Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 18:19   #1

Motion sickness

I have a friend with a weird theory. He says sleeping on a boat the night before a charter actually helps with motion sickness reasoning being the mind/ear gets adjusted to the sea. Have a charter with one guest being prone to sea sickness. Not sure whether I should recommend that. Thoughts?
downwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 19:20   #2

Re: Motion sickness

Sleeping on the boat the night before may help as long as it's not on an overly stiff monohull that rolls at anchor. This and ginger pills and Dramamine.

IMO, manning the helm helps too. It allows a measure of prediction as to the future motion of the boat helping to provide extra feedback to help sync up your brains expectation of motion and the actual motion based signals that your inner ear produces.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 12:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
I have a friend with a weird theory. He says sleeping on a boat the night before a charter actually helps with motion sickness reasoning being the mind/ear gets adjusted to the sea. Have a charter with one guest being prone to sea sickness. Not sure whether I should recommend that. Thoughts?
I get seasick and up until my last 3 month cruise it was pretty severe and debilitating.

When I bought my current boat I launched it and stayed aboard in a calm bay for two days before heading out sailing. I then took it easy on a sheltered stretch of coastline for the next few days and kind of built up from there. The only time I vomited was after a ten day stay in a calm marina and the cumulative effects of sleep deprivation.

So, to answer your question, yes, it will likely help them. Also, if they can spend some time on the water prior to the trip with you it will help.

A sailing school I took a course with actually had us sleep aboard the night before our departure and I think it was for this very reason.

Good luck!
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 13:00   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
In my experience, it will help, if there is mild motion on the boat over night. If it is totally still, not much will happen in their semi-circular canals.

Of the OTC motion sickness treatments available in the US, we found meclizine HCl worked okay. Not as good as Stugeron (cinnarzine HCl) by a long shot, for me, but okay, and way better than nothing. If there's time to get Stugeron (understand it's available mail order out of Canada, and possibly England and Belgium), for us, it has been the best we've used.

That said, though, some people do fine with ginger tea, or candied ginger, even ginger snaps. Some people do fine with wrist bands, that either push on or electrically stimulate an accupressure point. For me, I didn't throw up with them, but it is the queasy feeling I don't like, so I prefer to get rid of that.

But everybody's different. I would tell the guest to read about motion sickness, and buy some different things to try and see which one works best for them.

Incidentally, there are many threads about motion sickness here on CF. Use the CF Custom Google search under the search button, there was a new thread on it about 2 weeks ago, and you'll find a few of them.

Ann
Old 20-10-2020, 13:25   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

But motion sickness normally does not pass over 24 hours. So you may start up with a person already sick and unhappy.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 14:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Be careful of your Sturgeon dosage. It comes in at least 2 dosages, one much bigger than the other. My Wife asked for Stugeron and got the bigger (forte) stuff and ended up with Parkinson’s like symptoms. Her problems cleared up, but that is not always the case.

She still uses it but is now much more careful about dosing.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 14:27   #7

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Well, we sleep on board every night, and have for 34 years. We still get seasick when we go into the ocean, not serious, mind you and neither of us have thrown up, but we don't like the feeling and don't eat. (Judy doesn't even like to be below).

After three days we're fine and eat like horses, and can do anything.

For this reason we prefer longer passages than short ones.

Stugeron helps, (says Judy) if she remembers to take it before embarking.

One time, standing off the Colombia River Bar on my friend's boat waiting for a tide change to cross the bar, on a cold, rough day, I was the only person out of a crew of six who would go below. After a while, with everyone freezing, they started asking me to go get their gloves, or watch cap, or jumper, or whatever. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 trips to find it because they didn't know where they left the desired item. I can tell you that I almost lost it myself on that trip rummaging around for hats and gloves.

Finally, long before the tide changed and the bar flattened down, we all decided it was flat enough, get us out of here, and we surfed in, no problem.
Old 20-10-2020, 15:51   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Wingsail,
Good story well written.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 18:06   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

MotionEase is an across the counter anti-motion sickness/vertigo medication that costs about $5-6 at Walmart (more at West Marine). Safe for kids and applied to an area behind each ear. Lasts forever (my bottle is 20+years old). We keep it aboard for susceptible guests.

No side effects that I have ever heard of. Everyone I have recommended it to that used it raved about the effectiveness.

For $5-6, what do you have to lose.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 19:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
MotionEase is an across the counter anti-motion sickness/vertigo medication that costs about $5-6 at Walmart (more at West Marine). Safe for kids and applied to an area behind each ear. Lasts forever (my bottle is 20+years old). We keep it aboard for susceptible guests.

No side effects that I have ever heard of. Everyone I have recommended it to that used it raved about the effectiveness.

Phantom Jim, I know it is not trendy these days to believe in science, but I do.

So how about we discuss the science behind this over the counter anti-motion sickness snake oil? What is in it, how does it work?

And your suggestion, Just try it, what do we have to lose?

Well this actually is an irritation to me: What you suggest is that we should try anything and everything which comes along, what do we have to lose?

How about, put dog-do on your back, what do you have to lose?

I looked for information about it. There is NOTHING from anyone who isn't selling it.

The ingredients appear to be "Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang Ylang"

Sorry, this is snake oil.
Old 20-10-2020, 19:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post

Phantom Jim, I know it is not trendy these days to believe in science, but I do.

So how about we discuss the science behind this over the counter anti-motion sickness snake oil? What is in it, how does it work?

And your suggestion, Just try it, what do we have to lose?

Well this actually is an irritation to me: What you suggest is that we should try anything and everything which comes along, what do we have to lose?

How about, put dog-do on your back, what do you have to lose?

I looked for information about it. There is NOTHING from anyone who isn't selling it.

The ingredients appear to be "Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang Ylang"

Sorry, this is snake oil.
Old 20-10-2020, 21:51   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Yes, I would and do recommend that. Even if the boat is not moving, it seems to help with just relaxing on the boat in general which helps. It is not a magic cure but it does help IME. When I used to take kids out on Scout trips I usually had them sleep on the boat the night before just for that reason. Usually the ones who had slept on the boat the night before were far more relaxed, acclimated and suffered less than the ones who showed up at dawn for the trip. And that was a boat that wasn't moving much in the harbor. It's not very scientific but it works for me. I am not sure it has to do with the inner ear, I think it just gets your body at peace with being on a moving object and the relaxation and reduced anxiety is what does the trick. But that is just my weird theory.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:06   #13

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

we’ve been using Stugeron for years with great results even taking it after feeling queasy. As already posted watch your dosage. We use two 15mg pills to start then one 15mg every 8 hours. When we lived in the states we ordered from Canada. It is OTC in Mexico. For us no side effects just no seasickness...your mileage may vary
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 17:00   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

OK Wingssail, how about this?

Motionease has helped me overcome debilitating seasickness as well as helped many people with motion sickness I have recommended it to. It is a blend of essential oils and is applied to one's skin behind each ear. It is inexpensive at about $5-6 At Walmart, somewhat more at West Marine. Look it over and give it a try if you think it might be of help. I have no financial stake in the sales of this product and I have no knowledge of any scientific studies supporting its use.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 19:15   #15

I take one Gravol ( Dimenhydrinate) the night before departure, and one on the morning of the departure. I am good to go from there on.

Motion sickness is idiosyncratic. It affects different folks differently.

I cannot stand the side effect of TransV Scopolamine. My wife, a pharmacist, cautions against its use as it affects cognitive ability. She tells me I have enough issues with that without using using the patch.

If all else fails, sit under a tree; that works every time.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote