Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2021, 05:00   #16

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: How much could be the fair price of this Albin Vega?

Once you take legal possession of the vessel, you are totally responsible for it.
If it sinks, spills oil or bumps into an other boat, you get the bill. Since you live very far away, you have two choices. Pay someone to take care of the boat, haul it out and pay storage or assume the risk of any legal action which could be taken against you.
You chances of winning a case against you will be very low and the courts can not just award damages against you, but all the legal costs to take you to court and all the fees of their attorneys.
Talk to any attorney certified in Maritime and Admirality and they will confirm my cautions. People buy a boat, something bad happens and any mistake turns into a nightmare and they loose everything...their savings, their house...everything.
Free boats are not free.
If they gave YOU $ 10,000, for a seaworthy vessel, my advice would be to take half and use it as a retainer for a local certified attorney.
It’s not a seaworthy vessel to begin with...correct?
Save up your money and keep improving your skill set and boating knowledge and buy a dinghy. Time will come. Neither be discouraged nor foolish.
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and the manatee crew who get their pizza money doing TIG work for micro breweries offering free beer as well.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:42   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How much could be the fair price of this Albin Vega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Poor boat!

What d'ya think her story is, Boatie?

Look at that shredded UK flag! So I guess a transatlantic and then the Owner packed it in and put her up for sale...? She looks as if she's been sitting there a while, however.

LittleWing77
I believe the owners live there (but I could be wrong), she sits on her own private mooring and she's cruised the Caribe over the years. For her age she's not bad, I have seen worse interiors in Nic's of the same age in the UK so to me she looks okay from what one can see in the pictures.
However from the sound of the Vega the Nic is much superior in every way, accommodation, tankage, seaworthyness, wind pilot, wind gen, dinghy, outboard, the list goes on. For a 50yr old boat she looks pretty good to me but then I do shop at the bottom of the bin unlike many here..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:17   #18

Lovey:

Oi, oi, oi! Talk about throwing cold water, eh :-)?

But as MySaintedFather usta say: "It's for your own good!"

When I wrote my fist post, I was thinking that I should tell you that if the PO gave you title to the boat and threw in, say, seven grand, you MIGHT consider it. I forbore for fear that you, like LittleWing has, would come to consider me just another grouchy old man :-) But now I don't have to run that risk. The Manatee has taken it for me :-). Pay attention! He's spot on!

Half a century ago, just about the time the first Vega took to the water, I was an instructor in anything from Cal20s to a 27 ton William Garden designed ketch in which I took three couples at a time, couples theretofore unknown to each other, on ten day long "crooz'n'learns" in what is now called The Salish Sea. I have an "ethnic" affinity for the Vega cos my early sailing was in my native Denmark in boats even smaller than the Vega. So believe me when I say that the Vega is NOT the boat for a modern-day North American woman :-)!

TrentePieds is a "raised saloon" ("pilot house") sloop. We own her because my wife LOVES her. Me, not so much, for a whole lot of technical reasons, which we can discuss if you like. The "take away" from that is that the design desiderata that make for a good sailer are almost always in conflict with the desiderata that make for a good live-aboard. Men tend to stress the former, but women tend to stress the latter. So some time when you are in the mood we can delve into those things :-)

You haven't said if you have any formal sailing courses behind you. I'm outta touch these days with that side of things, but if you are in the Twanna area and you feel the need, LittleWing can point you in the right direction. Or, now that we can travel again, if you want to do a cruise'n'learn in the Salish Sea, I can do so.

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I believe the owners live there (but I could be wrong), she sits on her own private mooring and she's cruised the Caribe over the years. For her age she's not bad, I have seen worse interiors in Nic's of the same age in the UK so to me she looks okay from what one can see in the pictures.
However from the sound of the Vega the Nic is much superior in every way, accommodation, tankage, seaworthyness, wind pilot, wind gen, dinghy, outboard, the list goes on. For a 50yr old boat she looks pretty good to me but then I do shop at the bottom of the bin unlike many here..
Sounds really interesting I'll check it out. It's actually listed lower than the Vega as I just realized the owner is selling in euro not USD
loveytsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:27   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Watch out for an old OMC 10 hp if it tends to run on one cylinder chances are the upper main bearing is shot and not worth repair.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 13:41   #21

Boat: Grampian 26

Vega's a good boat, I know someone who crossed the pond on one, and as said, a young gent circumnavigated NA in one.

I have a Grampian 26 in my hayfield I'd sell for $2500 CD. It's very sound, needs one bulkhead replaced (marine ply) and has no holding tank. Good sails, recent furler, 9.9 HP Yamaha extra long shaft with charging, not much electronics.

I'm in NS, PM me if interested.

Apologies if I violate protocol with this message.

Keep well, good luck with your search, DR
donregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 13:59   #22

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

There’s literally a dozen ALBIN Vegas for sale on sailboatlistings.com from 2500$ to 11500$, I would pass on it. Get something close to you fix it and sail it down, you gain the experience of knowing the vessel and if you don’t feel comfortable sailing down then you will not sail it across the Atlantic.
If you think you will be fixing a boat down there, when you are in a hot climate with little cell service and limited marine resources for a “classic” vessel at the end of its life, I would think it through again.
Save some more money, hold on to the dream, keep looking, and definitely keep reading posts it will give you good insight into the real cruising world discussions, opinions, tasks and personalities….and a couple of nautical trolls as well.
I have a vessel I could and will live on, I am 4 years way from that and have been steadily working to that point, boats are expensive and require constant attention unless you are a neglectful owner and the universe is full up with them.
It is cheaper to charter a vessel down there than it is to own a vessel down there, that’s not BS that’s the truth.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 15:33   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

You can get a beaten up Vega for free in Scandinavia.

I think the top price is some 10k for a very very very nice one.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:23   #24

Here you go, LoveyT,

As discussed

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210707_121950_01.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	241696  
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:47   #25

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

If the boat is named TARKA you can look it up on youtube.

I am looking for a boat and pay close attention to prices. Ten K is too much even if in perfect condition. If in perfect condition it wouldn't for sale it would be sold.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:00   #26

The Vega is also not a very good Caribbean live aboard boat. Not much ventilation. Tight below. Narrow beam. No good place to store a dinghy. The outboard will be useless except in the calmest conditions as the prop will come out of the water in any sea.

You are going to spend well over $10K to own a live aboard sailboat - or at least one that is safe and reliable. The cheaper the purchase price the more it will end up costing. Assume that you'll spend at least $10k on repairs and upgrades on over the first 12 months of ownership - even one in great shape. Most spend $25k.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:21   #27

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

check out the site: www.velocir.com and the related youtube channel

They have a "costs" page on the web site. Informative
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:21   #28

Boat: Sailboat 51'

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveytsquared View Post
Hi Sailors, I've recently found a Albin Vega in a location that looks really ideal for me, and a seller that seems to be really nice and patient. I'll need to go to check out the boat in person but before that we both want to be sure I want to buy it before flying over to check it out. I want to make an offer but I've never bought a boat before so I'm here asking for some basic ballpark price just so that I don't make an offer too low, also to make sure I'm not paying too much either.
Here's some basic info:
the boat needs a repaint,
no inboard engine but an outboard 10HP 2-stroke Johnson sailmaster,
sails are not new, there's repairs but usable,
dinghy broke, but has a 2.5hp motor,
With solar panels and electronics, set up for living aboard, as the previous owner did, and crossed the Atlantics.
There's also a link to the boat I can send in PM. The asking price is $9500USD, does that sound fair? Thanks for the help!!

Take a look at my boat. It's not in the Crib, but in Mexico, Mexico is easier to get to as there is a major international airport within 1/2 hour.
Set up and ready to go now.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...co-252576.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Ken
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:49   #29

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveytsquared View Post
Hi Sailors, I've recently found a Albin Vega in a location that looks really ideal for me, and a seller that seems to be really nice and patient. I'll need to go to check out the boat in person but before that we both want to be sure I want to buy it before flying over to check it out. I want to make an offer but I've never bought a boat before so I'm here asking for some basic ballpark price just so that I don't make an offer too low, also to make sure I'm not paying too much either.
Here's some basic info:
the boat needs a repaint,
no inboard engine but an outboard 10HP 2-stroke Johnson sailmaster,
sails are not new, there's repairs but usable,
dinghy broke, but has a 2.5hp motor,
With solar panels and electronics, set up for living aboard, as the previous owner did, and crossed the Atlantics.
There's also a link to the boat I can send in PM. The asking price is $9500USD, does that sound fair? Thanks for the help!!
To give you an idea about getting old boats in decent shape here's is my story. It wasn't my first boat it was my 12th or so but first monohull and it was 75 miles away not a long distance.

I bought my Bristol 27 for $2,000 in 2011 and sailed it this entire tme while working on it in Winter mostly.

Over the next 10 years I did the following.

The boat was a 1974 and the mainsail was original. I replaced it with a new 8 ounce main. $1600. (2012)

The diesel failed next so I replaced it with a new 4 stroke 5 HP 25" extra long shaft Mercury. $1550. (2011)

Next replaced the autopilot $450. (2012)

Added solar. $400. (2012)

Replaced the halyards. $300. (2019)

Replaced the dodger and mainsail cover. $1500. (2019)

Painted the entire boat and 3 bottom Jobs. $1500. (2011, 2015, 2019)

Replaced VHF with VHF/GPS/AIS. $350.

Added custom made settee Cushion. $750. (2019)

Replace tiller. $100. (2019)

Added Raspberry Pi 4 computer for Chart Plotter with HDTV display. $200. (2019)

Inverters 400 and 1500 watt. $200. (2012)

Outboard brackets. 2x. $500 for both. (2011, 2019)

Shades and LED Cabin Lamps. $300. (2019)

Misc. $500 plus.

The boat came with two main anchors (CQR and a Bruce) with chain and rode plus 2 more Danforths.

Dodger, autopilot, GPS (2), depth, etc, etc.

So if you start at around, $9,000 you can add in a new outboard and sails at least. Then maybe bottom job and that paint is around $200/gal. I can get away with a gallon and a quart for two coats.

As far the outboard in seas, I usually don't use it if there is any wind, but I had to get back recently and the wind was on the nose as was the tide.

I crossed the 18 miles motorsailing in 5 hours. Not fun but the outboard did stay in the water in 2 foot plus waves. I did have to wait for the wind and waves to lay down a bit though before using the outboard so I sailed a couple hours to get lined up .......on longitude.

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:59   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Last Fall, one of the Hamilton marinas posted a Kijiji ad with 3 or 4 abandoned boats that they wanted to get rid of.

Two years ago, Outer Harbour Marina disposed of (read: cut up) - I think it was 27 abandoned boats.

LW77

I wonder how many (if any) of those cut up boats were salvageable.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega, price