Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 20:24   #46

Boat: Racer/Crusier Columbia, 40
Re: New manufactured "big" little cruisers?

ZackT

You might want to consider and take a look at the Flicka 20! very tough boats that go anywhere you want! Some have porta potties and some have the head aft on port side of boat. Might what to check into this!

Good luck in your search!
Old 01-05-2020, 21:25   #47

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Haven't read all the posts yet - but here is my pick; new Pacific Seacraft 31:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/202...ft-31-2934816/
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:30   #48

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Consider a Shannon 28. Excellent seaboat built to a very high quality. I've heard that Shannon will refurbish a used one at the factory to new condition and make any changes the owner desires. That's about as close as you can get to new.

The last few they built in the late 90's were around $175K, so to build one new to the same quality and finish, I'm guessing you'd easily be looking at 250K these days if not more.

https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-revie...ed-boat-review
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:13   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Except everything is never good to go. A brand new boat comes with a boat list too.

You’d be a lot better off getting one of the designs you like. Get one in workable shape. Already good to go and not neglected.

If it’s been a little neglected, pay someone to refit the boat. Hire help.

They aren’t making boats like that anymore. You need to get a hull that’s of the type you want first and foremost.
+1. New boats, even by high end builders, often have some issues to resolve...and then there is refitting a barebones new boat to your wishes. You can find well outfitted older boats in good condition at a good price...takes some effort, but they are out there.

Case in point. A friend, who knew zip about boats or sailing, bought his first boat many years ago. It was a great little Pearson 36 ketch, being sold by a retiring cruiser. It was in great shape, super well outfitted, and very reasonbly priced. A great deal. Fast forward to a few years ago , same friend upgrades to a catamaran. He found a good used Lagoon 38, but it was not outfitted for cruising. He has now spent more than the purchase price of the good old Pearson in outfitting costs and now better appreciates what a great deal that first boat was!

There are lots of older designs that meet your objectives. Finding them will take some effort, but they are out there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:21   #50

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

This thread jogged my memory. Another new boat contender is Seaward. Great boats, very well built, and sail well. A friend owns one. He wanted a smaller cruising boat for local jaunts that just he and his wife could handle easily.

http://www.seawardyachts.com/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:13   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Haven't read all the posts yet - but here is my pick; new Pacific Seacraft 31:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/202...ft-31-2934816/
Ooo! Good one Smokey!

I'd forgotten about Pacific Seacraft because of unconsious bias.

Zack, it would be a beautiful boat for your needs... I think they also make a 27, if I remember rightly...? (Closer to the size you were requesting)

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 23:11   #52

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Ooo! Good one Smokey!

I'd forgotten about Pacific Seacraft because of unconsious bias.

Zack, it would be a beautiful boat for your needs... I think they also make a 27, if I remember rightly...? (Closer to the size you were requesting)

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
yeah - well I am a bit prejudiced ...
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 23:43   #53

Boat: Southerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack_T View Post
Hi all,
I'm curious what designs are available new that have a fiberglass hull,long keel ,heavy discplacment and under 30 ft if any.
Are there any builders even smaller yards that do work like this anymore?
I love designs that are rugged simplistic cruisers that sail big but it seams like nobody makes small sailboats like this anymore.
Is there anything new that comes even close to what I'm looking for?
Cornish crabbers? very traditional..
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:28   #54

Are dana 24's no longer manufactured? I read that someone had started making them again in the early 2000's but I dont think they still are

There may have been one or two after this, but as a former Pacific Seacraft dealer the latest I have seen is 2007. They sold the molds to Seacraft in Seattle, but they are too expensive to build.
Davevda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:30   #55

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I looked at Pacific Seacraft 31's back in the day but ended up buying a Caliber 33. A bit over 30 ft. but I would have sailed that boat anywhere. As it was, I sailed to the Eastern Caribbean and back again to Chesapeake Bay as well as to Bermuda and up and down the East coast. There are some out there in pretty good shape because they were built well to begin with. Not a speedboat but it will get you there, wherever that is.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:32   #56

Boat: Alberg Odyssey 30 - Dawntreader

Like Chotu implied, you're only really buying a hull as all other systems will eventually need retrofit, replacement, etc.

I was looking for an Alberg 30 when I found my Odyssey 30 - built from the same plans.

Many Alberg 30's have circumnavigated. (Jean du Sud)
yert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:12   #57

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Around here Island Packets are popular and have a great reputation for build quality. Most of the ones I see look like new, (something about the mindset of a typical Island Packet owner, they keep their boats up).

So an Island Packet 29 is a full keel boat under 30'. Last made in 1997, but that's a lot newer than most of the boats people are talking about in this thread. But maybe this boat's does not fit the image if the boat you want.

However, if I was planning to do much single handed cruising I'd find a more modern hull shape, one that can sail any direction in any weather. A full keel boat won't do that. If you find yourself on a lee-shore in 25 knots of wind you'd better hope your engine is working.

The romance of sailing an old fashioned design is appealing but reality isn't always like the romantic vision we sometimes become enamored with.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:30   #58

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

A friend sells Boston based Hallberg-Rassy 29, late 80’s in an amazing shape, new Beta (Kubota) diesel and a lot more in upgrades. The boat crossed the Atlantic from Europe in 2018, basically, single handed. - $20,000
You cannot get any other top global quality blue water fast and safe cruiser at this shape and price.
PM me if interested
Old 08-05-2020, 08:42   #59

Try Pacific Seacraft, despite the name they are built in North Carolina.
Pacific Seacraft is the award winning manufacturer of ocean going sailing yachts. The Pacific Seacraft manufacturing facility is located in Washington North Carolina. The company was featured in the book The Worlds Best Sailboats by Ferenc Mate. Paci
Old 08-05-2020, 09:10   #60

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

I would highly recommend the 28’ Bristol Channel Cutter. They are currently built by Cape George in Washington state. I would guess a new build will be somewhere between 300-350k. A new Pacific Seacraft 31 goes for around $340k, but I don’t know what that price includes. Here is a chart comparing the two. Notice the 28’ BCC is a little heavier displacement. A good way to compare boats is price per pound, use the displacement figure.
Good luck and have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEC3A29C-DCC1-4310-9179-849F8E57D7A5.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	381.2 KB
ID:	214629  

Tags
cruise, cruiser