Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2023, 11:05   #1

Anchor attachment

Hi, all!

I'm confused with the supposed anchor attachment to my sailboat. Picture is in attachment. The roller is quite near the end of the bow. And I can't image how one can drop down the anchor using it. My sailboat is not new, may be somebody has (or had) the similar attachment and can explain me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230804_180150_917.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	279158  
VeryNewSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:44   #2

Re: Anchor attachment

I can not imagine any way to make that work.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 15:01   #3

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Agree that’s it hard to see how it would work as an anchor attachment.

I could see how it would work as the attachment for the tack line of an asymmetric spinnaker (albeit not particularly well thought out).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 15:38   #4

Here is how you do it :-)

What you have was installed by someone EXTREMELY weak on the concepts.

I am in the fortunate position that I have a genuine Bruce anchor. Some people disparage them, but a lot depends on the bottom conditions where you sail.

I just love the way mine is essentially "auto-stowing" on my stem-roller. You need to change the positioning of your roller so it is like mine.

You will see that I have a capstan. Don't bother! PITA in a thirty-footer! It just makes stowing the rode difficult because the spurling pipe is always too small in diameter on these "yotty" capstans. In the yacht world "pretty" always seems to override "useful". My major beef is that the pipe won't take the rope to chain splice if you are using a rope/chain rode.

Also be aware that it won't do a yotty capstan any good if you belay your rode to it when the anchorage is any kind of bouncy! You need a REALLY solid horn cleat to belay to, independent of the capstan, or, better still, a proper samson post.

And don't try to take in the rode by warping the boat forward on the capstan. Your electrics just won't have the guts to do that. Motor forward if you have crew. If you are single-handing, then go forward and let Mr. Armstrong do the work.

All the best :-)

TrentePieds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3384.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	279159   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3383.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	279160  

Name:	DSCN3381.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	279161  
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 17:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryNewSailor View Post
I'm confused with the supposed anchor attachment to my sailboat.
That's not an anchor attachment, anchor attaches to the chain which attaches to the boat in the chain locker. The wire sling and shackle appear to be for securing the anchor when it's stowed.

Your boat appears to be missing the bow roller which should protrude over the bow by a significant amount to prevent the chain and anchor contacting the bow.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 19:19   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Is there a cleat or Samson post and deck plate out of the picture where the rode would go down into a locker below the deck? My guess is there is a bow roller missing and the roller and fitting you see there were for securing the shank of whatever anchor they were using.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 20:15   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

I'm not convinced that is for an anchor at all. The roller appears to be stainless steel? And where does the forestay attach? Shouldn't a bow roller be offset to one side? The whole stem fitting appears to be missing. The pad eye is in the way if used for an anchor but would be appropriate for the tack of a sail, but the positioning seems wrong for that as well.
Old 04-08-2023, 21:06   #8

Go here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-277749.html

to see a pic of the boat on her trailer. Bet you a brick to London Town that before Very New bought her, she had been in the hands of someone clueless about boats. Probably didn't even know what the function of an anchor is :-)!

So, Very New, we'll gladly help you to get her sorted out without it costing you an arm and a leg :-)

TP.
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, men