Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2018, 05:32   #1

Boat: Contessa 28
Motion Sickness Gadget (may it work?)

Charles Darwin once wrote to his father. “If it was not for sea-sickness, the whole world would be sailors."
You think that they finally found the solution... ? Check this new gadget . it is called OtoTech by Samuel Owen.
otolith_pamphlet_.pdf
Maybe now my wife will agree for the Atlantic northern passage
GJori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 05:51   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Motion Sickness Gadget (may it work?)

Have her read "Atlantic Circle" by Kathryn Lasky Knight if you're looking to do that. She had issues with mal de mer too, crossing (twice) on a Cheoy Lee 30, and her own solution.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 10:42   #3

It seems like every decade or so someone comes out with some new gadget or medication that is guaranteed to be THE solution for seasickness. And yet, so far, none of them are. Most will work for some people, but as sailors have known for centuries now, there is only one solution that works for everyone -- two hours spent sitting under a tree.

I don't doubt that some people will find this new gadget useful. I would bet the farm that it will not be the absolute solution for everyone.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 11:35   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, GJori,

Often, claims are exaggerated for stuff that's supposed to stop seasickness. I'm one of those people who has tried just about everything, before settling on Stugeron (cinnarizine HCl) for my treatment of choice. Mostly people experiment till they find what works for them. In my case, I tried many over the counter including dramamine and meclizine, and wrist bands to press on an accupressure point, as well as the scopalamine ear patches. For me, Stugeron has the least side effect, and I quit feeling nauseous. For me, it is the feeling nauseous that is the problem, not actually throwing up. After 3 days, I don't need it unless it suddenly gets rougher again, then I will. I worked very hard with myself to learn everything I could do to help my body accommodate to motion. For me, it is a life long issue, I was carsick as a child. There are some interesting articles online about things you can do to minimize motion sickness, look at studies of pilots.

I don't think I personally would like wearing that gizmo. It interferes with a sun hat (if you get sun on your Atlantic crossing), and would definitely interfere with the headlight I wear on night watches, it would slide down to my nose off the other band. It may or may not work. If it does, it should suit some people, but I can't help wondering if your wife might also have some other issue relative to the crossing. If it is ONLY the seasickness, then, yes, perhaps the gizmo would work for her, and herself not have any problems with it. It would become her friend. Show it to her and see how she reacts to the idea. If she likes it, then no worries. If she is doubtful, perhaps something else is bothering her, as well, that she has not yet put into words.

Ann
Old 21-11-2018, 14:22   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The marketing material makes sense. Apparently the idea is to overload the inner ear with other stimuli, possibly masking the movement sensation.

Now if there were peer-reviewed, repeatable, double-blind studies, I'd totally believe it. Meanwhile, I hope some folks give it a try and report back here.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 14:41   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Placebos are great only when you think they work. Corrolary - the more expensive it is, the more the buyer believes it works.

After 3 days, sea sickness usually subsides regardless.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 18:42   #7

This Reliefband got a great review in PBO recently.
Apparently developed for people on Chemo.
I see they have a new style one as well that looks like a Fit-Bit or something.
Anyone else tried one?

https://www.reliefband.com/
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 19:04   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Ann, where do you get Stugeron outside the uk? I agree it’s easily the best, but it’s not here in NZ.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 21:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Ann, where do you get Stugeron outside the uk? I agree it’s easily the best, but it’s not here in NZ.
Have you tried the "Paihia Bombs" from the Paihia Pharmacy? They seem to have been very popular for decades among the NZ sailors thru the Pacific.
They will post, and even internationally.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 21:27   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Have you tried the "Paihia Bombs" from the Paihia Pharmacy? They seem to have been very popular for decades among the NZ sailors thru the Pacific.
They will post, and even internationally.
Never heard of it. Here's what it reportedly contains
Quote:
The Paihia Pharmacy's seasick remedy (Paihia Bombs) is a product which has been available from Paihia Pharmacy for many years.

The formulation comprises one blue tablet and one white capsule. These two make one days (24 hours) dose. The tablet contains an antihistamine effective against motion sickness. The capsule contains caffeine and hyoscine. The caffeine counteracts the drowsiness that may be caused by the antihistamine, while the hyoscine is an anti-nauseant.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 12:44   #11

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
This Reliefband got a great review in PBO recently.
Apparently developed for people on Chemo.
I see they have a new style one as well that looks like a Fit-Bit or something.
Anyone else tried one?

https://www.reliefband.com/
Works for me and my friends
rotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 13:18   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Neville-
I've used, and sworn by, the electric Relief Band for years, and across several models. Their newest one is USB-rechargeable, which is probably a nice concept. The FDA-approved model is a disposable one, approved for morning sickness as well as chemo. Then they had a "heavier duty" one, still sealed and water-resistant but disposable, and a model that uses two coin cells, slightly oddball not the common 2032 but we have ways to make things fit.(G) The rubber plug over the battery compartment was really mickey mouse. So, maybe the new USB model solves that, since there are waterproof USB ports out there.

The ear shaker looks like it would be worth trying--if it came with a trial and return. Or if two guys in Shenzhen started selling clones (there are clones of the Relief Band now too) for $22.95.(G)

One has to wonder, is the ear gadget just for one-eared sailors? Or are there two gadgets, one for each ear? Or does it work if you just "distract" one ear? Those are the kind of things I'd expect to find in the brochure, if the makers really had their act together.

Maybe I could just put my cell phone in my hat, and set it to vibrate?(VBG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 14:32   #13

Hi GJori,
On my first long distance sailboat voyage, from Panama to San Diego, I wasn't sure how I would be affected by sea sickness, so I purchased a pair of pressure point wristbands from the local West Marine outlet. Fortunately, I never got sea sick, but one of my crew mates did. After being sick for two days, she started using the wrist bands, and found relief within another day. Don't know if she finally became use to the motion or if the wrist bands had some beneficial effect. Five years ago they were about $10 a pair. Here is a link to the current product https://www.westmarine.com/sea-motion-sickness
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 15:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

My Wife would heave looking at a sea scape. Just riding in the front seat of a car was misery.

She now uses:
1-Scopalomine patch
2-Relief band, electric band. You CAN force the battery tray in upside down, once.
3-Sturgeron. Be CAREFUL. Powerful stuff and can have bad side effects. When she first tried it she got a pack from a store in the DR, they were 70mg dosage. The NORMAL AND RECOMMENDED dosage is 15mg. It can give you “sturgeon induced Parkinson’s” which can take upwards of a year to get over.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 16:09   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Motion Sickness Gadget (may it work?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post

Sounds nuts, but I bought ours on Ebay.
It was shipped from a pharmacy in Cyprus to the US, where it can’t be bought.
Go figure
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote