Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 09:26   #61

Re: New manufactured "big" little cruisers?

Arlberg 30 would fit the bill and the bill would be reasonable.
radsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:44   #62

Boat: Moody 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Pillroller

Where are you? It could be UK. If so try Fisher at Chichester. may still be making their 29.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:57   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack_T View Post
Are dana 24's no longer manufactured? I read that someone had started making them again in the early 2000's but I dont think they still are
Yes they are being made again in Seattle under license from Pacific Seacraft. It is the PS dealer there that is trying to satisfy the demand for that model. If you are interested be prepared for sticker shock. Another option is to buy a used Dana and do an extensive refit if it needs it. That will be costly as well however worth it in the long run, Dana's retain their value and appeal very well.

For the cost of a Dana I would consider some of the other PS models that may not command as much of a premium, like a 34. Of course it will be more expensive to own a 34. Another option is PS in their earlier days produced some NON Crealock designs that are excellent values like an Orion 27'. That has been my choice, more reasonable to buy but not the resale demand and high price in the market.

Good luck PS boats are great choices.

Ben
S/V DAWN '83 ORION "C" plan
Americanrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:23   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooa View Post
There is a company that does build new sailboats close to 30 ft. Check out the Sirius 310ds. These boats are far from inexpensive but I just love their layout...extremely well thought, intelligent interior design.

I've been on this a couple times at the shows. Due to it's size, it's on my dream list and is an impressively thought out and well constructed boat. It is however, in the pretty 'up there' price band! The 35ds is well worth a look, too.
pjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:45   #65

Another recommendation for not so new but great under 30 ft sailboats - Nonsuchs! We had a 1986 30, which has as much space as another 36 ft and sailed her from the Chesapeake to the Turks and Caicos and now enjoy a 1986 26 sailing around Lake Ontario. We have made her totally electric powered, which works well.
Cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:25   #66

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

The Cape George folks used to welcome owners to come work on their own boats. I don't know if they still do it.
The (very good) shipwrights would do what ever the owner wanted, and the owner could do as much os as little as the like.
I live in Port Townsend in the 80s, when several owners were building their boats with professional help. Some came out even better than the company built boats, because the owners helped each other, learned skills, and did a lot of the time consuming work, like sanding and finishing
If you want to do some of the work, it could be a great way to go. Live in Port Townsend for a year or two, and help build your boat. Port Townsend is quite boat oriented,
gulfislandfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 22:16   #67

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

What about an Island Packet 349. Too big?
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:13   #68

Boat: Vancouver 27

Hi Zack, the Vancouver 28 is still in production. I own myself such a ship and it's all you ever want. Good luck with your surch. Greatings from Marino ... SY Marmana
marmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:37   #69

Boat: a sailing boat

Well, not exactly under 30 feet, but how about a 32 footer?

To name first two of the top of the head: Contessa 32. I have also spotted a stock new Marieholm 32 not too long ago.

https://www.jeremyrogers.co.uk/contessa-32-new-build/

Contessa does not meet all your criteria - e.g. she has a fin/skeg hull. But the Marienholm will have a long keel.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:37   #70

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack_T View Post
The bccs from them are beautiful and honestly exactly my style I'm going to email them today and see what they have to say
You won’t be sorry with a BCC. An excellent sailing boat. One named Pixie is doing a solo circumnavigation. I am attaching a photo of her course beating to weather in 25-40kts of wind. This just happened in the last day.

Also we have a couple of Facebook pages at Bristol Channel Cutter and Falmouth Cutter, plus one for Lyle Hess.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A01D55D1-31BA-4A11-A2EB-6E1572367F65.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	214703  
Old 10-05-2020, 13:25   #71

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Hey. Welcome and good questions.

A few years ago my wife and I did a refit of a 30 footer for a guy in Florida. The boat was on Cape Cod near our home. We spent most of a winter and spring and enjoyed it a lot, it didn't cost the owner that much. Certainly way less than a new boat and quite a bit less than a boat yard would have charged. He visited some times and did some work, too.

That said, many small yards are perfectly capable of refitting a boat for you to the level you need. We are/were looking into another boat to refit and sail away on so my thoughts are current. Boat yards are good at the big FG work, hull painting, electrical, plumbing, and engine work. They have the tools. Paint and varnish we can do very easily. Actually, we can do it all but a yard has all the tools and get the work done fast. We had a sailmaker do sails, of course.

Buy a solid hull and deck and the rest is not to challenging. Have fun.

Keep well, Norm

some pics of our "forever" boat now under renovation: www.averisera.com
not our sail away boat
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:26   #72

Boat: gozzard 44

Check out a Gozzard 31 or 36, new or factory refurbished.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 11:08   #73

I think the Dana 24 is either still manufactured or manufacturing of them only stopped in the last few years so you can get a nearly new one for relatively cheap. I'll echo what others have said about the value of older boats and how new ones are probably not as robust and will definitely need repairs and upgrades almost immediately. Seacocks, for example, on new boats are often not very resilient; saves the manufacturer money. De zincification is an ugly beast that can give you a good and unexpected close look at your masthead as you stand on the dock. There's always something to replace.

Anyway, I think Pacific Seacraft also makes a 31foot boat or stopped making them fairly recently. A quick look on Yachtworld will probably yield many boats to your liking.

If you're not that experienced, I'd highly recommend going cruising on one of these boats first to make sure it's what you want. I bought two boats prior to my current boat without first trying them and hated them both, thankfully the third one was the charm. Could have saved myself a lot of trouble, just testing them out first. Offering some money to the owner will probably grease the wheels, so to speak.

Good luck
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 15:38   #74

Boat: a sailing boat

I had a quick look at sailboatdata and they say Dana production stopped around 1999.

Yet PS is apparently still capable of delivering a new boat. Some of them indeed VERY nice. If I had that kind of money, a PS34 would be a most desirable small 'world' cruiser!

As for old good, versus new being less good, I would disagree. New boats will be as good as old ones - if we look at same quality of build and finish. Simply older crap boats tend to be already either on the skip, or else at the bottom.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 16:57   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I had a quick look at sailboatdata and they say Dana production stopped around 1999.

Yet PS is apparently still capable of delivering a new boat. Some of them indeed VERY nice. If I had that kind of money, a PS34 would be a most desirable small 'world' cruiser!

As for old good, versus new being less good, I would disagree. New boats will be as good as old ones - if we look at same quality of build and finish. Simply older crap boats tend to be already either on the skip, or else at the bottom.

b.
On Yachtworld there is at least one, I think it's listed as Pacific Seacraft 24 but same design (?) As new as 2003 but I remember looking at YW earlier in the year and noting a handful of similar if not identical designs essentially rebranded versions of the same and trying to imagine paying $114'000 USD for such a small boat. Wishing I could remember specifics but... they sure looked nice!

Edit: I see on seacraft.com they have a 23' 11" pocket cruiser they call a Com Pac 23 either in a pilot house or conventional style, maybe that's what I was looking at����*♂️

Yes I suppose the manufacturer makes all the difference. Admittedly, I have not sailed many newer boats.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser