Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 12:39   #1
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Trailerable blue-ocean: exists?

Is there a relatively common boat designed for passage making, say even to Hawaii

that can also be trailered in the U.S. without having to get permits?

Ideally can be single-handed.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:45   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Trailerable blue-ocean: exists?

Pacific seacraft flicka 20 comes to mind, as well as the dana 24
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:52   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Here's a Contessa 26 on a trailer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cont...8u0B8ErE_zgGM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cont...9Vha7y5eku9TM:

I wouldn't think you'd need a special permit for it since it's only 8' wide. (same as a normal size beach cat)

At least two of these have circumnavigated. (single-handed)

I've also since Bristol 27's on trailers
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:58   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

The Pacific Seacraft Dana is just over 8-5 wide, so legal to tow in many states without a permit, but not all.

Many Westerly Centaurs have crossed oceans and 8 1/2 feet wide are legal to tow in all states. I used to own one and sailed it across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas may times.

Contessa/Taylor 26 is another that has been chosen by many wanting a pocket cruiser to circumnavigate.

Norsea and Cap Dory, Dawson and Balboa are a few more to consider.

My personal feeling, having owned one, is that heavy placement pocket cruisers while legal, and possible to tow are a lot of boat to tow around, and on the small side for any serious cruising, but obviously many have.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 17:13   #5

Boat: Alberg 30

I trailered an Alberg 30 across Canada this spring. Alberg 30s have made several circumnavigations, probably most notably by Yves Gelanis, who made a movie about it (and who also trailered his), and they are one of John Vigor's Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere.

They are cheap to buy, $10 to $20k, and very solid. They are also old (1960s and '70s) but they made boats very solid back then. And there are a few modifications that should be made before going offshore (huffing up the chainplates and mast step, among others), but most Albergs have had these improvements made by now.

You'll need a pretty heavy pick-up to pull it and a good credit card to pay for the gas. It weighs 9,000 lbs. and the trailer will be another 1,000. It cost me $2,000 in gas to haul from southern Ontario to the BC coast.
john-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 22:35   #6
cruiser

Thanks everyone so far, keep 'em coming if there are more.

Yes 8'6" seems to be the max for many states, and some are a real pain.

But I can see getting away with it if only a little over, just if something happened and insurance. . .
Old 06-11-2017, 23:30   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Not my cuppa tea at all, but we have encountered Nor'Sea 27s in a few offshore anchorages over the years. They are indeed trailable, and have done some offshore miles, but they don't fill me with confidence or enthusiasm. Others think they are super boats... YMMV.

Jim
Old 07-11-2017, 00:45   #8

Boat: Vancouver 27

The Vancouver 27 is another. 8'6" (maybe 8'8" depending on the source), very well mannered and capable boat. The UK builds have a lovely little tumblehome and were built to a high standard. Yes to being on the small end of what's considered cruisable long term, but I've had mine for 7 years and lived aboard full time for 6. There's nothing lacking in the boat, though it's been lovingly referred to as a dinghy in more than one anchorage.

It's got a trailer but it's not exactly portable. It makes a terrible RV. Personally, I would consider a fully trailerable boat to be towable with a 1/4ton truck and steppable with a turnbuckle mast. Maybe nothing truly bluewater really lives up to that (?), but the PSC25 comes to mind.

This year is heading down thru central america where we'll have to make the choice whether jump over to the pacific or trailer her back up north for a while to dry off. A boat that offers those kind of hard life choices is a good compromise in my book.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:56   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Seems a shame to trailer a yacht that has a large iron or lead ballast, the very thing you definitely don't want for towing.

How about a catamaran? More work to assemble so only for a twice a year launch and recover perhaps but ought to two well.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:06   #10

Boat: 44 footer

I'd also ask the budget, because you can make a cross country shipping trip or two for a 30-40 footer for the cost of a good 1 ton truck and a sailboat trailer.

The other thing to ponder is that while trailerable, you may want to add in the cost of having the mast craned up, and a travel lift to set you in the water... as a 1 ton Dually isn't exactly what anyone wants to pull a boat with off a slick ramp. A steel sailboat trailer used for launching ages in dog years compared to one only for transport and storage. Take a 6-7k purchase and turn it into a rust flake?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:21   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The Hobie 33, is not designed for offshore, but it is trailerable and they have been run in the TransPac. Vs other small more traditional boats it is WAY fast.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:23   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Seems a shame to trailer a yacht that has a large iron or lead ballast, the very thing you definitely don't want for towing.

How about a catamaran? More work to assemble so only for a twice a year launch and recover perhaps but ought to two well.

Pete
Plenty of small Wharrams out there with lots of open ocean miles under their keels. Cross members are lashed in place so could be disassembled and trailered.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:34   #13
cruiser

I would rather have to sail more slowly

if that buys a stronger safer boat, being a top priority

warm and dry living room is a less important factor, but still more important than speed, there will be no racing

Had no idea so many options!

This is a long-term work-savings project anyway, so higher price "just" means farther into the future
Old 07-11-2017, 09:10   #14

The Far Harbor 39 (Perry), the Farr 30 & the Farr 400 will all fit into a standard shipping container which, in turn, will fit on a Standard semi flatbed trailer thus requiring no permits for shipping anywhere in the US & can be shipped to overseas ports. Be sure your packers & loaders know how to load a sailboat (it’s not a common cargo) & buy the appropriate shipping insurance.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:17   #15

You can rent a rig & drive it yourself, but I don’t recommend it.

Tags
trailer