Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2008, 09:42   #30

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
Lee board jon boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I am collecting parts to add a dagger board and a front deck to a big river jon so I can sail up in a jon boat
Leeboards should work nicely for this. I do like the name of a Jon boat..... LOL. Basically I would take a piece of pipe across the boat and two pipe flanges with plywood daggerboards attached. One on either side. Something to hold the pipe in place on either gunwale. Allow it to pivot so the boards could kick up if you hit something or beach the boat. Probably need a bungee strap to hold them down.

I am designing and will build a three piece nesting dingy, one rather square central section, and two pointy upturned bows that connect on either end. Each is sealed and would float on it's own. This is basically to make a very seaworthy good rowing dingy. I also have a fourth piece that will connect between the forward bow and central section adding about 4 inches in length. It will contain a structure to hold a centerboard and also a mast socket to make it a good sailing dingy too. This will mostly be made out of plywood sheets covered with fiberglass. I looked into using leeboards for this design but changed plans, they might change back.

I'm also building a full size bicycle with full size wheels that folds up into carry on luggage size, even the wheels. I might be able to make some money on this design. I am looking into a patent. Many boaters, travelers and pilots I think would be interested in this. It's been road tested and works fine. I need to find a set of disk brakes for it. I've been riding with foot brakes, a foot to the front wheel. I've got about 100 miles on it so far. It's a culmination of many folding bikes I've build and improved over the years of cruising.

Stuff like this is why I have and need a machine shop, welder and other tools on my boat. Jon