Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2013, 14:12   #1

Boat: Working on it now
First and Maybe Last Boat for the Great Lakes

I spent my youth sailing and racing Sunfish, Lightings and FD's on the Finger Lakes with an occasional jaunt to Ontario. Raced scows in Wisconsin then married and had no time. In recent years have chartered 46'-50' cats in BVI (my wife likes a flat ride). Now as I approach 60 and think about retirement, I'd like to spend time doing a little cruising. My wife is not overly excited about sailing, but has enjoyed the charter experience and is willing to invest more time at it. We own a house on a deep water bay on the eastern side of Ontario, dockage is not a concern. I thought we might start a bit on the modest side 28'-32', but was pleasantly surprised when she commented that this seemed rather small. Since then I have been looking around at larger boats, 36'-44'. Draft is a concern. Reading through some of the posts here, I get the feeling 5' or less may be the right choice for the Great Lakes. I may get out to Blue water at sometime, but only for coastal cruising, and not often. Budget (<75K) requires that I focus on used boats, but I do not believe I want something older than the early 80's. Finally, regardless of my dreams of cruising, reality is most of the time will be spent day sailing. I have spend sometime looking at a Morgan OI Classic 41. Shallow draft, stable, lots of space - maybe too much space.

I would love to hear thoughts from anyone.
WistfulThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 14:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First and Maybe Last Boat for the Great Lakes

Women LOVE lotsa space....

Welcome to CF..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 14:31   #3

Boat: Looking...
Re: First and Maybe Last Boat for the Great Lakes

Women also love hot water and separate shower stalls - no sprayer while sitting on the loo please!

Welcome indeed!

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 14:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Welcome to the party.

Because of your chartering experience I am thinking a reasonable size multihull may work better for you than going to a larger mono. You will get the same or more space, but since it doesn't sound like your wife is up for heeling much a multi may be your best option.

Just a quick search poped up two 40' Condor Trimarans that have a pretty good reputation, and a few 30-35' catamarans in your price range.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:32   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"My wife is not overly excited about sailing"-- WistfulThinking

This really says it all. You are one of the many unfortunate souls who loves to sail with a reluctant wife. This is not the exception, but really the norm. So, the best boat for you is one that can be easily maintained by you, sailed by you and docked by you. Therefore a quality boat 30 feet or less is your best choice. I would even opt for one with an outboard vs an inboard engine since you will defintely increase your maintenance issues with the latter. If you delude yourself into believing otherwise and buy a larger boat to please your wife, you'll suffer the same fate as most of your "sailing brothers" and spend many hours sitting at the dock sipping cocktails, eating h'or d'ovres, listening to "romantic" music while everyone else is enjoying the great breeeze and sailing. Also, remember since you are a Great Lakes sailor-- the season is short and unless you are willing to sail in all conditions your outings will be limited. Go small, sail alone or with an interested friend and include your wife when she really wants to go. I'll bet that won't be much. Hope this doesn't sound too harsh but it's something you should think about. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:51   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by WistfulThinking View Post
My wife is not overly excited about sailing, but has enjoyed the charter experience and is willing to invest more time at it.

I have spend sometime looking at a Morgan OI Classic 41. Shallow draft, stable, lots of space - maybe too much space.

I would love to hear thoughts from anyone.
I think you really need to be getting a LOT more input from your wife to be sure whatever you get addresses her wants.

But other that I think the OI 41 Classic is a good boat for what you describe.