Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 21-01-2023, 19:57   #4171

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Did you deal with them too? (update) ...got your message...funny and small world!
right! haha
off-piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 06:34   #4172
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Someone once said that yacht brokers were failed used car salesmen, which is of course, unfair to used car salesmen...

So...I have a buddy who was intrigued by this boat, a 1984 Endurance pilothouse:
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...house-8590520/

It came up a couple of months ago and my friend has been unable to get a straight answer from the broker; perhaps it's sold, but the ad's still up.

Perhaps it's too good to be true?
SuW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 07:08   #4173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Someone once said that yacht brokers were failed used car salesmen, which is of course, unfair to used car salesmen...

So...I have a buddy who was intrigued by this boat, a 1984 Endurance pilothouse:

It came up a couple of months ago and my friend has been unable to get a straight answer from the broker; perhaps it's sold, but the ad's still up.

Have them call Kelly at NW Yachtnet. PM me if you need his number . He is a great broker and friend.
Old 22-01-2023, 18:05   #4174

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

No mention or photo of engine... I suspect that a problem there is the reason for the low price. Otherwise looks good!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 03:31   #4175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
No mention or photo of engine... I suspect that a problem there is the reason for the low price. Otherwise looks good!
The last several I worked on had 4-108 perkins which are almost bulletproof
Old 23-01-2023, 07:40   #4176

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

I think it was this brokerage I bought my Ingrid 38 in the early 2000's. They are quite reputable and easy to deal with. Because there is no mention or picture of the engine doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with it. They state a few times of upgrades done to the vessel. It's likely that it was well taken care of.
These are great boats. I have been aboard of a few of them. They usually go well in upwards of $40k.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 08:43   #4177

Boat: Cascade 42

Nice looking Ericson.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...587511826.html
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 11:14   #4178
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_sailing View Post
If that's in Canadian dollars it's a steal!

Since it's been re-powered with a diesel and looks very well maintained, it is worth considering.
Old 10-02-2023, 15:32   #4179

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_sailing View Post
It sure is clean
Old 15-02-2023, 18:14   #4180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
1986 Bristol 35.5 $19000, punta gorda, florida...This is advertised as a "diamond in the rough", ... thnks
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...-35.5-8626614/
Went to see it, even made an offer, had under contract (seller accepted $15k) with conditions that were not met. Simple conditions like "engine operates correctly" and "centerboard goes down and comes up".

Diesel did not start. A mechanic diagnosed it as needing a new fuel pump. New fuel pump installed. Motor still does not start.

Centerboard is locked in the up position, will not go down. Wire on the winch is slack. First reported "probably barnacles/fouling", diver engaged, could not confirm/get the centerboard to move.

Then, "it's bolted in place" (why??).

Also, in addition to the toe-rail storm damage, there appears to be rot in toerail elsewhere, and, in addition to what's shown in the listing photos, more interior wood damage, parts of the cabin sole under/around the nav station/centerboard cable pipe are soft underfoot.

Looking at other boats, all of the above is FYI for anyone else interested in this boat. Could be beautiful, but "a handful" of a project.
yanekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 19:05   #4181
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanekm View Post
Went to see it, even made an offer, had under contract (seller accepted $15k) with conditions that were not met. Simple conditions like "engine operates correctly" and "centerboard goes down and comes up".

Diesel did not start. A mechanic diagnosed it as needing a new fuel pump. New fuel pump installed. Motor still does not start.

Centerboard is locked in the up position, will not go down. Wire on the winch is slack. First reported "probably barnacles/fouling", diver engaged, could not confirm/get the centerboard to move.

Also, in addition to the toe-rail storm damage, there appears to be rot in toerail elsewhere, and, in addition to what's shown in the listing photos, more interior wood damage, parts of the cabin sole under/around the nav station/centerboard cable pipe are soft underfoot.

Looking at other boats, all of the above is FYI for anyone else interested in this boat. Could be beautiful, but "a handful" of a project.
It's a shame someone neglected a boat like that. Considering the work to bring it back and the deficiencies you mention, it might be worthless.
Old 15-02-2023, 19:57   #4182

Quote:
It's a shame someone neglected a boat like that. Considering the work to bring it back and the deficiencies you mention, it might be worthless.
I was willing to accept/handle the woodwork. Needed to know/have a good correctly-functioning engine and have the centerboard issue resolved. They weren't.

Certainly not worthless, the boat is beautiful and of good design and construction, worth it for someone willing to take on more of a project than I am, and can/will be a beautiful and well-sailing vessel.
yanekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 20:17   #4183

Quote:
I was willing to accept/handle the woodwork. Needed to know/have a good correctly-functioning engine and have the centerboard issue resolved. They weren't.

Certainly not worthless, the boat is beautiful and of good design and construction, worth it for someone willing to take on more of a project than I am, and can/will be a beautiful and well-sailing vessel.
Value is always subjective, but the likelihood of someone bringing that back from the dead is probably low.
off-piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 20:47   #4184

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Quote:
Is that an applied deck on it?
Old 15-02-2023, 20:53   #4185
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

The bristol 35.5 does have a positive locking mechanism on the centerboard.
Did the engine have compression ? Fuel pump or injection pump stuck ? Dirty injectors? Would it try to start on starting fluid ( don't use glow plugs when using starting fluid)
Was the engine properly blead after new pump was installed?
YouTube channel sailing soulianis. Was sailing a 35.5 and had issues with centerboard did entire episodes about the problems and cures

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price