Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2024, 19:10   #31

Boat: Downeaster 38
Re: Classic Boats?

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...shore-8950058/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6618.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	286687  
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 19:27   #32

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
Classic boats can give you amazing value for your money. But definitely try to look at them with some realism about their performance and compromises.

We sailed a classic 1925 FULL keel design for 6+ years and as long as you were not trying to go to windward: it was a great boat. Solid turn of speed for its size, lots of sea comfort (unless dead downwind: she rolled), weight aboard was never an issue. Good tankage and tons of storage. For the money, it was absolutely a boat that could take you anywhere on this earth, as long as you were not in a hurry.

We moved on to a more performance style modern hull form and it was a absolutely incredible the difference in sailing performance. Fast on any point of sail (for a mono) and the extra beam makes the interior space much larger. I could maneuver the boat in reverse for once. The sugar scoop transom was possibly the most convenient feature I have ever had on a sailboat.

In truth: the modern vessel was not as pretty to my eye, but the modern performance was very worth it to me.

All boats are compromises. Classic boats a bit more so. The larger ones over 40' seem to feel less like a compromise in my experience as their size hides some of the drawbacks.

Commonly overlooked aspects of classic boats in the tropics:

-Exterior varnish is the devil. (if it lives under canvas: whats the point??)

-Teak Decks can also be the devil. (leaks/maintenance: cannot be replaced anymore)

-Access to the water can be difficult, especially if you are not spry. (Dinghy access especially)
-Narrow Beams often contribute to roll and cramped interiors.

-Teak and Mahogany make Dark interiors: be aware of their cave like status.

-Hardware and systems are sometimes very OLD, so parts can be tough.

Advantages:

-LOTS of boat for the money typically.

-Built like tanks! Very forgiving and durable.

-Heavy displacement can contribute positively to sea kindliness.

-Lots of information available for upgrades and known issues.

-Lots of information available about sailing performance.

-Attractive lines for some models.
One man’s “dark cave” interior is another man’s warm, rich interior.
Yes, teak decks still can be replaced.
Old wooden bowsprits can also be replaced in stainless.
Engines can be replaced. Bow thrusters can be added. Electronics can be modernized.
Their indestructible keels are comforting for when (not if) you touch bottom.
And classics with a decent sized bowsprit can carry a massive amount of sail and perform like a freight train offshore, which is what they were built for. Safely and comfortably crossing oceans.
Admittedly, there is a learning curve for docking these beasts. But it just takes practice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	286690   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	286691  

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	286692   Click image for larger version

Name:	B2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	286693  

Name:	B3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	286694   Click image for larger version

Name:	C2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	286695  

Name:	D.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	286696  
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 19:52   #33

That boat is sublime
Old 22-02-2024, 20:05   #34

Thanks
Old 22-02-2024, 20:15   #35

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post
Amen, I've forgotten whether it was Atkin or Herreshoff, who in their writings said that the cabin of a cruising yacht was one of the few places where one could have solace from the outside world.
Bringing the outside-into-the-inside may have a place in a Frank Lloyd Wright home, but the inside of a yacht should give you both physical and mental shelter from the outside.
Old 23-02-2024, 05:48   #36

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

VChild -

Beautiful boat! You did what I did - lighten the mahogany interior by using lighter fabric for the cushion covers. Where you painted the strip along the port lights white - I hung white curtains. Your downstairs looks great. My friend's boat's cabin is made of ash, which also lightens things. So - 'classic' boat cabins don't always have to be 'caves'.

Bowdrie -

"The cabin of a small yacht is truly a wonderful thing; not only will it shelter you from a tempest, but from the other troubles in life, it is a safe retreat." - L(ewis) Francis Herreshoff

Great memory! Couldn't agree more.
Old 23-02-2024, 05:54   #37

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
IMHO, it feels much cooler down below if it is a dark cave, making it really nice in the tropics. After awhile in the tropics the sun becomes your enemy, and the constant brilliant light is tiring. One of the first things I do is paint over or put curtains on any see-through overhead hatches. Multis often have too much of the greenhouse effect for my taste. It is nice to see out at times, but not when the noonday sun makes it a pressure cooker. When you feel like light and sun, the cockpit is the place to be, but down below should be peaceful and restful. YMMV
Old 23-02-2024, 06:17   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

2010 Morris M36

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/m36-morris/

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...716092454.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Morris M36.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	286717   Click image for larger version

Name:	M36.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	286718  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 06:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8r View Post
VChild -

Beautiful boat! You did what I did - lighten the mahogany interior by using lighter fabric for the cushion covers. Where you painted the strip along the port lights white - I hung white curtains. Your downstairs looks great. My friend's boat's cabin is made of ash, which also lightens things. So - 'classic' boat cabins don't always have to be 'caves'.

Bowdrie -

"The cabin of a small yacht is truly a wonderful thing; not only will it shelter you from a tempest, but from the other troubles in life, it is a safe retreat." - L(ewis) Francis Herreshoff

Great memory! Couldn't agree more.
Thanks. Actually that’s the original interior. It came with the light cream color around the port lights. The fabric is also original but the cushions were carefully un-tufted, un-sewn, re-foamed with higher density foam, then re-sewn and re-tufted. The original fabric was too perfect to let it go to waste. Interior is solid Burmese teak and marble countertops.
Old 23-02-2024, 13:09   #40

Gentlemen, you have fine taste is yachts. All head turners.

I called on the Cheoy Lee 41 offshore. It sounds very promising. Teak is about 10 years old in good shape so it’s not tomorrow’s problem. I want teak so bad I think I’m just going to go for it…

Put couple grand back annually to pay for replacement someday. Teak replacement fund
Old 23-02-2024, 13:27   #41

I had an Offshore 41 ketch for many years-happy to communicate offline if you like
newboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 13:27   #42

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

I sailed my classic plastic 1966 Spencer 42 all the way to Alaska and back from Seattle last year, amazing trip, great boat. Sails incredibly well.

If you love you a classic plastic, go for it as long as it is one of the well built boats. I plan on sailing the world in mine after another yard period this year making some upgrades.
Old 23-02-2024, 13:37   #43

Keep the pics coming

Newboat:

Would you care to share your general assessment of owning the offshore 41 publicly? Do you look back on ownership favorably?
Old 23-02-2024, 13:56   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Keep the pics coming

Newboat:

Would you care to share your general assessment of owning the offshore 41 publicly? Do you look back on ownership favorably?

My father owned a 1979 Cheoy Lee Offshore 41 for 30 years. I did a lot of sea miles on that boat, including passages to Bermuda, Maine and Nova Scotia. Be leery of the teak decks. They were screwed into the underlying deck and will leak. By the time my dad sold the boat, it needed basically the entire deck replaced (and this was 20 years ago).

They are beautiful boats. Don't point well, and are heavy and slow. Give her 20 knots on a broad reach though and she will reel off the miles. Upwind in a seaway she can pound a little. Probably nothing compared to some modern designs, but notably worse than my boat (S&S 34).
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 14:12   #45

Fortunately the original teak has been replaced on this one about 10 years ago, but…. obviously that will come due again in another 10-15 years.

Tags
boat, classic