Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Full or Fin
Full 45 57.69%
Fin 33 42.31%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2021, 19:02   #166

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I too suspect that most folks here call anything with the rudder attached to the aft end of the keel a "full keel" design. And the degree of cutaway on the fore part of the hull spans the spectrum of almost none (like the Rafiki) to ones where the vestigial "full" keel looks like a fin with the rudder stuck on the back.
Agreed. One of the benefits of cruising where I do is that we get to see all the keels quite often since everyone hauls out every season. I see very few actual full-keel boats. Having one, I'm naturally drawn to any boat that hints at that design, so I'm pretty sure I see them all. I can probably count, on two hands, the number of full keel boats I've seen over nearly 20 years annual haul outs.

Quote:
As to the "why?"... I dunno, Mike, but from my experience and reading, the fetish for "full" keels doesn't exist in other countries so much, and not with all Yanks either. Perhaps it is associated with eating corn flakes for brekkie instead of Vegemite on toast... who knows?
Do you really see an affinity for old-designs in North American cruisers? Like I say, I just don't see it in the yards I've lived in. My sampling is small though. But the vast majority of boaters clearly choose some version of fin to modified-fin design.

As I've said, my personal preference is for a significant cutaway modified fin, with skeg-hung rudder. Think Valiant (or like my previous boat, a Grampian 34). I chose my current boat despite her full keel.
Old 08-05-2021, 19:17   #167

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Do you really see an affinity for old-designs in North American cruisers? Like I say, I just don't see it in the yards I've lived in. My sampling is small though. But the vast majority of boaters clearly choose some version of fin to modified-fin design.
No, I don't see such an affinity in reality, Mike. I was relating to the poll that Full has sponsored here and it's strong pro-"full" response. I believe it to be skewed from the overall reality of boat ownership.

Down here in Tasmania there is a very strong traditional wooden boat cohort with many new builds and restorations under way, b oth professional and amateur. This leads to a relatively large proportion of traditional hull shapes populating the yards and waters, but still there is a majority of newer glass fin keeled designs actually in use.

Looking at the production numbers of current designs, it is obvious that fin keels dominate the population of boats being bought and being used currently. To me, that casts terminal doubt on the poll's results reflecting reality!

Jim
Old 08-05-2021, 19:34   #168
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I sailed a few times (socially) on a 60ft racing yacht. The crew used to sail the yacht into the pen because it didn't have a motor!
Try doing that with the new owner on board in here..
Or any owner..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	237963  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 22:59   #169

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Try doing that with the new owner on board in here..
Or any owner..
Well the owner and crew of six(?) had obviously done it many times before. They were well equipped with fenders, ropes and poles. They always took into account wind direction and river current. A couple of the guys were big - built like a brick dunny.

The marina was quite congested but they would have had a more accessible pen (but not outside) being a large yacht

Royal Perth Yacht Club
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 15:55   #170
lyl

Just for fun. Most must've already seen this, but I've just seen it for the first time and remembered this poll.

I think the boat has a swing keel. What went wrong here? I'd love to hear opinions on that. What kind of other keels would've been better to have in that situation for the similar size boat? Would a Dana 24 have been more forgiving, for example?
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 16:04   #171

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Had no problems frequently entering upwind berth with a Columbia Defender/29 whether under power or sail.
Old 09-05-2021, 16:09   #172
lyl

Quote:
I too suspect that most folks here call anything with the rudder attached to the aft end of the keel a "full keel" design. And the degree of cutaway on the fore part of the hull spans the spectrum of almost none (like the Rafiki) to ones where the vestigial "full" keel looks like a fin with the rudder stuck on the back.

As to the "why?"... I dunno, Mike, but from my experience and reading, the fetish for "full" keels doesn't exist in other countries so much, and not with all Yanks either. Perhaps it is associated with eating corn flakes for brekkie instead of Vegemite on toast... who knows?

Jim
Yes, I, for example, use the word 'full' as a general term for all those 'full keels,' so when I see a modified full keel, I consider and call it 'in' full keel category. Otherwise, I would've had to make a long list in the poll options - and more than likely still would've forgotten quite a few important 'variants.'

Jim, I used to be a full keel admirer, and you were the one who changed my views and opened my mind to other kind of keels.
Old 09-05-2021, 21:54   #173

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
Just for fun. Most must've already seen this, but I've just seen it for the first time and remembered this poll.

I think the boat has a swing keel. What went wrong here? I'd love to hear opinions on that. What kind of other keels would've been better to have in that situation for the similar size boat? Would a Dana 24 have been more forgiving, for example?
No. A deeper or longer keel would not have saved a boat there. A Dana 24 would have been tossed too. Maybe not quite as far or as quickly, but tossed. The design of the boat is fine for sailing and tacking in there, better than a Dana 24 IMO. Those guys are all incredibly lucky. To be thrown while in open water is one thing, but to be thrown against a pier by a shorebreak, whole different ball game. That is King Harbor and you have to tack up into the harbor there. You can't tack with just a jib, especially one that is fouled. They didn't notice the wave sets, or missed how big the big set was, and timed it perfectly to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hindsight is 20/20 but they should have run downwind to get some speed up and then gybed out to sea and sorted the whole mess out first before entering the channel. They gambled the jib would get them in behind the breakwater, which it probably would have if it weren't fouled.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 00:13   #174

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post

i honestly don't think the type of keel had much to do with this. it was more a case of having no idea how to sail a boat...

cheers,
Old 10-05-2021, 09:44   #175
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i honestly don't think the type of keel had much to do with this. it was more a case of having no idea how to sail a boat...

cheers,
I even think a full keel would have more difficulty avoiding that situation in the first place. Well, I don't know.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:56   #176

Keel design often drives what the boat looks like from the waterline on up, and vice versa. Many like the near vertical bow that is so popular in the last 20+ years, and that just doesn’t really flow into a full keel. I’m not aware of any full keels with those lines. We all know what most full keel boats look like...long LOA, good bit shorter LWL.

Not saying it’s a bad thing, but it’s rare you find a full keel boat with modern lines above the WL. Some people have a look that speaks to them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 21:35   #177

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
Keel design often drives what the boat looks like from the waterline on up, and vice versa. Many like the near vertical bow that is so popular in the last 20+ years, and that just doesn’t really flow into a full keel. I’m not aware of any full keels with those lines. We all know what most full keel boats look like...long LOA, good bit shorter LWL.

Not saying it’s a bad thing, but it’s rare you find a full keel boat with modern lines above the WL. Some people have a look that speaks to them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Certainly most of the fullish keel designs have a salty looking above water look. Not sure about your near vertical bow comment. Look at a Bristol Channel Cutter. Full keel, vertical bow.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 18:06   #178

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Certainly most of the fullish keel designs have a salty looking above water look. Not sure about your near vertical bow comment. Look at a Bristol Channel Cutter. Full keel, vertical bow.

This boat... again!! She comes up all the time!!
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 18:59   #179

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post

cheers,
What I saw was a boat with no drive on due to a flogging jib and no mainsail.

The helmsman had no steerage due to slow speed.

But in that much breeze I think that boat (surely a fin keel boat of some sort) could have sailed much faster, under better control, and probably to windward if the jib had been trimmed in and filled.

If they had problems they should have sorted them out before the got into the surf.

Wrong priority (getting into the marina) instead of sorting out the basic sail handling issues and lack of sailing skills caused this accident.
Old 11-05-2021, 20:16   #180

Boat: Formosa 56

A fin keel is very maneuverable and stable, and in my opinion better out in the open ocean. The draft in shallow waters is the only disadvantage I see. I have a center cockpit Formosa 56 cutter ketch with fin keel (now for sale), and would take it over a full keel any day (and night).
sailingdutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel