Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2018, 13:38   #1

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Cruising in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Ok, so I just wanted to get some input from some folks here. No real solid plan but just considering some options and appreciate the advise and input here.

I am 33 and in good shape, my wife is about the same age and we have a 5 year old son and six month old daughter. I only work about six months a year (a couple months at work and a coupe off) and make more than enough to survive on. Not extravagant mind you but under 95k usually.

We have recently acquired a Columbia 29 sailboat. Details of which can be seen here The Columbia 29 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

We will be putting her on a trailer next month and then the refitting process begins. We will be done this summer hopefully and then the fun begins.

So this is where I am asking for your input gang. If you were in my shoes (sandals at the moment) what would you do? Sure I could stay at my house in the mountains and just sail it a few months a year for fun, but we could also go on some trips in the boat. We will surely be limited by the space to provision and live aboard but we are adventurous, am I crazy to think we could do some modest voyaging? Maybe a week at a time, maybe more?

We could step up boat size but were not going to do that, we want to sail the boat we found through fortunate happenstance. Maybe we should call her serendipity? Anyway, traveling modestly with half the belongings we think we need and twice the money where do you all think we could get to?

Let me also add, were going to learn the boat first under the watchful eye of some instructors and lots of days out on the water to learn heavy weather sailing, navigation, etc.. But assuming were capable and fit, intelligent and able-bodied what do you all think?

Were not going to set out next week after taking only a few more boating courses like an unnamed couple in the news lately, just curious about what "might" come should we want to down the road.

I am sure there will be many questions and I look forward to them.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat