Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2023, 20:25   #1

Boat: O’Day 40
Bilge pump actuators / switches

Ok, so maybe I’m a little bit anal about water in my bilge, but if there’s water in there, I want it out! After researching a lot of switches I noticed that most require 1.5-2” of water before they activate, why is this so. I’d be happy w/.5”?
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 20:34   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Bilge pump actuators / switches

• Submersible pumps don't run well with lower water; they suck air and it is hard on them.
  • Submersible pumps will overheat if not partially covered with water.
You can certain find switches with lower ranges, but they are not suitable for use with common submersible pumps.
Old 28-04-2023, 05:36   #3

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

A recent thread that might be helpful:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ow-275087.html
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 05:56   #4

I believe you have pinpointed the issue in your post, the lack of availability of a system to remove 1/2” of water is not the issue, for multiple reasons.
The issue lies in an obsession to remove that which does not need removing. If you’re unable to resolve that issue, perhaps a battery operated wet vac will alleviate your “anal” tendencies?
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 06:15   #5

Cheap
No battery consumption
Collects every last drop
Left the blidge clean
Doesn't let you down
Easy to use (well... depends on the depth of the bilge)

Spugna.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spugna.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	274718  
Old 28-04-2023, 06:22   #6

Congratulations on getting down to the absolute LAST problem with your boat!!!!!
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 09:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
Ok, so maybe I’m a little bit anal about water in my bilge, but if there’s water in there, I want it out! After researching a lot of switches I noticed that most require 1.5-2” of water before they activate, why is this so. I’d be happy w/.5”?
Bit of water in bilge? well what is the issue ? dead water, smell?
I have been using a small circulating aquarium pump 110 v Plus hint of Bleach
or blige cleaner
Works!
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 10:20   #8

Not sure why people are reacting so poorly to such a simple concept. Plenty of reasons to want a dry(er) bilge, standing water can smell, can slosh to other places while sailing, can corrode the tops of keel bolts and any other low-sitting equipment, etc. Did this thread find the people that prefer to ignore leaks and never rebed hardware? Because what’s the problem with a little water in a boat?

Anyway, as posted, the answer is a diaphragm pump and/or a sponge. You can use a little cheapo pump as discussed in the other thread I linked, or swap to (or just add) a Whale Gulper or something similar as a bilge pump.

Of course fixing the source of the water ingress is also extremely helpful.
Old 28-04-2023, 10:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Not sure why people are reacting so poorly to such a simple concept. Plenty of reasons to want a dry(er) bilge, standing water can smell, can slosh to other places while sailing, can corrode the tops of keel bolts and any other low-sitting equipment, etc. Did this thread find the people that prefer to ignore leaks and never rebed hardware? Because what’s the problem with a little water in a boat?

Anyway, as posted, the answer is a diaphragm pump and/or a sponge. You can use a little cheapo pump as discussed in the other thread I linked, or swap to (or just add) a Whale Gulper or something similar as a bilge pump.

I agree, maybe more helpful

Also because if the thing is occasional really a sponge is more than enough,
but if it's continuous, then it's better to solve the cause than the effect.
Old 28-04-2023, 10:40   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

The OP needs an Arid Bilge system. A bit expensive, but will keep it dry. https://aridbilgesystems.com

another similar system:
https://www.seaflousa.com/product/se...-bilge-system/
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 11:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post

I didn’t react poorly, I don’t think anyway.
So, with a keel stepped rig that has internal halyards……yeah, a little water in the bilge is a given. And being old school in that I prefer not to have a dripless shaft gland because when they fail its a major pain…..,,aaaannnnndddd, throwing an eye on the shaft gland on a regular basis is just good seamanship, well that means a little water in the bilge too.
Funnily enough, even though my bilge has a little water in it, it smells just lovely, I personally would not waste time , effort and money chasing a little water away.
But thats just me.
Like I stated, a battery operated wet vac would work just high ho pip and dandy!!

If his vessel leaks like a sieve, you are absolutely correct, plug some holes eh!
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 20:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
I didn’t react poorly, I don’t think anyway.
So, with a keel stepped rig that has internal halyards……yeah, a little water in the bilge is a given. And being old school in that I prefer not to have a dripless shaft gland because when they fail its a major pain…..,,aaaannnnndddd, throwing an eye on the shaft gland on a regular basis is just good seamanship, well that means a little water in the bilge too.
Funnily enough, even though my bilge has a little water in it, it smells just lovely, I personally would not waste time , effort and money chasing a little water away.
But thats just me.
Like I stated, a battery operated wet vac would work just high ho pip and dandy!!

If his vessel leaks like a sieve, you are absolutely correct, plug some holes eh!
Yeah it’s not a big deal, I was just surprised to see several posts in quick succession that sounded (to me) to ask “why would you think this is an issue?” When that part seemed obvious to me. Maybe mostly just tone lost in translation.

Our old boat had internal halyards and a keel stepped mast, after we got the mast boot sorted it took extended rain to let noticeable water into the bilge. Maybe our mast cap was a better-than-average rain guard? We also had a traditional packing gland, obviously that always dripped, but very slowly when at rest. The bilge was divided by structural ribs with large holes for cross-drainage, but it took maybe 1/8” of water in one section before it started spilling into the next. At anchor the packing drip would take days just to get past the aft-most compartment.

The thing that’s always confused me is how it’s considered catastrophic if water gets at keel bolts from below, but so many people seem fine with letting the threads and nuts at the top sit in bilge water 24/7/365? That’s what sent me down the dry-bilge rabbit hole.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump