Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 22:10   #1

Trans SCOP Side Effects: Dizziness, Post Motion Sickness

One of the "12% of patients get this" side affect of trans SCOP is post motion sickness, nasea, etc... 24 hours after removing patch. That's me!

I returned from a 6-day medium-scetchy ocean voyage, Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands. Used two patches as directed. Removed the patch upon docking at noon. Walking around on land for a couple of hours I was still "moving" but that's to be expected, then fine. About one day later started feeling motion sickness, dizzy, nauseum again. As of 10pm, I am on my third day of this. Really scary & crappy. I cannot get into the DR. till Tuesday because of the holiday. Has anyone else had this side affect & how long has it lasted? I know everyone is different. I will call the pharmacist tomorrow & get their feedback.
rpoint16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 22:37   #2

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Trans SCOP side affect, Dizziness, Post motion sickness...

Talk to your doctor, of course; but the next time you might want to try Scopace pills instead of the Transderm SCOP patches. The patches are far stronger dosage and last 72 hours. The Scopace pills last only about 4 hours and have very minimal, if any, side effects other than 1 hour of drowsiness.

The added benefit of the pills is that you don't take one unless you are experiencing seasickness. Seasickness is quite variable and you might not need medication every single time you board a boat or make a passage. With the pills you wait until you are feeling discomfort and then take one. About half-hour later drowsiness sets in; sleep an hour or two; and almost always one wakes up feeling okay.

A number of visitors aboard our boat over the years have tried the pills rather than the patches. Every single one of them has reported the same experience. Even on a long passage, one rarely needs to take more than one or two pills.

FWIW, I used the patches for years. At the time it seemed that anything was better than being seasick. In hindsight I am not so certain that the side effects of the patches were really worth it. The last time I used a patch the people with me made me remove it because I started telling them how beautiful the 5 moons were that night instead of the single moon everyone else was looking at.

Hope you are back to normal soon.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:36   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

My wife had the same reaction the first (and only) time she tried Transderm Scop patches. The after effects lasted for three days, then went away on there own.

If you use the patch again, try cutting it in half for a lower dose. Be sure to thoroughly wash your hands after handling the patch. You don't want to get any in your eyes.
Old 06-09-2011, 16:50   #4

Thanks for the feedback.

It lasted 4 1/2 days. I'll try the pills or maybey stick to dramimine next time. I just need to find out what works for me I guess.
rpoint16 is offline   Reply With Quote