Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2024, 14:13   #46

Re: Classic Boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Are boats like this realistic to own instead of the Catalina’s etc you see filling marinas?

Absolutely stunning.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...ee-36-7233797/
I'd stay away from a Cheoy Lee. Nice lines on many of them but construction was very suspect on the ones I've looked at.
The Baba's are well built though. Not sure I'd call them 'classic', but I suppose they are due to being long in the tooth at this point!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 14:23   #47

Quote:
Fortunately the original teak has been replaced on this one about 10 years ago, but…. obviously that will come due again in another 10-15 years.

The teak isn't the issue. The underlying deck was completely rotten and needed to be re-cored.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 15:13   #48

Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'd stay away from a Cheoy Lee. Nice lines on many of them but construction was very suspect on the ones I've looked at.
The Baba's are well built though. Not sure I'd call them 'classic', but I suppose they are due to being long in the tooth at this point!
This baba 30 looks obsessively maintained. Heated indoor storage. Newer diesel. $69k…

Is that crazy for a baba 30? It’s super well maintained, but that’s like 2x average price… I do really like that boat though. Plus it’s smaller so things like the inevitable teak replacement will cost less.

I always thought Cheoy Lee was known to be in the tank category. What didn’t you like about construction?
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 15:52   #49

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Fortunately the original teak has been replaced on this one about 10 years ago, but…. obviously that will come due again in another 10-15 years.
If the teak has been replaced in the last 10 years, I would be surprised if anyone used screws to attach the new teak. The underlying deck problems of “leaky teaky“ sailboats, due to the screw holes has been known for decades. It’s cheaper, easier and curative to epoxy the new teak down rather than drilling 1000+ new screw holes in the deck. It’s easy to tell if screws were used. Epoxied down teak boards have no bungs covering screws.
Also, the lifespan of the new teak deck, if installed correctly, will probably be much longer than you will own the boat. That’s assuming it is maintained properly and not constantly sanded.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 16:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post
If the teak has been replaced in the last 10 years, I would be surprised if anyone used screws to attach the new teak. The underlying deck problems of “leaky teaky“ sailboats, due to the screw holes has been known for decades. It’s cheaper, easier and curative to epoxy the new teak down rather than drilling 1000+ new screw holes in the deck. It’s easy to tell if screws were used. Epoxied down teak boards have no bungs covering screws.
Also, the lifespan of the new teak deck, if installed correctly, will probably be much longer than you will own the boat. That’s assuming it is maintained properly and not constantly sanded.
I’m also going to be on Great Lakes for the foreseeable future. Only 6 month season and little UV in winter.

It’s crazy how much faster boats weather in Florida.
Old 23-02-2024, 16:10   #51

Good point on attachment. I don’t see the bungs in the pictures now that you mention it.

Just uploading this picture makes me want to buy that boat lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6628.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	286770  
Old 23-02-2024, 17:43   #52

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
I always thought Cheoy Lee was known to be in the tank category.
You just gotta be careful, sometimes they, like many of their Tiawan cousins, used lots of glass but not enough resin, leading to "dry layups".
Poorly passivated stainless that does rust.
A lot of "in house/shop made" hardware, like door/hatch/latches/catches/hinges/cleats/chocks that are difficult to replace, and replacement stuff never fits the same bolt/screw hole pattern.
Copies of Edson steering hardware that are "not quite there", so to speak.*
Too thick/brittle gel-coat.
The tendency to use trim to trim-the-trim, and more trim to accent the trim.
The result is billions of screw holes everywhere in/on the boat with not the best of sealing practices.
Oh, on the screws, you'll find frequently that size-for-size the heads and slots are smaller than American gauge which while not threatening is a pia to deal with.
But no doubt they have built a lot a nice boats.
Old 23-02-2024, 18:08   #53

Boat: Gulf 32

Chartered a Baba 30 once, really liked the boat. Full keel if you get the sails set right she just rides a rail no matter what's going on (gusts, swells). Certainly not huge though (canoe stern so had to step up and over the cockpit locker to get out from behind the wheel, v-berth tight for my 6'5" self, and I had to leave the door open when using the head or I wouldn't fit). Very pretty boat IMO. Teak decks would be a non starter for me though.

I love my 1988 full keel plastic classic. Broke off her mooring in 60+ knots of wind and went walkabout in and out of a few rocky coves in the PNW before she was corralled, spent some time bouncing on the rocky bottoms, came away with essentially cosmetic damage... a fin keel with exposed shaft would have sunk for sure IMO. Doesn't back well sure but get to know how to use your prop walk to your advantage and she's plenty manouverable.

Cost of purchase was about 10% of what I would have bought a new (or newish) 30'.

I do worry about the ongoing trend with insurance companies though, getting harder and harder to find someone who will insure these older boats (even though they're less expensive to total, so it's weird that way).

-- Bass
Old 23-02-2024, 18:15   #54
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

The problem with teak decks that are screwed down is you can't assess the underlying structure for moisture intrusion. My boat is a teak deck - gotta say I love it! But my deck is epoxied on, no screws..plus my boat is solid fiberglass so it has no coring anyway. A major plus in my book...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 18:21   #55
dlj

All the Choy Lee's I've dealt with had numerous hidden problems due to shoddy original build quality. I would never buy one unless I knew the boat intimately and all the problems I KNEW were dealt with.

That Baba 30 on the other hand is one fine boat! Now, is the price too high? I don't know, maybe, but it sure looks like a great boat from here...

dj
Old 23-02-2024, 18:24   #56
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
The teak isn't the issue. The underlying deck was completely rotten and needed to be re-cored.
Teak was replaced 10 years ago - nice - BUT, did they re-core the underlying deck? Did they inspect it for water intrusion? Are there documents showing ALL that was done? No documents, I'd not even look at it ..

dj
Old 23-02-2024, 19:08   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Teak was replaced 10 years ago - nice - BUT, did they re-core the underlying deck? Did they inspect it for water intrusion? Are there documents showing ALL that was done? No documents, I'd not even look at it ..

dj
It’s also notable epoxy fastening battens of wood on the fiberglass will add to the structural integrity. I’m not sure in what way or how much, but it definitely would strengthen the deck.

Original screwed on teak planks were just laying on the deck with a screw to stop it from blowing off in the wind.

With people epoxy applying the teak is actually an integral part of the deck. Fully adhered.

Be interesting to hear an engineers opinion on this
Old 23-02-2024, 19:26   #58
dlj

Quote:
It’s also notable epoxy fastening battens of wood on the fiberglass will add to the structural integrity. I’m not sure in what way or how much, but it definitely would strengthen the deck.

Original screwed on teak planks were just laying on the deck with a screw to stop it from blowing off in the wind.

With people epoxy applying the teak is actually an integral part of the deck. Fully adhered.

Be interesting to hear an engineers opinion on this
One would have to know what epoxy was used - West System epoxies have engineering data, but most other epoxies seem to be lacking in that respect. Additionally, you would need shear strength as well as the more common tensile values.

One would also need to know the characteristics of the deck material, which would likely be near impossible to find.

And then you would have to know how the bonding was done, e.g. in patches; was the coating thickness controlled and things like that.

The answer to your question is close to impossible to know.

dj
Old 23-02-2024, 19:42   #59

It really is impossible but to answer accurately. Can’t argue on the baba 30 either…

That boat looks superb.
Old 27-02-2024, 16:32   #60

Baba 30 gone before I got to see it…

I found a Pearson Invicta 38 too. Not a teak drenched beauty, but looks like a good boat. Very 60s vibe

Tags
boat, classic