Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 00:47   #46

Eye of the Beholder

I think we can all agree that there are beautiful boats and there are ugly boats and boats that are the wrong size for each of us. The wonderful part is: we all don't agree with which boats are which. So what. It is clear from what I've seen in this thread that some care more about it than others. Again, so what. As for me I want my boat to be as pretty and as safe and as comfortable as I can afford (not necessarily in that order). The fun and adventure will take care of its self. I can't think of anything else that matters.
porttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 19:57   #47

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
I'm a C sailor

I'm definitely a C type sailor. Quarter million dollar 45 foot ketch, bought with almost no money, mostly just hard work. Planning a 5 year circumnavigation, huge amounts of redundancy that I've installed. I've had refrigeration on the last 2 boats and never even tried them to see if they work. I almost never come up to a dock and I heat with a woodstove. I row a dingy or use a kayak and love it. I bicycle when I get to shore and enjoy a 5 mile ride. If I need something I first check the salvage and thrift shops, then I build it or learn to do without.

I learned how to cruise on a 30 footer. I've owned many sailboat in my life and everyone of them was bought at a yardsale or auction. I'll buy 4 broken ones and build up one good one out of the pile of parts, even if it might cost just a little more than one. I have plenty of spares that way.

I understand it's not the only way, but it's the way that fits my style. Hopefully I can find a mate that also fits this style and wants to have children too.
Old 08-12-2008, 00:26   #48

jheldatksuedu,
That was one hell of an Ad... Hope it works for you. Because if it does I'll craft one for my self. I always thought it was the A types that got the women.
porttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:49   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
I'm definitely a C type sailor. Quarter million dollar 45 foot ketch, bought with almost no money, mostly just hard work. .
Great looking boat for any price. I bet you love the reaction from people when you explain it was $5K.
You have shown a large boat can be purchased and even maintained for little cost, but I would caution others that very few people could do this.
I don't think You are a type C sailor. I think you deserve your own category. Type D.
Ps great web site too. If you find a cheap way of getting a seatalk to NMEA bridge please post who its done.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:25   #50

Boat: deboated
I cannot see the point of cruising without the bare essentials it seems pointless and certainly does not impress.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:14   #51

Bare essentials

The bare essentials are different for different people. That's the whole thing about this A, B, C and now D types. For some they would never consider life without a fridge, microwave, car, etc. etc.... For others a tent and a wood fire in the wilderness are just fine. I find a computer and the internet as an essential anymore, but I certainly don't need a refrigerator. I rate a microwave much higher on the essential list than a fridge. The problem with the fridge is it requires constant power and most of the stuff people keep in them doesn't need to be kept cold to survive.

I do need a sailboat, that's an essential also. I could sure do without a 45 footer but I got one. I will probably check the fridge eventually but if it doesn't work, no bigge, life will go on.

Different strokes for different folks.

Concerning the Seatalk to Nema, I've still got to work on it , I've got the stuff. Now that I'm down to one boat I'll have time for that. I'll know more in a couple months.

Getting the women part: I have no problem with attracting the women, and I'm sure I could get them too. But attracting the one that still wants kids and this lifestyle, that I've yet to find. Overseas I suspect it will be easier, that's one of my reasons for this trip. The exploration and adventure is just an added bonus. Dancing sure helps to attract the women, I learned to dance many, many, years ago, it's the number one thing I've done to be popular with the ladies. It's also fun and good exercise.

Most people are impressed when you tell them you will sail around the world and haven't worked for 10 years.... And that you enjoy life. Not all, some need the fancy cars to be impressed. Oh did I tell you I have a couple Lotuses and lots of other old British cars and American pickups..... (most have similar stories to the steel boat) I've worked hard for all this, and do enjoy the fruits of my labor. Have a great day...
Old 08-12-2008, 05:56   #52

Good for you Jheld. Nice to see someone who is not afaraid of bringing a boat back. I would advise most people though to stick with glass boats, it is an easier material to work with then wood or steel.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:13   #53

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Once again, I do not think that boat size has very much to do with "bare essentials." You can have all of the luxuries on a 30 ft boat: refrigeration, electrical power, watermaker, latest electronics... you name it.

It's about space, plus an extra knot or two of speed, vs the lower costs of a smaller boat. IMHO Americans (in particular) have been programmed from a very early age to think bigger and more expensive is better. That ain't necessarily so.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:29   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
I cannot see the point of cruising without the bare essentials it seems pointless and certainly does not impress.
I would encourage anyone to sail in a way that makes them happy. The concept of what constitutes "essentials" varies enormously from person to person more so with people cursing in boats than in most other groups in society.
I also dont see "virtue" in crusing with less. One of he point of the story (and maybe has been taken a little too seriosly by some people) is that many people who deem essentils too be loads of water, power gagets etc dont seem to be happy crusing remote locations.
It is easy to underestimate the difficulty of repairs when you don't speak the language, don't have a car, you are lucky to find any mechanic let alone someone with expertise in your broken piece of equipment and where there are no spare parts or dealers. The more "essentials" you need (note I didn't say have.) the more frustrating repairs in remote locations you will need.
People who can live with less when needed, in my experiece seem the happiest and most sucsesfull long distance crusers.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:11   #55

One of my favorite activities is walking off into the woods with the with a tarp and blanket rolled up slung on my back for a week. A flinter, a knife, and a gourd for water. Sitting against a leaning tree for 24 hours because that is the only semi dry space anywhere near by is an aquired taste, but it is also an addictive one.
I care nothing about what others think most of the time. I don't care if they like me, my eqipment, my looks, how I talk, or anything else. I am collecting parts to add a dagger board and a front deck to a big river jon so I can sail up in a jon boat over at Carlyle wearing cut off bib overalls, barefoot, wearing a straw hat and chewing on a straw! I find it hard to believe that the kind of folks willing to put it on the line out there care even a fig what others think. I have always been too busy with my own life to worry about how others handling theirs.
You would think that those out there woud be past worrying about what the jones have!
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I would encourage anyone to sail in a way that makes them happy. The concept of what constitutes "essentials" varies enormously from person to person more so with people cursing in boats than in most other groups in society.
You know, that is soooo true.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:42   #57

Lee board jon boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I am collecting parts to add a dagger board and a front deck to a big river jon so I can sail up in a jon boat
Leeboards should work nicely for this. I do like the name of a Jon boat..... LOL. Basically I would take a piece of pipe across the boat and two pipe flanges with plywood daggerboards attached. One on either side. Something to hold the pipe in place on either gunwale. Allow it to pivot so the boards could kick up if you hit something or beach the boat. Probably need a bungee strap to hold them down.

I am designing and will build a three piece nesting dingy, one rather square central section, and two pointy upturned bows that connect on either end. Each is sealed and would float on it's own. This is basically to make a very seaworthy good rowing dingy. I also have a fourth piece that will connect between the forward bow and central section adding about 4 inches in length. It will contain a structure to hold a centerboard and also a mast socket to make it a good sailing dingy too. This will mostly be made out of plywood sheets covered with fiberglass. I looked into using leeboards for this design but changed plans, they might change back.

I'm also building a full size bicycle with full size wheels that folds up into carry on luggage size, even the wheels. I might be able to make some money on this design. I am looking into a patent. Many boaters, travelers and pilots I think would be interested in this. It's been road tested and works fine. I need to find a set of disk brakes for it. I've been riding with foot brakes, a foot to the front wheel. I've got about 100 miles on it so far. It's a culmination of many folding bikes I've build and improved over the years of cruising.

Stuff like this is why I have and need a machine shop, welder and other tools on my boat. Jon
Old 08-12-2008, 09:43   #58

Boat: Bristol 38.8
To flog a dead horse just a bit, the issue of "essentials" vs "luxury" is a red herring.

My 30 footer (actually 28.5 LOD, 33.5 LOA) has all the "luxuries" except HDTV and a washer dryer. And there's enough space and battery capacity to install both of those items if I really wanted them.

It's about cabin space, not luxury.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:58   #59
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Boat size to me is about speed more than anything else. Anytime I can sail from destination to destination without exposing myself to weather the happier I am. I went with a 30ft. mono over 4000 miles, and I got slammmed while others were in a safe refuge. As much as I love the act of sailing. I love getting there quickly too......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13   #60

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
To flog a dead horse just a bit, the issue of "essentials" vs "luxury" is a red herring.

My 30 footer (actually 28.5 LOD, 33.5 LOA) has all the "luxuries" except HDTV and a washer dryer. And there's enough space and battery capacity to install both of those items if I really wanted them.

It's about cabin space, not luxury.

I agree...having everything at your finger tips has its place and its follower's...but my favorite announcement is ''You are now free to move about the cabin"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	747cockpit.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	6130  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote