Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 09:02   #46

Re: Motion sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecris View Post

All I'm saying is we all have our experiences and conclusions - and that we certainly have the right to voice and share them with others. To offer them - not push them on someone.

And that is - importantly - without being ridiculed or trashed by someone else who has had different experiences or thinks differently.
Exactly.

Motion sickness is a strange illness/disorder since it affects people differently and treatments do not work consistently with all people. The drugs that are available have side effects, some of which have been posted, but many have not.

My wife has a medical condition, and using at least one of the motion sickness medicines, could cause her to go blind. Yes, blind.

So we have to look at ALTERNATIVE ways to deal with her motion sickness.

We don't really have the option of following taking one pill that can make us sleepy and take another the keeps us awake, aka, speed. Even if we had the option, it would a treatment of last resort.

I have had family members try a variety of motion sickness treatments, most of which failed, but some worked. I believe the sea bands worked, but since that is not a pill prescribed by a doctor, I am sure some would not consider them science.

I ordered the Motion Ease and we will try it next trip. It was cheap and I don't see how it can have a bad effect. It cost 5% of some anti nausea pills I have had to buy in the past. It will either work or not work and the cost is a who gives a rat's a...s. If it does work, it will be worth a heck of a lot more that what I paid.

Glad Motion Ease was mentioned.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:05   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa17 View Post
I used to use Sturgeon but since I started using CBD for orthopedic pain I haven't had motion sickness.
What dose CBD of do you use? How often?

Anyone else using CBD for seasickness? I'd be glad to ditch my Sturgeon as it still makes me feel a bit "off" - although less than the other types of pills
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:12   #48

The only sure cure for sea sickness is the shade of an Oak tree.
Captain Rick 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:22   #49

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Tums! Or any other similar OTC antacid. Take one or two at the first sign of queasyness, and more as needed.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:27   #50

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

Scope patches have always worked for me, though some folks experience side effects. I have had a doctor prescribe it for smoking cessation as well, calling it a 'receptor blocker' and it worked for that as well....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:50   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
Sleeping on the boat the night before may help as long as it's not on an overly stiff monohull that rolls at anchor. This and ginger pills and Dramamine.

IMO, manning the helm helps too. It allows a measure of prediction as to the future motion of the boat helping to provide extra feedback to help sync up your brains expectation of motion and the actual motion based signals that your inner ear produces.
Try motion eze ... Walmart sell in a small bottle.. just a drop on finger and apply behind each ear.. no tired or queasy feeling like drama mine
mikey9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 10:29   #52

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
I have a friend with a weird theory. He says sleeping on a boat the night before a charter actually helps with motion sickness reasoning being the mind/ear gets adjusted to the sea. Have a charter with one guest being prone to sea sickness. Not sure whether I should recommend that. Thoughts?
Avoid caffeine and take your pills about an hour before your first trip. By the second day you should not need the pills. By the way that only works for me, have no idea how others go.
Old 26-10-2020, 11:43   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Exactly.

Motion sickness is a strange illness/disorder since it affects people differently and treatments do not work consistently with all people. The drugs that are available have side effects, some of which have been posted, but many have not.

My wife has a medical condition, and using at least one of the motion sickness medicines, could cause her to go blind. Yes, blind.

We don't really have the option of following taking one pill that can make us sleepy and take another the keeps us awake, aka, speed. Even if we had the option, it would a treatment of last resort.

I have had family members try a variety of motion sickness treatments, most of which failed, but some worked. I believe the sea bands worked, but since that is not a pill prescribed by a doctor, I am sure some would not consider them science.

I ordered the Motion Ease and we will try it next trip. It was cheap and I don't see how it can have a bad effect. It cost 5% of some anti nausea pills I have had to buy in the past. It will either work or not work and the cost is a who gives a rat's a...s. If it does work, it will be worth a heck of a lot more that what I paid.

Later,
Dan
Two non-medical options are the French Boarding Glasses (look funny as hell) and the ELECTRICAL wrist bands. They are $200 at West Marine. My Wife is nt even try the glasses on (they have no lenses, but level floats) but won’t take the wrist band off. For her the wrist band is important. Maybe psychosomatic but if it works I love it.

Here is one link, there may be others.

https://www.reliefband.com/
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:01   #54

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

Emetrol. Calms the stomach w no effect on the nervous system.
And yes spend more time on board before departure.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:01   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
I have a friend with a weird theory. He says sleeping on a boat the night before a charter actually helps with motion sickness reasoning being the mind/ear gets adjusted to the sea. Have a charter with one guest being prone to sea sickness. Not sure whether I should recommend that. Thoughts?
Yes, spending the night on a boat the night before is helpful.

Another trick we've learned is to drink extra water to hydrate yourself before sleeping on the boat. Usually, our crew only sips some water in the morning and may eat only a few chips or crackers...two hours before launch.

The idea is to start sailing with an empty stomach. Hence, the importance of significantly hydrating yourself the day before. After two to four hours of sailing, then you can start to sip some water and have some crackers. Very little to start. If you feel fine, then you can slowly intake more food and water.

Our crew storm tests equipment so they've had to figure out ways to reduce sea sickness. Drugs can work, but usually make you want to sleep.
Fi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:12   #56

My wife, who has been sailing for some 50+ years suffers from motion sickness.

Remedies that work to varying extents include wrist bands, crystallized ginger (best as ginger biscuits). Best of all is to put her on the helm - concentrating on the horizon and sails, basically.
GarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:30   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Dannc

I certainly hope the Motionease works for you.

A old fashioned rule in medicine is to affect the cure with the least invasive technique. For sea sickness this hierarchy of treatment would consist of a physical cure first: activity, exercise, wrist bands, ear plug. The second tier would be a skin applied patch, ointment or oil: Motionease, Scopolomine patch. The third tier would be an oral medicine: dramamine, Sturgeon, bonine, etc. A last tier would be something injected IM or IV. This heirarchy, relatively speaking, is from least likely to the most likely to have side effects.

Skin application of substances can be systemic, scopolomine for example. It is very likely that essential oils (Motionease) will enter the body's circulation as well.

The real goal is to get rid of sea sickness with the least effort, minimum side effects and cost.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:30   #58

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Exactly.

Later,
Dan
lol the placebo effect is a well documented scientific phenomena, and no shame in exploiting it

jury is still out on acupressure I say if it works for you, don't investigate too far or you may find out it stops working
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:56   #59

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
lol "essential oils" are for cooking and making cocktails. There's a much science behind essential oils as there is sticking pins in a wax doll or making incantations in a fog of incense smoke while wearing a funny hat, but....

Seasickness is often in the mind as much as the body. Its often fear based for example. For some people the cure is less physical than mental. If they BELIEVE something will work, it often works
Belief always helps but isn’t mandatory, equally true is that if you believe something won’t work, it generally doesn’t. If you are open to the possibility of something happening, you remove the impediment that stops it from happening.

I hope you see the irony in your opinion.

Don’t trash someone else’s experience quickly or lightly, think about what you’re saying about their experience, the validity of what they have lived through. Judgment is not appropriate and certainly doesn’t add anything of quality to the debate.

Regards
David
Far Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 13:00   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Two non-medical options are the French Boarding Glasses (look funny as hell) and the ELECTRICAL wrist bands. They are $200 at West Marine. My Wife is nt even try the glasses on (they have no lenses, but level floats) but won’t take the wrist band off. For her the wrist band is important. Maybe psychosomatic but if it works I love it.

Here is one link, there may be others.

https://www.reliefband.com/
Thank you.

I THINK my wife has tried the non electrical bands years ago but they did not work for her. I will ask her to make sure she has tried them.

If the Motion Ease does not work, we will look at the link your provided. Right now, knock on wood, on our recent day sails, she has not been seasick. Staying in the cockpit, limiting time below and staying at the helm has helped her greatly. One interesting result has been her sitting facing the beam helps her not get nauseous. That is very odd to me but it seems to work for her. Go Figure.

My wifey has fed the fish twice in rough weather. The first time was on a trawler off the coast of Ireland where we were going down wind in short steep 6-8 foot waves and 30-35 knot winds. We had been on the boat for a week or so with no problems. The second time was in our ASA classes where we had short, steep waves, of maybe 4 feet in 25ish knot winds while we were sailing upwind. That boat was flying off the waves, we where healed over, and hauling a....s. I was really surprised how fast the 32 foot boat could go. The wifey was fine.... Until she went down below to go the to the head.

She fed the fishes after being tossed FROM the head. We really should have heaved too. NOW, we heave too she as to go to the head.

But, there was more to it than the motion, I think, in both cases, there was a common food element....

She likes shrimp and shrimp is one of the few sea foods she will eat. We had eaten at the same restaurant for 2-3 nights and she had shrimp each night before she got sick. The morning she go sick, she woke up with a swollen face, lips, throat and tongue. It sure looked like an anaphylactic reaction to me. However, her reaction had obviously happened over night and she quickly recovered so we went sailing. She has never had a reaction to food like this so it was a bit odd to say the least.

One of the things we eat is nuts and dried fruit. The fruit and nuts providing energy and potassium which one needs if one is sweating. The dried fruit we were eating both times my wife got sick was dried mangoes...

After this trip, she was land sick for weeks and months, aka Mal de Débarquement Syndrome (MdDS).

Long story short, her digging into MdDS to solve her problem got down to diet. She has to stay away from histamines, i.e., eat a low histamine diet. Once she did that, her MdDS went away. Took a few months but at least it went way.

What are high histamine foods? It is some processed food, or food that has aged like sour kraut, but it also includes nuts and dried fruit. Both times my wife fed the fishes was after eating nuts and dried fruit. She no longer eat nuts or dried fruit. Shrimp, shell fish in general, is high in histamines. The shrimp she ate the night before she got sick WAS a different type of shrimp than the previous nights. Sooo, the different shrimp could have had more histamines that the previous shrimp, or she just ate too much danged shrimp. In either case, she does not eat shrimp anymore.

For pain relief we have been using TENS units for years. I wonder if a TENS unit would work? Not really valid for long term usage while sailing because of the wires but it was be easy for us to try....

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote