Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2024, 10:55   #61

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Classic Boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Baba 30 gone before I got to see it…

I found a Pearson Invicta 38 too. Not a teak drenched beauty, but looks like a good boat. Very 60s vibe
Definitely a classic Tripp design. A neighbor has one and he loves her, says he’ll never let go of her. I always thought they were good looking boats though they have a pretty short waterline; that’s the old CCA rule at work on the design. Yes, 60s vibe is right!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 11:44   #62

Boat: Downeaster 38

I wasn’t really turned on by it when I first ran across the ad, but it’s really growing on me.

Looks relatively easy to maintain.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 14:45   #63

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Owned another old Tripp design with the short waterline and overhangs. She sailed great in light air, heeled right over in any wind, and pitched constantly, even when on the mooring. Beware old designs that pitch a lot!
Old 29-02-2024, 16:41   #64

I’m going to see it.

It looks clean. Attractive. Lot less teak, but still enough to scratch my itch. It’s in budget. Very nicely outfitted with modern cruising amenities.

It’s a long way from home by lake(s), and it’s got the short water line thing going on.

But… it’s everything else we want. Assuming it’s accurately advertised this is probably the boat that would be best for us to own.
Old 29-02-2024, 16:52   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

My first boat had a short water line, around 27' on a 38 LOA. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once heeled over the water line grows longer.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 18:29   #66

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
My father owned a 1979 Cheoy Lee Offshore 41 for 30 years. I did a lot of sea miles on that boat, including passages to Bermuda, Maine and Nova Scotia. Be leery of the teak decks. They were screwed into the underlying deck and will leak. By the time my dad sold the boat, it needed basically the entire deck replaced (and this was 20 years ago).

They are beautiful boats. Don't point well, and are heavy and slow. Give her 20 knots on a broad reach though and she will reel off the miles. Upwind in a seaway she can pound a little. Probably nothing compared to some modern designs, but notably worse than my boat (S&S 34).
Great boat. And, what boat won’t take 20 knots on a broad reach and reel off the miles?? 🤣
Even condomarans can do that
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 22:24   #67

Those are nice boats, but that's a crazy amount to pay for a 13 year old day sailor.

I predict it will be on the market for a long, long time.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:54   #68

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Those are nice boats, but that's a crazy amount to pay for a 13 year old day sailor.

I predict it will be on the market for a long, long time.
Definitely not for your average person.

Maybe because it's up in Oxford, MD is why the price is so outrageous.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:56   #69

Quote:
I’m going to see it.

It looks clean. Attractive. Lot less teak, but still enough to scratch my itch. It’s in budget. Very nicely outfitted with modern cruising amenities.

It’s a long way from home by lake(s), and it’s got the short water line thing going on.

But… it’s everything else we want. Assuming it’s accurately advertised this is probably the boat that would be best for us to own.
That Invicta 38 is ancient. (1960-1965) Only 21 built.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/invicta-tripp/

The rudder looks tiny so docking could be a problem unless you are skilled in that area especially when single handing.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:43   #70

Boat: Riva 48

The M36 keep their prices at about that level. It is just a different product for a different market, club house show off. Most owners buy them, keep them for a few years then pass it to the next wanna be. Not really meant or useful for cruising.

My view on the older boats is that if you want to learn about boat maintenance and boat ownership, it may be a good way to go with a smaller, minimum cost sailboat. Any money you put in the boat will be lost and not recoverable, and eventually, if you are serious about cruising, you will outgrow the boat. I started on a Hunter 31 and loved it. But I would not go back to her today.

If you want to cruise in a sailboat (or powerboat), you need to get to 40-45 feet minimum, modern, bright and open design and outfit it over a period of time. Anything smaller or older usually becomes a dock queen or a day sailor as it does not have the volume to sustain extended cruising with minimum style. There are exceptions but yes, exceptions are just exceptions.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:03   #71

I think the sailboat data rendering is poorly detailing the rudder. It looks 2x that size in the pictures.

It’s old, but appears to be very well maintained and updated.

Is there really a difference between 30 and 50 year old boats? I have decided condition is much more important than year in the used market.

The only 10 year old boats I can afford belong in a junk yard.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:43   #72

Quote:
I think the sailboat data rendering is poorly detailing the rudder. It looks 2x that size in the pictures.

Is there really a difference between 30 and 50 year old boats? I have decided condition is much more important than year in the used market.

My boat will be 50 years old in July. It was an estate sale, and I got it for $2,000. It didn't have a for sale sign on it when I bought it.

I was sailing it within 2-3 weeks after purchase. It wasn't bought to be refitted for years.

After 13 years owning it, I have probably $15,000 in it with new dodger, main sail cover, new sails, new outboard after the diesel failed, autopilots, new gen anchor, VHF w/AIS, home build chart plotter w/OpenCPN, RPi computer kits were $99, replacement tiller, paint, custom settee cushion 6", new chainplates, 2 replacement outboard brackets, solar panels, and controllers, 6 Volt 220 AH golf cart batteries, replacement running rigging, etc.

In the process of replacing the rigging now with mast up. One stay/shroud at a time.

I sanded down the thruhull/seacock skin fittings a couple weeks ago and they had the same color as the ones just replaced on the boat behind me. Kind of a shiny light gold color. No red or rose color.

Ancient flat winch handle winches still work.

The boat had been on the hard for 5 years when I found it.

Lots of good advice on old boats at the Atom Voyages site.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/cla...ers-list-html/

Btw there is an Alberg 30 coming up for sale here for around $10K, and it has a Hydrovane and newish rigging.

After 13 years of owning the boat, it has one small soft spot in the cockpit sole maybe 3" x 4".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	287025   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 lift.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	287026  

Name:	B27.2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	287027  
Old 01-03-2024, 11:01   #73

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

My boat is the same vintage and, barring any collisions with narco subs or other hard objects, I’m pretty sure she’ll outlive me. The small rudder is a bit of a liability, I have the original rudder on mine too, but you get accustomed to the quirks of any boat you get. Personally I wouldn’t consider it a deal breaker. It’s a classic CCA design and if that kind of boat is your thing, she’s a beautiful example of that. As to construction I am pretty sure that like mine she is a hand laid up blend of roving and mat, quite thick relative to later vintages. No “oil canning” which is flexing of the hull near the bow. Yes there is the issue of hobby horsing possibly so best to keep all weight as central as possible. And downwind rolling can also be an issue. In my own case I just live with it or I turn to a broad reach (and gybe.) Once heeled to 15 or 20 degrees I think you’ll find the motion very comfortable. The pitching and rolling are damped nicely and she’ll speed up a bit too. Be sure to check to see if the centerboard is still functioning. She came along at the end of the CCA years when the Cal 40 set a new standard so not many were built. You can enjoy knowing you are an owner of a rare classic and many old salts will want to come up and compliment her and chat about your boat wherever you go!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:02   #74

Boat: Alberg 30

I love my classic 1972 Alberg 30 Lora, See video in the post above. She took me around the world between October 2019 and June 2023.
jjernigan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 13:11   #75

I feel like the rudder is pretty normal size, but to be honest I’m not sure how many square feet it should be.

Going back to full keel boats I realize I’ll be losing the fin keel maneuverability.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6652.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	287044  

Tags
boat, classic