank - have as many parts as you can afford - getting parts is going to be a real issue if you don't have them - air freight and duty rates can be outrageous - but if you have the parts, even small settlements will have someone able to fix it - and Yanmar's are great little engines and easy to work on ( in most cases )
btmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 11:34   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The Yanmar impeller tool is brilliant and what is really incredible -- cheap.

They specify that the impeller in their sea water pumps have to have threaded shafts. And their tool fits right in there, making impeller changing child's play.

So by all means, buy the impeller tool!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 12:14   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Take at least one engine fill of oil too, I had an oil filter O ring let go and had to put used oil into the engine, I was lucky to have the used oil on board.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 12:17   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Take at least one engine fill of oil too, I had an oil filter O ring let go and had to put used oil into the engine, I was lucky to have the used oil on board.
Ha, good point. That's probably the most important spare of all.

I keep 20 liter plastic drums of motor oil on board, at all times -- a couple of oil changes ahead.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 15:47   #14

You guys are awesome. Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, but am sure I will be happy someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-05-2016, 16:01   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

The things I used the most:

Filters, air, oil and fuel, but especially fuel. Get some bad fuel and you can go trough many of those quickly.

Belts

Impellers.

Injector wrench.

replacement hose and hose clamps.

screw drivers and wrenches necessary to adjust and access the above, including filter wrench.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar