Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Full or Fin
Full 45 57.69%
Fin 33 42.31%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 07:59   #106

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yep, one out of probably 300 boats in that year.
But it just goes to show how well built some of the old full keel boats are, and if you look at his closely it's loaded with electronics, solar (600 watts) , autopilot, SSB Receiver, Computer, and he also had a life raft on board.

Dyneema Shrouds/stays.

So when someone asked how much it cost to cruise, the answer should be in depends on you

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:09   #107

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
But it just goes to show how well built some of the old full keel boats are, and if you look at his closely it's loaded with electronics, solar (600 watts) , autopilot, SSB Receiver, Computer, and he also had a life raft on board.

Dyneema Shrouds.

So when someone asked how much it cost to cruise, the answer should be in depends
Well, that wasn't the questioned asked here. No one says that plastic classics can't cruise worldwide. They can and do. It is when the statement is couched in some cliche about how seaworthy they are compared to anything built in the last 25 years, that the responses start flying. They are the minority of boats actually crossing oceans.

As far as your proposed question, I don't see it as any more meaningfull than asking how much costs to visit Hawaii. A thousand a night for a highend resort or five dollars a day living in your sleeping bag and dumpster diving. It's just an individuals choice.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:25   #108

Quote:
Well, that wasn't the questioned asked here. No one says that plastic classics can't cruise worldwide. They can and do. It is when the statement is couched in some cliche about how seaworthy they are compared to anything built in the last 25 years, that the responses start flying. They are the minority of boats actually crossing oceans.

As far as your proposed question, I don't see it as any more meaningfull than asking how much costs to visit Hawaii. A thousand a night for a highend resort or five dollars a day living in your sleeping bag and dumpster diving. It's just an individuals choice.
I think the adventure though is to sail an old (full keel) boat.

They sometimes make it harder to get upwind for example so you have to plan ahead.

It also can be enjoyable bringing one back to life.

As far as how you travel and just because you are sailing a boat that cost less than what many spend on electronics alone, doesn't mean that when you do arrive at your various destinations you can't put your Good Old Boat in a slip at a marina and get a really nice room at a hotel or motel for a change of scenery
Old 17-04-2021, 08:28   #109

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I think the adventure though is to sail an old (full keel) boat.

They sometimes make it harder to get upwind for example so you have to plan ahead.

It also can be enjoyable bringing one back to life.

As far as how you travel and just because you are sailing a boat that cost less than what many spend on electronics alone, doesn't mean that when you do arrive at your various destinations you can't put your Good Old Boat in a slip at a marina and get a really nice room at a hotel or motel for a change of scenery
That might be common in your world, I've never seen it in my world.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:49   #110

Quote:
That might be common in your world, I've never seen it in my world.
No one said it was common, it's just another way to cruise is what I'm thinking.

Some boats aren't much different than living in a home they are so large with all the modern conveniences but some of us like the change being on the boat gives you from a home or apartment on land.

Speaking of modern conveniences, I'm about to put my computers back on the boat as we are getting into the best seasons for sailing.
Old 17-04-2021, 11:58   #111

Looks like my RPi 4 is working, but it took a while to get the AIS Display back.

Tomorrow I'll test out the Laptop with Windows 10 hooked to the same GPS and VHF/AIS.

Lots of folks on the dock today .........
Old 17-04-2021, 12:43   #112

Boat: Moody 45DS & Catalina 270

I think the poll is rigged by them dastardly old school Full Keelers.

Does CF use Dominion Vote Counters??
Vingt-Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:42   #113
lyl

I believe the fin keel will be the winner of the poll in the end. I suspect that full keelers are attracted to these sorts of discussions / polls more than fin keel folks, so the poll results are currently being under that influence. I think the fin keel will catch up before the poll closes.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 15:22   #114

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Maybe 'cause us full(ish) keelers have their (older) boats in pieces racing to get 'em put back together before summer while the fin keelers with their (newer) boats are already out there sailing and out of internet range...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 15:43   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What?!? Are you suggesting CF polls aren't 100% accurate ?
No, I think the poll is very accurate in revealing the way people voted.

Does it represent the fact that the majority of members on CF come from North America were folk tend to like long keeled yachts? If the same poll was conducted on a French sailing forum then the outcome might be slightly different. In fact I would be shocked if anyone voted for a long keel on a French forum.

You can still buy old long keeled yachts in the UK, there is even a rather smart Westsail 32 locally to me. Never seems to move, but it is looked after. Then there is this with a rather sad problem:

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

Thanks, but I will keep my twin fin keeled yacht. A quick touch up each year and some paint then off we go again.
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 15:52   #116

Boat: Moody 45DS & Catalina 270

I got a great picture that I will try and post tomorrow. It is a very pretty full keel boat in the yard on Bonaire, undergoing some 'refreshing'. Seriously, I love just about anything that sails.
Vingt-Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 16:17   #117
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Full, unless the athleticism of Sunfish type sailing is a plus for you, do have a look at things like O'day daysailors or Ospreys and others of that ilk. More kindly to aging bodies (don't know where you are in that spectrum), can sail comfortably in cold wx and water, can carry a cooler and camping gear if that is attractive, and sloop rigged which gives experience in a rig more like what later boats will have.
Jim,

A funny confession... Until you brought the O'Day Day Sailer suggestion, I had thought that O'Day Day Sailers had ballast. I've very recently realized that they are centerboard dingies; their ballast has to be the crew. I hope I am still not confused on that. They must still capsize and everything, but not as bad as a Sunfish or a Laser. O'Day Day Sailer must provide a much more 'drier' experience.

You're right; they would make the best trainer for me on the lakes around. If I can start with an O'Day Day Sailer or a similar design, then I can even skip the 'Catalina 22 phase' when I move by the ocean; after a couple of classes, I can start shopping for a 27 - 32 ft sailboat.
Old 17-04-2021, 18:18   #118

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
Jim,

A funny confession... Until you brought the O'Day Day Sailer suggestion, I had thought that O'Day Day Sailers had ballast. I've very recently realized that they are centerboard dingies; their ballast has to be the crew. I hope I am still not confused on that. They must still capsize and everything, but not as bad as a Sunfish or a Laser. O'Day Day Sailer must provide a much more 'drier' experience.

You're right; they would make the best trainer for me on the lakes around. If I can start with an O'Day Day Sailer or a similar design, then I can even skip the 'Catalina 22 phase' when I move by the ocean; after a couple of classes, I can start shopping for a 27 - 32 ft sailboat.
FWIW, Full, I myself had an O'day Osprey, a slightly smaller version of their very popular Day Sailor, as my first boat. And yes, they are unballasted, and yes, it is possible to capsize them. BUT, it is damn hard to do so! My ex-wife and I plus two small kids rapidly went from lake sailing in her to going out on SF Bay, a move that I now view as risky considering our woeful lack of experience or skills. However, the very conservative design of the boat, one aimed at beginner sailors, meant that we never capsized her or even came near to doing so. I believe such characteristics make for a great learning experience.

We sailed her for about 18 months and then moved up to a Cat-22, a very new product at t he time. OUrs was hull # 61, out of the >10,000 eventually built. IMO it was a good stepping stone in my evolution into a competent skipper, one which got us into proper cruising (and racing too, for that matter), including trips in the ocean (Santa Barbara to the channel islands and Monterrey Bay) and month-long cruises in the Canadian Gulf islands.

I kept that boat for seven years, and when I then bought a Yankee 30 I had already made most of the low experience mistakes on a much less expensive boat. At that time I was ready for some serious sailing in my "big boat".

Anyhow, that was what worked for me. None of us really know what will work for you.

Jim
Old 17-04-2021, 20:15   #119
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW, Full, I myself had an O'day Osprey, a slightly smaller version of their very popular Day Sailor, as my first boat. And yes, they are unballasted, and yes, it is possible to capsize them. BUT, it is damn hard to do so! My ex-wife and I plus two small kids rapidly went from lake sailing in her to going out on SF Bay, a move that I now view as risky considering our woeful lack of experience or skills. However, the very conservative design of the boat, one aimed at beginner sailors, meant that we never capsized her or even came near to doing so. I believe such characteristics make for a great learning experience.

We sailed her for about 18 months and then moved up to a Cat-22, a very new product at t he time. OUrs was hull # 61, out of the >10,000 eventually built. IMO it was a good stepping stone in my evolution into a competent skipper, one which got us into proper cruising (and racing too, for that matter), including trips in the ocean (Santa Barbara to the channel islands and Monterrey Bay) and month-long cruises in the Canadian Gulf islands.

I kept that boat for seven years, and when I then bought a Yankee 30 I had already made most of the low experience mistakes on a much less expensive boat. At that time I was ready for some serious sailing in my "big boat".

Anyhow, that was what worked for me. None of us really know what will work for you.

Jim
I think who knows what will work for me is the used sailboat market around here!? I will start with what I will be able to find. Tomorrow I'll see another Sunfish. If it's in good condition, I'll buy it. If I am not back, it means I bought it. Even I if buy a Sunfish or a Laser, I'll still keep an eye for a Day Sailer or an Osprey while I'm sailing on the lake.

Jim, you've been the most helpful. Thank you again.
Old 17-04-2021, 23:30   #120

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

My first boat was a Prindle 16. Awesome boat! My 2nd boat is a Beneteau 423. Awesome boat!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel