Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 08:24   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Crusing in a small boat, 2 months at a time?

Too much birthing going on there 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:36   #17

While a sturdy old design, I hope you are not underestimating the time for the "refit" you mention. You say put it on a trailer to your house and have it done by summer. My guess is you are starting a 2-3 year job and a lot of money. But you dont mention the actual boat condition.
The old 29 design is quite small really but only you know what you need. One plus is it is towable without permit, but an expensive trailer, a large pickup, probably diesel, is what you want. All that adds up too.... if you are planning on towing the boat to destinations. OTOH, as an option, you can buy a newer 28-30 ft boat that will be bigger inside, use it a few months a year and yard store it the other months.
Many many folks have been given the advice here to start with a boat that is ready to sail, it will be plenty of work even then. So consider that advice again here. There is no more expensive boat than a free boat! :>)
I dont want to discourage you, but think it through well.
Are you near the water or in Colorado? Without knowing, my input for destinations is go to the Bahamas. The kids love it there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:17   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

They already own the Columbia.

But yes, not necessarily worth fixing, why a good surveyor is worth every penny.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:18   #19

Boat: Boatless

We did the hybrid deal for a long time. 1-2 months cruising. 3-4 months working. First article on blog basically describes.

That being said we really liked the contrasts. After 4-6 weeks it started to get old and was time for a change.

Having the house, boat, RV kind of the cycle we fell into.

You’ll make a lot of great memories!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:19   #20

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

There are other areas you may wish to consider also. The Great Lakes and the East Coast offer great short cruises as you describe. These areas give you the option of hundreds of destinations that are anywhere from a half day to a week away.

A quick example is here in NYC. You could sail to the Jersey Shore or Fire Island in one day. Annapolis is four or so days if you stop every night. Along the way there are many stops with shops, restaurants, amusement parks, beaches, etc. The same is true for the other areas I mentioned. If you are not able to travel quite as far, San Francisco Bay and the PNW. The great lakes have the advantage of being fresh water. All have the advantages of both short day trips and a plethora of longer trips over the course of a week or two.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:24   #21

I didnt mention, but yes the "hybrid" cruising can be nice. Go for 6 months and take a break.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:27   #22

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Too much birthing going on there 8-)
hahahaha, perhaps!
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 09:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
While a sturdy old design, I hope you are not underestimating the time for the "refit" you mention. You say put it on a trailer to your house and have it done by summer. My guess is you are starting a 2-3 year job and a lot of money. But you dont mention the actual boat condition.
The old 29 design is quite small really but only you know what you need. One plus is it is towable without permit, but an expensive trailer, a large pickup, probably diesel, is what you want. All that adds up too.... if you are planning on towing the boat to destinations. OTOH, as an option, you can buy a newer 28-30 ft boat that will be bigger inside, use it a few months a year and yard store it the other months.
Many many folks have been given the advice here to start with a boat that is ready to sail, it will be plenty of work even then. So consider that advice again here. There is no more expensive boat than a free boat! :>)
I dont want to discourage you, but think it through well.
Are you near the water or in Colorado? Without knowing, my input for destinations is go to the Bahamas. The kids love it there.
I already own the trailer capable of hauling a 15k boat and three big diesels, I routinely pull excavators and other heavy-ish equipment. By refit- I mean deck non-slip paint, addressing wet spots inside the core, plan to use core cell. we will have a rigger assess the standing and running rigging.

I'm in Montana, and the Bahamas does sounds lovely to be honest. Were not going to upgrade much else other than what is safety stuff first. Kinda sail her and see what we need and want before we sink to much money into her. A few wood trim things need addressing too, but nothing monumental.
Old 13-02-2018, 11:47   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I took my 2 small kids on my C&C25. We sailed far and wide. It was safe, fun, and easier than you would think. I had the boat rigged well, with all the right gear. However, we only sailed in the summer months. Even on a 25 foot boat, we had plenty of space for all our junk, DVD player, avon redcrest, single burner origo stove. We sailed on Lake Ontario. We ventured as far as Toronto, but spent most of our time in west end, 1000 islands region. We mostly anchored out, but visiting port was always a big treat! What I found was that kids don't really care how far you go...they want a nice anchorage with good swimming, and places to explore.

I want to encourage you to do it. I think it was perhaps the happiest time of my life...sailing around on a little boat with my 2 kids. When they got older, they lost interest in sailing. Now I sail alone. But back then...they were like kids in a disney movie...or an adventure novel. So much fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3440.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	164075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3615.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	164076  

Name:	IMG_3616.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	164077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3846.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	164078  

Name:	IMG_3833.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	164079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3834.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	164080  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:48   #25

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

So, you asked for destinations and you are not getting too much of that. Someone did touch on the idea of the Great Lakes, The West side of Lake Michigan would be my choice for you. Nice sailing and facilities but even better the ability to then take your boat down the Illinois river to the Mississippi and on down to the Gulf via the Tenn-Tom waterway. Do a Great Loop search or Tenn-Tom search and get all the info you need for planning. You could also hook up on the upper portion of the Mississippi to shorten your towing distance. It is all good.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 17:43   #26

Boat: Scout 30

If you're in the water by the summer I'd drive up to Port Townsend & then do the Inside Passage up to Alaska.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I took my 2 small kids on my C&C25. We sailed far and wide. It was safe, fun, and easier than you would think. I had the boat rigged well, with all the right gear. However, we only sailed in the summer months. Even on a 25 foot boat, we had plenty of space for all our junk, DVD player, avon redcrest, single burner origo stove. We sailed on Lake Ontario. We ventured as far as Toronto, but spent most of our time in west end, 1000 islands region. We mostly anchored out, but visiting port was always a big treat! What I found was that kids don't really care how far you go...they want a nice anchorage with good swimming, and places to explore.

I want to encourage you to do it. I think it was perhaps the happiest time of my life...sailing around on a little boat with my 2 kids. When they got older, they lost interest in sailing. Now I sail alone. But back then...they were like kids in a disney movie...or an adventure novel. So much fun.
Thanks for sharing your adventures with us, much appreciated. Hard to put a price on such things in life and I look forward to some of this. I would imagine your kids haven't forgotten those times. I really appreciate the encouragement and advise.
Old 13-02-2018, 18:15   #28

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Check the keel bolts!
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 18:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
So, you asked for destinations and you are not getting too much of that. Someone did touch on the idea of the Great Lakes, The West side of Lake Michigan would be my choice for you. Nice sailing and facilities but even better the ability to then take your boat down the Illinois river to the Mississippi and on down to the Gulf via the Tenn-Tom waterway. Do a Great Loop search or Tenn-Tom search and get all the info you need for planning. You could also hook up on the upper portion of the Mississippi to shorten your towing distance. It is all good.
Thanks so much, very appreciated. Will look into this as well sure sounds like an adventure. Anytime with the family is good.
Old 13-02-2018, 18:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Check the keel bolts!
Sage advise for most folks, our boat doesn't have keel boats though. Its solid glass and encapsulated lead ballast.

Tags
boat