Cruisers Forum
 


View Poll Results: Full or Fin
Full 45 57.69%
Fin 33 42.31%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 23:35   #61
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,578
Images: 66
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

So..... you post a poll, full or fin, and then you are actually buying a catamaran... The multihull guys and gals are loving this thread It's probably a drinking game by now.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 04:52   #62
Registered User
 
SV Siren's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Allegan, Mi
Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Posts: 615
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Odd thread "drift"...anywhoo

Modified full with a spade rudder here...or so I call it. How about that? Just to throw a wrench in the comments!
__________________
Fair winds from the crew of the S/V Siren.
SV Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:28   #63
lyl
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,428
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So..... you post a poll, full or fin, and then you are actually buying a catamaran... The multihull guys and gals are loving this thread It's probably a drinking game by now.
Good point. These days, I'm trying to get rid of all the assumptions in my head. I've had a newbie syndrome; having strong opinions about sailboat designs that I've had no experience with!? How could I even have an idea about something I have not put my hands on? I'm just learning here and there, and also it's just so much fun to talk about these things. I hope everyone esle here has the same opinion.

Despite what I want, I think I'll end up with a Sunfish to sail around the lakes here for the next couple of years. I'm almost certain about my next boat when I'm by the ocean, a Catalina 22 / swing keel. About a decade later, up to how much I can afford, where I'll end up living, where I'll cruise, what I'll do with the boat and such details will decide what sailboat I shall buy; pretty much, the sailboat will present itself when I have the certain answers to those queries.

In the meantime, another Sunfish showed up, and I'll see that this weekend. Wish me luck.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 12:34   #64
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lower Chesapeake Bay Area
Boat: Bristol 27
Posts: 10,670
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
Good point. These days, I'm trying to get rid of all the assumptions in my head. I've had a newbie syndrome; having strong opinions about sailboat designs that I've had no experience with!? How could I even have an idea about something I have not put my hands on? I'm just learning here and there, and also it's just so much fun to talk about these things. I hope everyone esle here has the same opinion.

Despite what I want, I think I'll end up with a Sunfish to sail around the lakes here for the next couple of years. I'm almost certain about my next boat when I'm by the ocean, a Catalina 22 / swing keel. About a decade later, up to how much I can afford, where I'll end up living, where I'll cruise, what I'll do with the boat and such details will decide what sailboat I shall buy; pretty much, the sailboat will present itself when I have the certain answers to those queries.

In the meantime, another Sunfish showed up, and I'll see that this weekend. Wish me luck.
Well all you did was say you wanted a full keel boat and had already decided which is lots better than the other type guy we usually get on here.

He is the guy with no sailing experience but wants to know which boat to buy so he can circumnavigate the globe.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 13:07   #65
lyl
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,428
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well all you did was say you wanted a full keel boat and had already decided which is lots better than the other type guy we usually get on here.

He is the guy with no sailing experience but wants to know which boat to buy so he can circumnavigate the globe.
It sure was a long winter...
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 13:36   #66
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bonaire & Calgary & B.C.
Boat: Moody 45DS & Catalina 270
Posts: 49
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

You will have great fun on a Sunfish. It will teach you to be a sailor with regards to sail trim, keeping an eye out for the gusts, and keeping the main sheet in hand (or at least very close at hand). Also keeping an eye out for all the crazy boater who are trying to run you over. Plus there is the fitness side, you will find out how well your core muscles are doing. On a windy day, it can be like a never ending series of sit ups. Plus there is swimming involved.

All the best!
Vingt-Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 14:04   #67
lyl
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,428
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Odd thread "drift"...anywhoo

Modified full with a spade rudder here...or so I call it. How about that? Just to throw a wrench in the comments!
50′ COLUMBIA 50′ SLOOP 1968, right...? The bottom of her spade rudder is located quite higher than the bottom of the keel, so the rudder must be providing good maneuverability while still staying protected - just guessing. You should be proud of her. Brilliant!

http://photos.mostsailboats.org/1968...50_22657_1.jpg
https://www.seacoastyachts.com/wp-co..._2-599x449.jpg
https://columbia50.weebly.com/upload...1378952841.jpg
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 15:38   #68
lyl
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,428
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
A Hobie Wave ..... you sail it dead downwind as opposed to sailing reaches downwind.....
I think I missed the point here. You mean the sail / rig on the Wave won't allow downwind sailing, and therefore it would be an inadequate trainer?

This is not what I intend to do; I'm just asking to understand what to look for in a sailing dinghy, merely a generic query... Let's say, if I were to try to gain muscle memory just good enough to sail a Gemini 35 in the future - no racing or performance cat sailing, just cruising purposes -, for that goal, what is there that Wave cannot offer compared to 16?

Please bare with the terribly worded question; I'm very interested in your opinion.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:03   #69
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 21,295
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Full, unless the athleticism of Sunfish type sailing is a plus for you, do have a look at things like O'day daysailors or Ospreys and others of that ilk. More kindly to aging bodies (don't know where you are in that spectrum), can sail comfortably in cold wx and water, can carry a cooler and camping gear if that is attractive, and sloop rigged which gives experience in a rig more like what later boats will have.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, lying Port Cygnet Tasmania once again.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 17:30   #70
lyl
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,428
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Full, unless the athleticism of Sunfish type sailing is a plus for you, do have a look at things like O'day daysailors or Ospreys and others of that ilk. More kindly to aging bodies (don't know where you are in that spectrum), can sail comfortably in cold wx and water, can carry a cooler and camping gear if that is attractive, and sloop rigged which gives experience in a rig more like what later boats will have.
I think I'll still be able to handle the Sunfish fun; at least, for the next couple of years, I believe I'm gonna survive. A little work out will be good for me anyhow.

Actually, I considered the sailboats you recommended and have been keeping my radars open for them and similar boats as well. I, even, thought of a tiny cabin area for a porta-potty. If one claims to be able to handle a Sunfish, he shall be just fine with taking care of the no. 1 business in weird standing positions in a minimalistic area!? That would extend the time spent on water dramatically.

They have a few pluses over dinghies. They might be as cheap as a dinghy at rare occasions, they provide a dry sailing experience, I can take my wife and a couple of guests for joyrides, they are more than just a training platform and perfect for lake sailing, and etc... Fractional sloop will be valuable in training, a big plus. With a responsive rudder and such, they might even do a better job teaching me the ropes for a future keel boat.

If I wanna take that path, I'll have to figure out a few things though. A cheap dock or a stronger commute if I'll have to trailer the boat every single time I sail - and some other expenses over a dinghy. Also, possibly, I'm a little late if I pick something other than a dinghy - the possible repairs might cause more delays.

So I like the Sunfish idea better, as I've decided to minimize the costs around the lakes here and leave the funds for the real fun by the ocean in the future. Still, I haven't ruled out the option you've recommended. Upto what I can find.

Thank you.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 17:49   #71
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Montreal
Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Posts: 172
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So..... you post a poll, full or fin, and then you are actually buying a catamaran... The multihull guys and gals are loving this thread It's probably a drinking game by now.
Some of us like both

If I want exciting sailing, I can take out my 17' Mystere catamaran.

If I want relaxing cruising, I'll be on my Bristol 27.
__________________
Montreal, QC
Looking forward to sailing on Lake Ontario this summer...
EarlWer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 21:03   #72
Registered User
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Somewhere in the Gulf of Maine
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Posts: 875
Images: 6
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
I think I'll still be able to handle the Sunfish fun; at least, for the next couple of years, I believe I'm gonna survive. A little work out will be good for me anyhow.

Actually, I considered the sailboats you recommended and have been keeping my radars open for them and similar boats as well. I, even, thought of a tiny cabin area for a porta-potty. If one claims to be able to handle a Sunfish, he shall be just fine with taking care of the no. 1 business in weird standing positions in a minimalistic area!? That would extend the time spent on water dramatically.

They have a few pluses over dinghies. They might be as cheap as a dinghy at rare occasions, they provide a dry sailing experience, I can take my wife and a couple of guests for joyrides, they are more than just a training platform and perfect for lake sailing, and etc... Fractional sloop will be valuable in training, a big plus. With a responsive rudder and such, they might even do a better job teaching me the ropes for a future keel boat.

If I wanna take that path, I'll have to figure out a few things though. A cheap dock or a stronger commute if I'll have to trailer the boat every single time I sail - and some other expenses over a dinghy. Also, possibly, I'm a little late if I pick something other than a dinghy - the possible repairs might cause more delays.

So I like the Sunfish idea better, as I've decided to minimize the costs around the lakes here and leave the funds for the real fun by the ocean in the future. Still, I haven't ruled out the option you've recommended. Upto what I can find.

Thank you.
Not to pile on, but a vote in favor of the O'Day: The principles in play sailing one of those are the same principles in play on your Island Packet full foil or your Beneteau Oceanis fin or your Pacific Seacraft long fin...

Whereas on a sunfish, while you do learn how to sail, you don't learn about the interplay between the main and head sail(s). And, ultimately, if you want to get anywhere on most monohulls, you need to learn that.
__________________
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 21:54   #73
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,578
Images: 66
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
Some of us like both

If I want exciting sailing, I can take out my 17' Mystere catamaran.

If I want relaxing cruising, I'll be on my Bristol 27.
I get both on my boat
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 22:57   #74
lyl
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,428
Smile Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Not to pile on, but a vote in favor of the O'Day: The principles in play sailing one of those are the same principles in play on your Island Packet full foil or your Beneteau Oceanis fin or your Pacific Seacraft long fin...

Whereas on a sunfish, while you do learn how to sail, you don't learn about the interplay between the main and head sail(s). And, ultimately, if you want to get anywhere on most monohulls, you need to learn that.
If I can find one for a reasonable price, why not? There has to be a cheap one close by though. I'll need luck on that.

On the other hand, even https://www.com-pacyachts.com/traile...ac-legacy.html is cheaper than https://capecodshipbuilding.com/flee...boat=daysailer and could be fitted with a https://www.thetford.com/products/toilets/portable/...

Anyhow, if possible, I'll gladly pick an O'day over a Sunfish any day. I'll keep my options open and my radars searching for an O'day; let's leave it there. Still, practicality in mind, it's very hard to beat a Sunfish for my current situation. Maybe, an O'Day Day Sailer could be my second boat when I'm by the ocean, before getting into a Catalina 22... https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/oday-day-sailer/
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 23:03   #75
lyl
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,428
Re: Fin keel or Full keel...

Wow! At the moment, more people have voted for full keel. Perhaps, sailboat manufacturers would like to take that into consideration. This post seems like turning into a sort of marketing research!?
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
keel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full keel vs fin keel for offshore? Tidjian Monohull Sailboats 488 08-06-2021 17:04
Fin Keel vs. Full Keel Rayallyn Monohull Sailboats 201 04-09-2011 04:14
Full Keel or Fin Keel? RedDragonSails Monohull Sailboats 23 06-10-2008 12:09

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.