Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2022, 20:14   #1

Island suitable navigation gear

We have received a grant from the UNDP to fit out the prototype cargo proa, set up sustainable boatbuilding courses at CATD and start plastic recycling. What was going to be the bare necessities for navigation on the boat, grudgingly paid for by me, has now become state of the art.

I am way out of date on what is available, so would appreciate any feedback.
The boat will be delivering cargo to and from mostly broken coral beaches near remote villages, initially in Eastern Fiji. The first route will be Bau Landing to Leleuvia resort,which is pretty tricky at low tide, with only a couple of unlit pole markers to show the way.

The crew will be trained to use and look after the equipment, but it needs to be 'island suitable'. ie, rugged. This is a work boat, not a racing or cruising yacht.

The supplier needs to be knowledgable and enthusiastic,*ideally with an agent in Fiji and able to communicate in basic terms to the electronic ignoramus (me) who will be installing the equipment.

What I think is required for navigation:
i) Waterproof chart plotter with a big touch screen, visible in sunlight, with waterproof connections, MOB function and the ability to overlay Google Earth and to make notes and add items to the charts. The boat will be sailing off the beaten track, nav markers are uncommon and there are a lot of poorly surveyed and changeable areas where we want to go.
ii) Back up for the above. This should be handheld/portable so it can be used on the Mini Cargo Proas built by CATD students and used for sail training. Ideally they use the same data (GE overlays, notes) as the main one.
iii) Depth sounder with in-hull transducer so there are no holes in the hull.

For safety:
i)Tracker to send position, speed and course to a shore based station.
ii) Weather service. Initially, trips will be 100 miles or less, daylight only, but reliable forecasts are always good.
iii) Sat phone or similar
iv) Personal and ship's EPIRB'sv) Flares
vi) 4 man liferaft
vii) Sea Safety course

Other stuff needed? Recommendations? Comments?
Thanks.
rob denney is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, navigation