Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2020, 06:54   #76

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: New manufactured "big" little cruisers?

Maybe a little repetitious, but...

Find an Alberg 30 and rebuild it with a mix of professional help and your own work. The boats cost about $10,000 these days. I found two near me by searching CraigsList. One is one Cape Cod and the other in Maine.

About 700 of the model were built so they aren't rare. Gut and rebuild, re-equip and go voyaging. I think you'd be one the water inside of a year and for reasonable money. The Alberg 30 is a fine example of good cruising design of the long keel era.

A simple solution. If I were going to voyage that's how I'd do it.

Best, Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:22   #77

Boat: Island Packet 29

I own a Cape Dory, but my heart is for Island Packet.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 15:01   #78

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
You won’t be sorry with a BCC. An excellent sailing boat. One named Pixie is doing a solo circumnavigation. I am attaching a photo of her course beating to weather in 25-40kts of wind. This just happened in the last day.

Also we have a couple of Facebook pages at Bristol Channel Cutter and Falmouth Cutter, plus one for Lyle Hess.

Enjoy
OK, I'll bite. In the photo it looks like there are four boats (or four tracks) going to windward. All four apparently motored the last half of the route, Which would not be surprising since there are very few boats which could sail upwind in 24-40 knots of wind in the ocean off of New Zealand, much less a full keel cutter, and make tacks like shown in the photo.

Please give us some details which would make that story believable, like ("the wind was light on the first day and we made good progress beating up towards Dunedin then the wind piped up. We tacked out and back in but by the third day it was too much and we turned on the motor, it was still a long slog")
Old 19-05-2020, 03:14   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
OK, I'll bite. In the photo it looks like there are four boats (or four tracks) going to windward. All four apparently motored the last half of the route, Which would not be surprising since there are very few boats which could sail upwind in 24-40 knots of wind in the ocean off of New Zealand, much less a full keel cutter, and make tacks like shown in the photo.

Please give us some details which would make that story believable, like ("the wind was light on the first day and we made good progress beating up towards Dunedin then the wind piped up. We tacked out and back in but by the third day it was too much and we turned on the motor, it was still a long slog")
I'll bet that the wind overlay doesn't reflect the entire passage. I'd be amazed if it blew that hard for days and no one knew it was going to and went out anyway. Probably the wind became more favorable during the time the track straightened out.
Old 19-05-2020, 06:35   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'll bet that the wind overlay doesn't reflect the entire passage. I'd be amazed if it blew that hard for days and no one knew it was going to and went out anyway. Probably the wind became more favorable during the time the track straightened out.
Could be, and in that case the track and weather displayed does not truly represent the capabilities of BCC, as inferred, does it?
Old 19-05-2020, 14:58   #81

Boat: a sailing boat

Given the dominant current runs N this would create hell of chop too eh?

Nonetheless, BCC is a great design that sails very well.

It is fast, seaworthy, comfortable.

An efficient boat. A good boat.

A cramped one too.

Definitely one to keep on the list and get, if available.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 16:23   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Could be, and in that case the track and weather displayed does not truly represent the capabilities of BCC, as inferred, does it?
Certainly not.
Old 19-05-2020, 18:32   #83

Quote:
of course not; the conditions shown were current at the time the track was posted, ie after it was run...possibly days after?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 06:54   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Nope. Not the way of the market, unfortunately.
True. Boat builders and sailors have learned over time that these old boats won't sell. Too heavy and boats are sold by the pound, about $20 @ lb.

Also not the way of modern design brought forward from thousands of circumnavigators' experience and technology that has greatly improved the sailing experience.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:34   #85

Boat: gozzard 44

There’s a nearly new Gozzard 31 MKII going on the market with the redesigned hull. Check with Gozzard.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 17:33   #86

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
True. Boat builders and sailors have learned over time that these old boats won't sell. Too heavy and boats are sold by the pound, about $20 @ lb.

Also not the way of modern design brought forward from thousands of circumnavigators' experience and technology that has greatly improved the sailing experience.

I’d take $20.00 @ lb for mine.... that’d put me around 750,000 or so [emoji3]
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 07:51   #87

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post

(...)

Unfortunately, in the cruising design, much more of development comes from mathematically modeled engineering, much less so from 'thousands of circumnavigators'.

Another huge factor is 'wrapping a hull around a most comfortable and spacious interior'. - The interior is designed up first and only then a hull to contain it gets drawn.

I am one (circumnavigator). I have never had any boat design company ask me a single question.

Navigator's experience is vastly disregarded.

With the only exception of racing boats like IMOCA, Mini, etc. - but these boats are practically never used for cruising.

So, to sum up, somewhere around late 70'ies or in the 80'ies crusing boat design became detached from sailor's experience. Hence Bavarias, Lagoons and the rest of the floating caravan homes.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 15:36   #88

A subject close to my heart.

The best small boat I ever sailed is a J28. Never sailed its contemporaries (C&C 29, Catalina 28, etc.) but the J28 is magic. I had some input to the J32. Barnakiel, too bad you don't meet enough designers. Designers, too bad you don't meet with enough Barnakiels.

So.... I am looking for a 1960s full keel blah blah sloop about 30 feet to rehab. There are some, many in poor shape. Bigger problem... Mrs Norm won't sail them, too tight, tender, small, blah blah.

More to follow
Old 20-10-2020, 08:00   #89

Continuing from above: I find a fair number of full length keel designs for sale on craigslist in the North East. They ask at prices from $0 to $10K. No idea what they trade at.

Since these types aren't being built any longer, I think about renovating one and then sailing it before selling it. Any thoughts?

Recently, the yard where I keep my Aphrodite 101 broke up some derelict boats including a Cal 30 Mark 1. I had considered her a project and rejected since I actually didn't like the type. There is a Triton 28 here on the Cape and I do like that type. Now, if only the owner/seller would reply to my inquiries.

A built new 28 to 30 foot old style (CCA) sloop will cost about $100k. A refurbished one will, I think command only a third of that on a good day. I think I see why there aren't any around.

Curious about how others evaluate the situation

Norm
Old 20-10-2020, 08:56   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Continuing from above: I find a fair number of full length keel designs for sale on craigslist in the North East. They ask at prices from $0 to $10K. No idea what they trade at....

A built new 28 to 30 foot old style (CCA) sloop will cost about $100k. A refurbished one will, I think command only a third of that on a good day. I think I see why there aren't any around.

Curious about how others evaluate the situation

Norm
A person who appreciates and really wants a CCA style sloop AND can afford a beautifully refurbished one AND is willing to pay a premium of $20-$30K over similar boat found on Craigslist is going to be a rare bird.

Most people who buy old boats do so because they are cheap, not because they truely love those old boats.

Tags
cruise, cruiser