Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Hank on or Furling
Hank on 15 31.91%
Furling 32 68.09%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 14:48   #1

Hank On vs. Furling

https://youtu.be/gBDIBmmy6DE
https://youtu.be/3-cpPF4f2KM

Hank On vs. Furling... This subject has been my new interest.

For the folks who have been helping me with their advices, I'm still in the market for my first sailboat dinghy. The 18' Lockley Newport Whitecap must've been sold; I've had no replies to my emails from the seller. Sunfish, Hobie, Day Sailer, or whatever, eventually I'll find something...
Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 14:59   #2

Boat: Bristol 27 #335
Re: Hank On vs. Furling

It doesn't usually matter with the small boats you are planning on sailing.

I had 4 Beach Cats from 16' to 20' that I raced for many years and never had roller furling.

Some of the races were distance races 30-100 miles.

This over a 15 year period.

Based on the title of this thread you may again get tons of replies that don't apply to the boats you are considering as this is mainly a cruisers forum and you will probably just be day sailing for a few years if you buy a boat.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 15:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It doesn't usually matter with the small boats you are planning on sailing.

I had 4 Beach Cats from 16' to 20' that I raced for many years and never had roller furling.

Some of the races were distance races 30-100 miles.

This over a 15 year period.

Based on the title of this thread you may again get tons of replies that don't apply to the boats you are considering as this is mainly a cruisers forum and you will probably just be day sailing for a few years if you buy a boat.
Hey thomm,

This subject is just something that I've been reading about lately. I actually would like to learn the experienced opinions that apply to cruisers, despite having no reason for me to worry about the matter at that level yet.

With the dinghy sailboats that I'm currently looking for, sails are probably going to be hank on. One of the boats I look for is Sunfish - way out of scope. But then there is this photo at the bottom.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/wp-con...PSinsetweb.jpg
Old 30-04-2021, 15:30   #4

Boat: J/36

Dinghies and smaller boats can have furlers too.The Flying Dutchman, Ideal 18, and even some 505's have them. When the boat is that small they often forego the forestay and just use a wire in the luff of the jib instead. No forestay and no hanks either.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 15:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Dinghies and smaller boats can have furlers too.The Flying Dutchman, Ideal 18, and even some 505's have them. When the boat is that small they often forego the forestay and just use a wire in the luff of the jib instead. No forestay and no hanks either.
Yeah, you're right most come as in the photo here, https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ioxm...773892.jpg?c=2

Some dingies have jib furling, but I haven't come across any with an in-mast furling. Maybe the poll should've set about the in-mast ones only.

Anyhow, I just wondered the opinions about it here. The Catalina 22 offers the jib furling as an option, while even in-mast furling comes as standard in 315...
Old 30-04-2021, 16:34   #6

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

My personal cutoff for acceptable in mast main furling is around 45 feet loa.

Headsail furling on the other hand Iíve had my share of mood changes regarding.

Our boat is 32í on deck, and had a furler when we bought it, but in bad shape. I pulled it and had three hanked on sails built.

Great sail shape tailored to a specific range of wind speeds.

Hereís the problem. Whenever I wanted to go for a short sail, either a day sail or just to change anchorages, never was the correct sail on deck in the deck bag.

I found myself motoring to change anchorage rather than pull the wrong sail out of the deck bag, flake it and bag it, then bend on the correct sail.

I rebuilt the furler and have never looked back.
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 16:46   #7

Boat: Bristol 27 #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Sure they can.

Many beach cat racers had them, but they usually aren't needed whereas with a heavy cruising boat even a small one like I have if you are single handing a roller furler and autopilot make things much better.

On a small boat, you usually have the sails up etc before you leave the beach.
On a larger boat most times, you raise sail after leaving the dock and you bring them down after getting "inside" out of the big winds which if single handing makes furling indispensable as well as an autopilot.

Without roller furling on this day, I would have been in a bit of trouble.

I furled the jib after several waves broke over the side and then headed DDW when about half way across the lower bay.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 17:10   #8

Ah, I forgot about the Hobie Bravo. That discontinued dinghy catamaran had a mast furling.
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-scyv...-gallery-1.jpg

Well, I guess there is all kinds of options out there. Although, I still think that I should've made the poll about the in-mast furlings only.
Old 30-04-2021, 17:21   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We used to have a sail change system --the KayZee head foil-- where the sails were stowed on magazines on alternating left and right tracks, like the foil. You could do inside/outside sets with it, and dropping the sails was as instantaneous as hank on. However, one crossing of the Tasman after having been across the Pacific, Jim started counting times he should have, but didn't make sail changes. Soon thereafter we got our first furler. This would have been around 1992 or so. We have a different boat now: the one in my avatar; and both the genoa and staysail are on furlers on our Solent rig.

Ann
Old 30-04-2021, 19:22   #10

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sailed most of my life with hank on sails largely because that's the only RELIABLE system there was. Always a pain to get the right size headsaill and a place to store the different sails. Rounding point Conception many years ago running nicely on a broad reach with the reacher up wind went from 15-20mph to 30-40mph almost instantly. Had to haul the reacher down but it wouldn't cooperate. I'd pull down a couple feet of sail and go to grab more and sail would kite back up the stay. Meanwhile the bulk of the loose portion of the sail wildly flapping in the wind and trying to beat me to death. Took a long long long time to get the sail doused and the foot lashed to the rail. Then had to get the bagged Yankee Jib and haul it forward on a wildly pitching deck. Was finally able to get it hanked on, hoisted, and trimmed only to have the wind die never to return so we motored the rest of the way to Newport Beach.

Contrast that with what happened many years later on a solo sail to Hawaii on a boat with roller furling. Was running DDW with the genoa polled out. At 0 dark thirty the whisker pole decides to pretzel and ends with a wildly flapping sail and the pole banging against the top sides. Tried to pull the pole on board but it wouldn't cooperate and nearly pulled me overboard. I decided i needed to leave the pole in the water, get back to the cockpit, change my drawers after the near MOB, and rethink how to correct the problem. Out of the blue it came to me that the boat had roller furling, why not use it. Furled the sail, the pole came back aboard without me going overboard and rested quietly on the foredeck. After that it was no problem to release the whisker pole, replace it with the Spinnaker Pole, unfurl the sail and leave it for the next 11 day DDW run to Hilo.

So I guess you could say I'm a fan of furling headsails and I didn't mention the benefits of having one sail that you can use from light wind to blowing like stink without ever leaving the cockpit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:02   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
https://youtu.be/gBDIBmmy6DE
https://youtu.be/3-cpPF4f2KM

Hank On vs. Furling... This subject has been my new interest.

For the folks who have been helping me with their advices, I'm still in the market for my first sailboat dinghy. The 18' Lockley Newport Whitecap must've been sold; I've had no replies to my emails from the seller. Sunfish, Hobie, Day Sailer, or whatever, eventually I'll find something...
So much of jib furling has to do with boat (sail) size. Small boats don't really need it but it certainly helps on larger boats both for sail storage and when it is safer to remain in the cockpit than be on the foredeck. Main furling is a problem waiting to happen.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:21   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I still have hank-ons for their shape and ease and reliability of dousing (and because I can't afford a furler and new sail) BUT I will freely concede that the advantages of a good furling system are not just related to convenience, but safety as others have shown. And there are fewer sailbags to stow. My boat is small enough, and my conditions predictable enough, that the hassle of hank-ons is still not a problem. In the old days the furlers were not so reliable, now they are much better, but even these days I have seen folks, with in-mast furlers anyway, have some problems.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:27   #13

Pretty simple really, if you have a jib furling.................... why go up and deck when you do not have to, why not have multiple sail plans jib....genoa etc at the tip of sheet????

if small boat main sail just go with a lazy jack ................ between lazy jack main and fuller jib you are sailing all day with smile on your face and happy guests

I've sailed Cat boat 16 foot best was lazy jack, then catalina 30 best with fuller jib and lazy jack main
Cleavespoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:28   #14
Deep Water Deliveries

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hank On vs. Furling

It's easy enough to set up with a single line furling system..
Just need the bottom drum and the top swivel and your good to go..
I did this with my Corribee 21.. worked a treat and tons cheaper than the alloy sleeve systems at only £59.00.

Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:42   #15

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I think Colligo offers a hank on furling System.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling