Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Full or Fin
Full 45 57.69%
Fin 33 42.31%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 01:14   #76

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
I think I missed the point here. You mean the sail / rig on the Wave won't allow downwind sailing, and therefore it would be an inadequate trainer?

This is not what I intend to do; I'm just asking to understand what to look for in a sailing dinghy, merely a generic query... Let's say, if I were to try to gain muscle memory just good enough to sail a Gemini 35 in the future - no racing or performance cat sailing, just cruising purposes -, for that goal, what is there that Wave cannot offer compared to 16?

Please bare with the terribly worded question; I'm very interested in your opinion.
High performance boats get to a downwind destination faster by sailing on reaches rather than pointing directly downwind. Airflow attached to sails, make apparent wind, and more boat speed. Hobie Waves are slow enough that they wouldn't get to a downwind destination faster by reaching.

I wasn't thinking about your ultimate reason before. I would say that my keelboat experience was more directly relatable to sailing cruising cats than anything else. My only experience on cruising cats were charters I've done in the Caribbean on a Privilege 39 and a Kennex 445.

I am in the camp of having learned on dinghies that you are more likely to get a much better understanding of how to sail well that does transfer to most any other boat. So I think you starting with a dinghy is a good way to start.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 03:57   #77
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Full, unless the athleticism of Sunfish type sailing is a plus for you, do have a look at things like O'day daysailors or Ospreys and others of that ilk. More kindly to aging bodies (don't know where you are in that spectrum), can sail comfortably in cold wx and water, can carry a cooler and camping gear if that is attractive, and sloop rigged which gives experience in a rig more like what later boats will have.

Jim
Jim,

The more I read about Day Sailor, the more I'm convinced. DMF and you officially have changed my plans.

Thank you.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 03:58   #78
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Not to pile on, but a vote in favor of the O'Day: The principles in play sailing one of those are the same principles in play on your Island Packet full foil or your Beneteau Oceanis fin or your Pacific Seacraft long fin...

Whereas on a sunfish, while you do learn how to sail, you don't learn about the interplay between the main and head sail(s). And, ultimately, if you want to get anywhere on most monohulls, you need to learn that.
Agreed! Thank you. O'Day, here I come.
Old 16-04-2021, 04:07   #79
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
High performance boats get to a downwind destination faster by sailing on reaches rather than pointing directly downwind. Airflow attached to sails, make apparent wind, and more boat speed. Hobie Waves are slow enough that they wouldn't get to a downwind destination faster by reaching.

I wasn't thinking about your ultimate reason before. I would say that my keelboat experience was more directly relatable to sailing cruising cats than anything else. My only experience on cruising cats were charters I've done in the Caribbean on a Privilege 39 and a Kennex 445.

I am in the camp of having learned on dinghies that you are more likely to get a much better understanding of how to sail well that does transfer to most any other boat. So I think you starting with a dinghy is a good way to start.
I got it now. I had read about reaching a little to understand. Thank you.
Old 16-04-2021, 04:14   #80

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Wow! At the moment, more people have voted for full keel. Perhaps, sailboat manufacturers would like to take that into consideration. This post seems like turning into a sort of marketing research!?
Most/many full keel boats are old and easy to purchase.

Plus lots of cruisers like the way they sail offshore.

For beginning monohull sailors they are not only less expensive usually but also can take the beating most newbies will put them through such as groundings, banging into pilings and the dock as you enter and exit your slip then another reason is if the boat is say 28' or less you can repower it with a new 5-6 hp 4 stroke outboard with 25" shaft for about $1700 to be placed on the stern on an adjustable bracket or in the well.

More on low priced full keel boats here.

https://atomvoyages.com/atom-html/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 04:34   #81

Boat: a sailing boat

In pure cruising terms (Antarctica, coral country, etc.). Fewer things to go wrong, fewer will.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 04:38   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I never had more speed and quick maneuverability than with my fin keel boat, but I only kept it for a couple of years. As an "up the lazy river" cruiser spending more than four decades gunkholing about shoals, strong currents and risking groundings; I needed my long keel contiguous with a protected and shoed rudder. If you want a forward profile that will ease to a soft grounding and allow careening for "do it yourself" bottom work a fin keel with a vulnerable rudder is not suitable.

Best boat choices depend upon how you plan to use the boat.
Old 16-04-2021, 05:41   #83

Boat: X442

OMG, the full keelers are winning the poll! Never will we hear the end of this... Hopefully it won't become like the brexity "You lost now get over it!" mantra!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 05:43   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would keel for a rhum.. I'm fin ished.
Didn't I hear this at the M&M's bar in Oriental?
Old 16-04-2021, 06:46   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Didn't I hear this at the M&M's bar in Oriental?

You could well have..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 07:59   #86

Boat: 2004 Lien Waa 46' custom motorsailer

I grew up sailing Sunfish then moved to 505s ...trapeze spinaker planing dinghys..then raced Hobie 18s and Prindle 18s. Now to teach our kids we have these Hobie Tandem Island trimarans in front of the house. They can't flip, fill with water, have no boom to hit you in the head, the sail rolls up around the mast with one line, they have two sets of pedals and two paddles to get back home if necessary. 6 years now and they don't break.

Oh and we now sail a 46' motorsailer with a full keel because we are too old and smart to sail to weather lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1821.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	236629  
Motorsailer4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 09:29   #87
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Most/many full keel boats are old and easy to purchase.

Plus lots of cruisers like the way they sail offshore.

For beginning monohull sailors they are not only less expensive usually but also can take the beating most newbies will put them through such as groundings, banging into pilings and the dock as you enter and exit your slip then another reason is if the boat is say 28' or less you can repower it with a new 5-6 hp 4 stroke outboard with 25" shaft for about $1700 to be placed on the stern on an adjustable bracket or in the well.

More on low priced full keel boats here.
Sir, I envy you; your Bristol is a beauty!
Old 16-04-2021, 10:03   #88

Boat: a sailing boat

I will disagree.

Think of it most offshore sailing is done off the wind. And most long keelers sail like **** downwind and on broad reach.

I think it is about simplicity, reliability and repairability. NOT about sailin-ability.

If we were choosing for typical offshore use, we would all have Bavarias, or better yet, cats.

If oceans had no shores, and repair facilities were evenly distributed, light and flat boats with very fine and narrow keels (and rudders) would be preferred.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 10:34   #89

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Long straight line sailing is for a full keel. Want to turn on a dime? Then it's a deep narrow fin keel and spade rudder. That's the scale.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 12:23   #90

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Quote:
I'd like to hear a few thoughts based on experience...
The older you are the longer the keel ....
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel