Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2019, 18:46   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltonboyce View Post
Looking to live on it for the next few years; only me at the moment but it would be nice to have space for someone else because who knows what the future might bring?
Welcome, Carlton! We love em, but please, please don't feed our trolls I bought my boat with both a realistic present and a potential future in mind. It's not easy because there are compromises in all things, but if you buy a boat you love to sail, then everything else just seems to fall into place. That's all the philosophy I got for ya because I actually don't know a thing about your boat choices, although it seems you're getting good input anyway.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 19:29   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Better you should buy what you can find now, and start using it. It's really a more discreet way to go about what you want to do. If you find out by doing that cruising isn't for you, it is far better to have learned it on a small cash output. If you learn on a small boat that you love all of *it*, then, with some sea miles under your keel, and having begun to learn seamanship, rather than just how to sail, you might want a change, anyway. Life is full of changes, but then you'd have some of your own experience to base your choices on, and then, they'd suit you better than whatever someone unknown to you from the internet suggests.

Boatman 61 and atoll are two CF members who are familiar with the boats to be found around Britain. Some of the Americans have their eyes on that market, and there are many, many boats for sale in the States.

All boats are compromises. For a first boat, choose the smallest, sturdiest one you think you'd like, and then, move up only when it becomes too small, or you want a "real cutter", or whatever your next change/choice turns out to be. The chances of choosing a "rest of your life" boat for your first boat are very slim, unless you are short lived, and we expect you to be long lived.

Ann
Old 15-12-2019, 22:12   #18

My first boat was a 27 footer and I could probably live on it if I had to (by myself, really too small for a modern couple). My current boat is 36' and can comfortably (my definition of comfort) accomodate a couple provided they are not pack rats or fashinistas with tons of clothes. For others nothing less thenn 45-50' will do.

As far as dreaming etc. - at some point you have to stop dreaming and make the plunge. Be it relocating to a sail friendly area or changing to a job which will easier accomodate your sailing goals, etc. To just dream without any meaningful follow up is not very conducive to actually sailing your own boat.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 23:44   #19

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Sorry but i feel this is just a crazy thread question

Really people don't ask about boats to do things like for a couple to live aboard, cross oceans, blue water etc etc etc with no experience etc etc etc etc. All you are going get are people to feed your book reading dreams or others that will try to help that you that wouldn't accept.
So true! And I say that as a very guilty one of having too much caffeine and banging away at them like Tommy Lee on (more) crack. It's like asking the waiter "what's good?" Everyone does it, but how the h#ll can anyone answer or take the answer seriously?

Hey guys, what's my favorite color? Anyone know the best country? I need recommendations on the most suitable size of shoe....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 03:37   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Those two boats you mentioned are indeed classics, but there are a few problems with them (as with all boats)

First they are quite expensive for what you get. I'm thinking their performance will be much like any other older full keel boat of similar size.

The Bristol Channel Cutter is a 28' boat but about 38' LOA so you will get to pay for the extra 10' at your marina not to mention possibly extra trouble docking if single handing and new to parking sailboats

The Nor' Sea 27 is a pretty neat boat also but way overpriced. There's one across from me at my marina that is in the process of being "refit" for the past 10 years or so. I've checked it out lots of times

Here's a complete list of many more classic boats including the two you already like plus some good advice for the first time buyer. And btw, the guy that assembled the list and built the website has circumnavigated twice on his 28' Pearson Triton

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

An experienced young couple near here bought a Great Dane 28 recently for next to nothing and it has some pretty good numbers as far as seaworthiness also on the list above
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 04:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Carlton,
I used the ignore button on him a long time ago. Much more relaxing. I agree with other posters about size and tankage, but i/we are not you. Some people like tiny homes. I like the idea, but know it won't work for me. Any way you could spend time on one before buying?
Good idea, thanks!

And yes, I've spend a lot of time in small wilderness cabins and caravans lately and don't mind tiny homes but appreciate that bigger might be better in the long-term!
Carltonboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 04:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
My first boat was a 27 footer and I could probably live on it if I had to (by myself, really too small for a modern couple). My current boat is 36' and can comfortably (my definition of comfort) accomodate a couple provided they are not pack rats or fashinistas with tons of clothes. For others nothing less thenn 45-50' will do.

As far as dreaming etc. - at some point you have to stop dreaming and make the plunge. Be it relocating to a sail friendly area or changing to a job which will easier accomodate your sailing goals, etc. To just dream without any meaningful follow up is not very conducive to actually sailing your own boat.
Well, I'm recently divorced (my ex-wife hated boats and sailing...) semi-retired and just sold my house, so the time for doing rather than dreaming is upon me, hence the request for help!
Old 16-12-2019, 04:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Those two boats you mentioned are indeed classics, but there are a few problems with them (as with all boats)

First they are quite expensive for what you get. I'm thinking their performance will be much like any other older full keel boat of similar size.

The Bristol Channel Cutter is a 28' boat but about 38' LOA so you will get to pay for the extra 10' at your marina not to mention possibly extra trouble docking if single handing and new to parking sailboats

The Nor' Sea 27 is a pretty neat boat also but way overpriced. There's one across from me at my marina that is in the process of being "refit" for the past 10 years or so. I've checked it out lots of times

Here's a complete list of many more classic boats including the two you already like plus some good advice for the first time buyer. And btw, the guy that assembled the list and built the website has circumnavigated twice on his 28' Pearson Triton

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

An experienced young couple near here bought a Great Dane 28 recently for next to nothing and it has some pretty good numbers as far as seaworthiness also on the list above
That's all really helpful, thank you!
Old 16-12-2019, 04:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltonboyce View Post
That's all really helpful, thank you!
And I almost forgot the Twister 28 and the Contessa 32.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/twister-28

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/contessa-32

Plus a few others.

https://www.mahina.com/cruise.html
Old 16-12-2019, 04:32   #25

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

It probably makes sense to see what's available where you are. Many websites tend to be US-centric (sorry, we can't help ourselves) and ignore most older British/European makes. Greater selection generally makes for a better purchase. On the other hand, there was a study that said after a certain point, that more choices leads to less satisfaction, so narrowing it down early can be helpful.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 05:01   #26

Boat: Pearson 367

We are all impressionable. Especially when we first start sailing. What I'm saying is get some experience and you'll eventually find your own taste in boats and not what a book tells you.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 05:42   #27

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
So true! And I say that as a very guilty one of having too much caffeine and banging away at them like Tommy Lee on (more) crack. It's like asking the waiter "what's good?" Everyone does it, but how the h#ll can anyone answer or take the answer seriously?

Hey guys, what's my favorite color? Anyone know the best country? I need recommendations on the most suitable size of shoe....
Soujourner,
À waiter probably eats at his restaurant every work day hence is the perfect person to ask what is good and what isn't. As far as you're other analogies, have some more coffee.
By quoting boy1 you bypassed my ignore button on him. If that continues I will be forced to ignore you as well.
My apologies to everyone for thread drift.
Carlton, You mentioned recently divorced. I bought my 30 loa, but 22' at the waterline with the intent of soloing and never ever getting married again. By the time I had refurbished her and splashed her again I had married a young adventurous woman. I love that boat, but it is just too small for two.
We cannot know the future, but we can plan in enough flexibility to deal with it.
Old 16-12-2019, 06:15   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

the best thing about this thread is that I learned I'm ignored by some people on my ignore list

To the OP I hope you get a boat YOU like! I know I let this place influence me on what boat to get and didn't get the one at first I wanted (and I never ask the "what boat for me" question). That was an expensive lesson.

When you are looking at old boats the name/brand etc. is of little use compared to what condition the boat is in NOW.
Old 16-12-2019, 06:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
We are all impressionable. Especially when we first start sailing. What I'm saying is get some experience and you'll eventually find your own taste in boats and not what a book tells you.
Could be that a combination of your experiences plus what you read in books and the opinions of others with experience can all contribute to a good boat choice.

There's simply so much to consider when it comes to boat selection that it's hard to gain that much experience especially for a first time buyer

Other sources of information are almost essential to making a good choice even after you decide what type sailboat you want.
Old 16-12-2019, 07:20   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Some examples.. leaves cash for upgrades like liferaft, solar/wind gen, AIS Transceiver etc..
Nicholsons are long keel encapsulated and the Rivals long fin, also encapsulated in grp.

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/nicholson-32/626065

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/nicholson-31/625811

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/rival-32/621919
I agree with Phil, some great boats about in the 30 -35 ft range for half your budget which will allow funds for some really good quality sails etc.

Dockhead on here said something interesting to me a while ago over a G&T, a decent sized shower is important if you want to live aboard. After all it is going to be your permanent home, so space and layout important.

If you look at say a Contessa 32 you will see the heads area is between the main cabin and v berths which gives lots of space. The Primose early Moody 33-36ft yachts are similar with great space for a live aboard. The Contessa is also very pretty yacht with that look back factor as you row away, just a bit small inside.

However, if you plans may include a significant other half in the future, then I would choose one of the more modern European yachts which will likely be much more attractive to the fairer sex.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Contessa 32.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	205180  
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, grass