Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2023, 14:22   #1

Trailer or sail-her?

Just bought a 25ft, long-keel (4ft draft) ~7 ft wide sailboat in California, now I need to find a way to get her down to New Jersey. She doesn't have a trailer.

A few freight companies were quoting me 1.5k to 3.5k to get her on a flatbed and build some wooden supports, drive her over here. On the low end I'm not even sure how they'd afford gas, but 3k did sound somewhat reasonable to me.

The companies with sailboat experience were quoting closer to 15-18k if they use their trailers. They pretty much universally suggested that I buy my own trailer and call them back.

I tried finding a trailer, how do you even do that? Do you have to get a custom made? Find a used one for any similarly sized sailboat and will it work?

Perhaps another approach is to go with one of the boat-moving companies and take a much shorter route from San Diego to Corpus Christi and just sail the rest of the way over the winter.

Hoped I could tap into collective wisdom here-- how would you do it?
HobbesNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 15:04   #2

Boat: Endeavour 32
Re: Trailer or sail-her?

25x7 would not require oversize permits and should be light enough to pull with a 3/4 ton pickup.
You can look around on FB market, CL, ebay, post a wanted here for a trailer.
Sailboat trailers usually have some adjustment to them. If not mods are cheap and easily fabricated. Find one thats close to your needed size and go from there. I’d recommend dual axle.

You should easily be able to do the round trip cross country in 2wks.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 15:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Harmony View Post
light enough
Should have specified 4200lbs. Probably still okay though depending on the trailer weight?
HobbesNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 15:10   #4

Boat: Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbesNYC View Post
Should have specified 4200lbs. Probably still okay though depending on the trailer weight?
Thats light, with the right trailer most 1/2 tons and SUV’s could pull it.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 14:39   #5

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Just bought a 25ft, long-keel (4ft draft) ~7 ft wide sailboat in California, now I need to find a way to get her down to New Jersey. She doesn't have a trailer.

A few freight companies were quoting me 1.5k to 3.5k to get her on a flatbed and build some wooden supports, drive her over here how would you do it?
Trailer across the country.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 03:57   #6

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Looking on Craigslist or Facebook will usually turn up several trailers. 3K is about average price. If you're going to drive over to California to get it you have lots of places along the way where you might find a trailer.

I think I would really go with buying my own trailer rather then letting someone ship it. If you don't see needing it afterwards you can always sell it

Old 29-04-2023, 04:09   #7

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I found this on Craigslist...trailer for rent

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa...609712916.html

Old 29-04-2023, 05:00   #8

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=HobbesNYC;3771344........................... .................

Hoped I could tap into collective wisdom here-- how would you do it?[/QUOTE]

========================================

I trailed my Hunter 25 from Omaha, Ne. to San Luis Obispo driving a 1974 rusted Toyota Landcruiser. late 80's?

Made a man out of me!!!

It was an interesting adventure, drove through Salt Lake City during the flood, when the highway was protected with sandbags both sides, felt like sailing the Ark!!!!

The Continental Divide is almost, 12000 ft high, my old Toyota’s engine will stop frequently starving on oxygen.!!!

One of the 4 trailer posts slipped out and have to manage to get it back in!!!

My side mirror kept track when ALL the trailer's wheel were right on the border of the road!!

Added to my sailing memories.

Love it!

With a more suitable vehicle, will do it again.

good luck!
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 06:17   #9

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

My story if it helps.
Rented a low boy trailer of 4500 lbs., and had a ball welded to the bed of my 1977 f-250. Built a cradle out of 4x4's and left them long since the boat was still in the water and the bottom shape a mystery.
Drove up to Annapolis from N.C.
Had the boat hauled (30ft. and 7500lbs.) and set on the cradle where I cut the 4x4's to an approximate angle with a chainsaw. Then I screwed on some carpeted pads, and adjusted the lateral supports.
Strapped the whole thing down with 2 straps, and headed off. It was a bit nerve wracking to bounce around D.C.'s potholed beltway with 5 lanes of traffic.

All told the rig was 12,000 lbs., 13.5 feet tall, and 8'9" wide. (I did not get a permit.) I physically ducked for awhile going under overpasses. Lost a wheel off the trailer halfway home. It was a blast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013113083839.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	274770   Click image for larger version

Name:	013113083820.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	274771  

Click image for larger version

Name:	013113083752.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	274772  
Old 29-04-2023, 06:45   #10

Boat: Dufour 29

Agree with all who say trailer it yourself. When you are done you can either sell the trailer or store it and be able to trailer again. If you plan on using trailer again, it's a good idea to have a long or extendable tongue on the trailer because it will have to back deep into the water to float the boat -- or else just have it lifted off at a marina. Make sure any vehicle you use to tow has towing capability in its transmission (transmission cooler). You don't need that big an engine for a comparatively modest pull, but extended towing can burn out an automatic transmission.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 06:45   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

A few freight companies were quoting me 1.5k to 3.5k to get her on a flatbed and build some wooden supports, drive her over here. On the low end I'm not even sure how they'd afford gas, but 3k did sound somewhat reasonable to me.

The companies with sailboat experience were quoting closer to 15-18k if they use their trailers. They pretty much universally suggested that I buy my own trailer and call them back.

I tried finding a trailer, how do you even do that? Do you have to get a custom made? Find a used one for any similarly sized sailboat and will it work?

Perhaps another approach is to go with one of the boat-moving companies and take a much shorter route from San Diego to Corpus Christi and just sail the rest of the way over the winter.

Hoped I could tap into collective wisdom here-- how would you do it?
Go with one of the companies that will do it for cheap on a flatbed . Just make sure they are properly licensed and insured. You also want to make sure to get an insurance binder from them . ( paperwork that proves they have freight insurance that covers your load on their trailer.
I'm retired long haul company owner operator. Newhaul= Newby hauling.
Old 29-04-2023, 07:10   #12

If you get a trailer, it's going to need to have a good set of brakes. Luck has nothing to do with safe trailering. So, good brakes, fresh tires, and fresh bearings, and watch your speed (slow) to avoid sway.

"Down" to New Jersey? Oh, well.

If I was contemplating what you're thinking about doing, I hope someone would tell me I'd be better off selling the boat and buying another in New Jersey. And that I'd listen to them.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, trailer