Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2008, 05:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Anchor size

Hi,
I found a bit of info on this topic but I thought I would ask the question in a separate tread. I will be buying a Mason Supreme shortly to replace my 45 pound CQR. My boat is a 40 footer and is fairly light at 18000lbs. The suggested size anchor for my boat is the 45 lbs but I was thinking of getting the 60 lbs just for the extra comfort at night. Now, I understand that anchoring is a system, and the effectiveness of it depends on more things than just the anchor and its weight. So, leaving all the other variables aside I figure the extra 15 lbs and added surface area will probably give me a better performance than the size smaller.

Have any of you bought a bigger anchor than recommended and regret it afterwards?

It seems like 15 lbs would not be that much more to handle, size, pull up etc... am I wrong?

Thanks for your help
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 05:54   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I have a 27000K sailboat, last week I purchased a 60 lb Manson Supreme, I also have 200 feet of 3/8 HT chain with 3/4 nylon on the end of that. Based on my reasearch I feel I will be able to sleep tight with this anchor/rode setup. However, for me it is as of yet untested... Do you have chain, if so how much? It really is all about the setup, IMHO.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 06:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Have any of you bought a bigger anchor than recommended and regret it afterwards?
I'm pretty sure in all the time I've been here no one has posted that complaint.

It is a total system so rode and windlass are also important. You need to do the math on how much tonnage you would have to reel in to make sure the windlass is up to the job. Chain numbers count too especially if you are using 3/8 in chain instead of 5/16th's. It is possible to have more anchor holding power than chain holding power. Extra chain is as good as an extra large anchor I think. Pulling up an extra 15 lbs by hand sure as does make a difference when also include the weight of the chain<g>.

Our last boat was only 15,000 lbs but we used a 33 lb anchor with 165 ft of 10 mm (3/8) chain. That adds up to over 350 lbs if all hanging straight down.

To honest I have 45 lb anchors now and we are 18,300 lbs displacement 14 tons gross. I would not think I would go much more but would prefer to save the weight for a spare anchor in case the main one gets lost or abandoned. It's OK to put out two anchors when things look tough. I would look at your total weight and start to decide where you can put it. On a long passage I wouldn't hang all that weight out on the bow especially a lighter boat (you are not all that light). Taking the bigger is always better is going to lower the water line. Everything is a trade off. Your total tonnage mounts up faster than you think. 15 pounds is also two gallons of water.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 06:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
A 60LB..

A 60lb Manson Supreme is overkill but it's your back!

BTW a 45lb Manson will DWARF a 45lb. CQR in surface area (read surface area IS holding power). The 45 Manson will have about the same surface area as 60lb CQR!

Here's a: CQR 25Lb. / Manson 25Lb. / 35Lb. Spade.
(notice that the Manson 25 has similar surface are to the Spade 35!!! This relationship to the others is linear as you move up the line.)

P.S. I run a Rocna 33Lb. on a 17,000 +/- boat and can't even get it to budge in storms..

Old 23-03-2008, 12:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

I'm in with everyone so far.
The 60 is a big bit of gear so make sure it'll fit if you decided to go that way. I have had the odd person say they thought they went a size up too much but they would be 1%, at very best, of those who have upsized.
Even though I think a 45 is plenty if you need a 60 to get the 'Feel good factor', go for it. No point have one too small you don't sleep. Maxingout gives a very good example of not having the FGF about one of his anchors so changed, over on the 'Which anchor helps you sleep' thread.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 13:05   #6

If I recall correctly from my marine experience years ago, it IS possible to have an anchor that is too heavy. If your boat isn't heavy enough to set the anchor, then there is the possiblity that you just drag it. Everyone points out that an anchor is a 'system' which is true. One of the components of that system is the weight of the anchor versus the weight of your boat.
Old 23-03-2008, 14:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

I'd agree with you MsDouleur, some do have anchors just silly in how big they are. But going up one size usually isn't a biggie. Assuming you're well aware that a 60lb plow is a lot physically smaller than a 60lb Supreme, for example.

Jumping up a couple or more sizes can raise the issue of whether you can set it well. Not to mention the unbalancing of your system.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 14:54   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I have a similar boat, 39 ft about the same displacement. I've got a 45# Manson Supreme and 200 ft 3/8 chain . After two seasons (about 12 months) of living on the hook I would not get anything bigger. These new design anchors out hold anything before them. Before the Manson Supreme I used a 44# Bruce which is now my secondary.
Old 23-03-2008, 22:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Hi,

Thanks for all the input! Well I think I am going to get the 45 after all. I didn’t realize how much bigger the surface area was on the mason, great comparative photo Acoustic. I’ve been looking at what many of you are saying about these new anchors as well as looking on other sites and I think that the extra comfort will come from knowing how well these new anchors perform VS having an anchor of a size bigger.

What a great site this is!!
Old 23-03-2008, 22:52   #10
Marine Service Provider

Vasco,

Just looking at your ancors hanging of the front there. Do you have one of your rollers sticking out further than the other?
Old 27-04-2008, 17:12   #11

Boat: Hartley RORC 32
Thanks for this, at moment I have a danforth and cqr
will look at a manson for sure as main anchor and 32 pound
those comparative photos are great
How much chain is good for my boat 32 foot rorc 7tonne displacement
any ideas and feelings, was thinking 100 feet
hooked on water is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor