Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 16:13   #1

How much could be the fair price of this Albin Vega?

Hi Sailors, I've recently found a Albin Vega in a location that looks really ideal for me, and a seller that seems to be really nice and patient. I'll need to go to check out the boat in person but before that we both want to be sure I want to buy it before flying over to check it out. I want to make an offer but I've never bought a boat before so I'm here asking for some basic ballpark price just so that I don't make an offer too low, also to make sure I'm not paying too much either.
Here's some basic info:
the boat needs a repaint,
no inboard engine but an outboard 10HP 2-stroke Johnson sailmaster,
sails are not new, there's repairs but usable,
dinghy broke, but has a 2.5hp motor,
With solar panels and electronics, set up for living aboard, as the previous owner did, and crossed the Atlantics.
There's also a link to the boat I can send in PM. The asking price is $9500USD, does that sound fair? Thanks for the help!!
loveytsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 16:33   #2

Re: How much could be the fair price of this Albin Vega?

You say: "... before flying over to check it out"

Where are you flying from and where are you flying to? The Albin Vega is a nice little boat, with emphasis on the "little", and rather an antiquity. This specimen, according to what you tell us, is in need of a few kilobux of repairs and upgrade, so why bother? Particularly if it'll put you out some money for airfare and for a survey.

And if you have to FLY to see it, how are you gonna get it home?

Functionally equivalent boats (this size and condition) are a dime a dozen around here.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 17:44   #3

mainly bc its already in the Caribbean and I plan to keep it there and live aboard for a while bc I live in Canada. I feel like it would cost more money to sail a boat down to the Caribbean from Canada. And at some point id like to cross the Atlantic on the boat. I dont know whats "here" for you? but I'm for sure open to other options if they are better
Old 05-07-2021, 17:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Nearly 10K is an awful lot for a Vega, no matter what condition. I had a Johnson Sailmaster once, nearly 20 years ago, after they had stopped making them. How old do you think it is by now?
Unless you're a serious DIY person, a boat that old with an engine that old that far away is not something I'd want to get into, even for a third that price.
Old 05-07-2021, 17:57   #5

Cheap boats are often very expensive to own. Experienced harbormasters deal with auctioning boats from time to time. I'd bet they would jump at a $0 bid to avoid cost to have it chopped up so they can free-up the slip for a paying customer. There's a hint there about why the seller may be motivated.

This is no way to start your dream. If you need to sell, what are thr chances you'll find another 'you' to buy the boat sight unseen?

Cruising dreams are hard to accomplish under the best of circumstances. Give yourself a fighting chance. Find a boat with an engine, decent sails/rigging, and a dinghy. This boat is no bargain if it were free.

Good luck

Peter.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 18:06   #6

I agree with Trente, Benz and Weebles, Lovey. +1

Whoever this Caribbean owner is, they are coasting on the Albin Vega's overall reputation, which doesn't seem to translate to this particular example.

Trente Pieds is out in BC (Canada), but I would respectfully add that as a boat owner, he may not be as familiar with the current craziness of the boat market and its inflated prices (even in BC) - such as $10,000 USD for an old, tired Albin Vega with an outboard, for pity's sake. Sounds like a nightmare to me.

I would say pass on this one and keep looking.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 18:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Cheap boats are often very expensive to own. Experienced harbormasters deal with auctioning boats from time to time. I'd bet they would jump at a $0 bid to avoid cost to have it chopped up so they can free-up the slip for a paying customer. There's a hint there about why the seller may be motivated.

This is no way to start your dream. If you need to sell, what are thr chances you'll find another 'you' to buy the boat sight unseen?

Cruising dreams are hard to accomplish under the best of circumstances. Give yourself a fighting chance. Find a boat with an engine, decent sails/rigging, and a dinghy. This boat is no bargain if it were free.

Good luck

Peter.
on a side note, would I be able to find some of these deals by just calling up marinas?
Old 05-07-2021, 18:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I agree with Trente and Benz, Lovey. +1

Whoever this Caribbean owner is, they are coasting on the Albin Vega's overall reputation, which doesn't seem to translate to this particular example.

Trente Pieds is out in BC (Canada), but I would respectfully add that as a boat owner, he may not be as familiar with the current craziness of the boat market and its inflated prices - such as $10,000 USD for an old, tired Albin Vega with an outboard, for pity's sake. Sounds like a nightmare to me.

I would say pass on this one and keep looking.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
Good to know. How much would you pay for something like that? I'm thinking about just telling the seller a price if he's ok with it then maybe I'll go ahead, if not i'll just pass.
Old 05-07-2021, 18:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Nearly 10K is an awful lot for a Vega, no matter what condition. I had a Johnson Sailmaster once, nearly 20 years ago, after they had stopped making them. How old do you think it is by now?
Unless you're a serious DIY person, a boat that old with an engine that old that far away is not something I'd want to get into, even for a third that price.
I was asking a previous person how much they would pay for something like that. At this point I'm thinking of just giving a number if they are ok with it then I can go ahead with further discussions, if not i'll just move on.
Old 05-07-2021, 18:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveytsquared View Post
On a side note, would I be able to find some of these deals by just calling up marinas?
Just keep a lookout, Lovey. Don't call the Marinas. That will only aggravate the hell out of them. Instead, stop by and walk the yards.

Last Fall, one of the Hamilton marinas posted a Kijiji ad with 3 or 4 abandoned boats that they wanted to get rid of.

Two years ago, Outer Harbour Marina disposed of (read: cut up) - I think it was 27 abandoned boats.

Right now, there's a not-bad Grampion 26 for sale in Toronto for $500 that started off a couple of weeks ago for $2,000... I think it's in Etobicoke. [Edit: Sorry - just checked Kijiji and looks like it's been sold]

With a little diligence, you'll find your boat.

Good luck!
LW77
Old 05-07-2021, 18:45   #11

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

As a Vega owner that is way over priced. I've spent a lot of time and a bit of money working on mine and it was in pretty good shape when I got it, freshwater boat only ever sailed on Lake Ontario. Over the last ten years I've done new diesel, instruments, sails, upholstery complete, paint complete, dodger, anchor and more. I think I would be lucky to get 15K Cdn for it now if I was inclined to sell.
Old 05-07-2021, 19:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveytsquared View Post
on a side note, would I be able to find some of these deals by just calling up marinas?
Good question - I've seen a few boats sold at auction, but often to a no-bid and they get chopped-up. Frankly, the boats were worn beyond belief and missing stuff. The harbor masters I've seen (two to be exact) just went through the basic motions of advertising the boat - they pretty well knew it wasn't going to sell and just wanted to tick a box to resolve any legal claim should an owner show-up too late. That said, I have a friend who picked-up a Newport 28 in decent condition when the US Navy left Treasure Island (San Francisco) and sold-off their rental fleet. This was 20-years ago, and she paid $3000 or something minimal. But that's a rare story.

You're obviously willing to travel some distance to find a boat. Have you considered a trip to Rio Dulce, Guatemala? Already in the Caribbean. I've never been, but sounds like a decent place to spend some time, and there seems to be a common place for cruising dreams to fizzle-out so there are some decent deals on boats that are reasonably well equipped, maybe need refreshing. This forum would be a good starting point to find a broker/contact in The Rio, but my hunch is your best bet is to go down with plan to buy if you find the right boat. I'm pretty sure the brokers there get plenty of online tire-kickers looking for a bargain. Anyone who shows-up in the flesh would get a much different treatment.

Best of luck to you. It's a good dream, and, assuming you have some grit and DIY skills, you're on the right track. Just wrong boat to start with.

Peter

PS - if your heart is set on an Albin Vega, you may want to see if there's an owners group. As the moderator of a cult-boat (Willard Trawlers), I can tell you that you will get an honest representation of any boat offered for sale.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 22:44   #13

Lots already said in this thread, so I won't add much to the direct topic at hand.

However, an Albin Vega sailed around the Americas and broke a couple world records with Matt Rutherford at the helm. Check out his documentary Red Dot on the Ocean.

The point - they can sail. I agree with everyone else in the thread that the one the OP is questioning isn't a good place to start. If you found one for cheap or free back home and could really pick it apart before acquiring it that is one thing.

Last point - I am not sure I would want to make the Caribbean my sailing school. So the post that mentioned perhaps looking elsewhere around the Caribbean for a boat doesn't sit well with my train of thought - that being of the understanding that the OP is buying his first sailboat and would be immediately sailing it elsewhere to dock where they are wanting it. I say get some experience back home before diving in as deep as how it appears. I would also want to get acquainted with the boat I was going to be owning gradually in an area where I had some fall-back options. Every boat is sure to have gremlins. You aren't going to find them all upon a survey or even a detailed walk through at harbor yourself. You don't want to be trying to sail hundreds of miles and be a day out of port when the gremlins start rearing their ugly heads and you can't get out of the situation. That is absolutely no where for a beginner sailor to find themselves. The saying "sink or swim" comes to mind, and that could end up a more literal phrase in such a situation.

So I say gain some good experience before diving deeper in to your Caribbean ideas.
GreatLakeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:09   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How much could be the fair price of this Albin Vega?

There's a Nicholson 32 going for not a lot more than that in Grenada with working inboard, sails, wind steering gear and reasonably tidy. Would be a better buy for many reasons.
https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...2-mkvii/346581

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's a Nicholson 32 going for not a lot more than that in Grenada with working inboard, sails, wind steering gear and reasonably tidy. Would be a better buy for many reasons.
https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...2-mkvii/346581
Poor boat!

What d'ya think her story is, Boatie?

Look at that shredded UK flag! So I guess a transatlantic and then the Owner packed it in and put her up for sale...? She looks as if she's been sitting there a while, however.

LittleWing77

Tags
Albin Vega, price