Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-12-2018, 15:42   #91

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
One more suggestion: Install some up and down LED spreader lights with a color controller while the boat is being built. It’s nice to be able to leave them turned on while in anchorages for security and to not get hit by nightime boaters.
Got this already!
Thanks again for the suggestion. Nothing beats experience...

Here is a pic of the down LED spreader light, together with the radar and hailer.

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 15:53   #92

Amel 50 at night...

Old 15-12-2018, 15:58   #93
rlg

Gorgeous boat!, thanks for sharing.

But I have to ask, with such a perfect boat and build, isnt now the time to sort the solar arrangement?

Im sorry It just looks the only question mark on a sweet yacht.
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:12   #94
cruiser

Regarding solar, Why not just add some Solbian high efficiency panels to the hard bimini, then raise up the davit panels by a foot and sweep them back at the same time? Creating practicality and visual appeal. We have 450W on top of our 53 bimini and plan to install 950W to the top of the 62 on individual controllers. Shading isn’t an issue if you pull the boom off to the side while anchored.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:24   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
Gorgeous boat!, thanks for sharing.

But I have to ask, with such a perfect boat and build, isn't now the time to sort the solar arrangement?

I'm sorry It just looks the only question mark on a sweet yacht.
Thank you for the comments. I am glad you like this thread.

From the beginning, I wanted to equip the boat for extended cruising. This included Solar and Wind. At the same time, I did not want to change the looks of the boat too much... She looks so pretty when she is simple. Even the davits distract from the looks. But, I am more function than fashion, as I said before. So, I am getting the davits and solar for now.

Regarding wind generator, Amel did not want to install the D400 wind generator for me. So, I decided to postpone it until later.

Regarding solar, if you read my previous posts, I installed as much solar as Amel wants to install. After I use the boat for a season, I will know more about how I use her and what I need to change.

I decided to not install a water generator (Watt & Sea). It has a limited usefulness and the Amel 50 stern with fold down swim platform makes the installation tricky.

On my Lagoon 450 I had Lithium batteries, Watt & Sea, two SilentWinds, and Solar. I disliked with passion the SilentWinds (constant problems on both), and I was neutral about the Watt & Sea. I loved the solar.

Anyway, I am at the limit of what the factory will do. On top of that, it is too late to change things. This is one of the reasons, Amel always meet their production schedule.
Old 15-12-2018, 16:51   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Regarding solar, Why not just add some Solbian high efficiency panels to the hard bimini, then raise up the davit panels by a foot and sweep them back at the same time? Creating practicality and visual appeal. We have 450W on top of our 53 bimini and plan to install 950W to the top of the 62 on individual controllers. Shading isn’t an issue if you pull the boom off to the side while anchored.
Regarding the davit solar, I want to be on the boat and see where the raised solar panels will go, or how they seat over the dinghy now. It might not be a problem the way they are. I have not seen a boat with a dinghy and solar on the davits. The solar brackets are easy to change. But, I will ask Amel to see if they can send me pics or raise the panels.

I am already installing 200W @ 24V solar on the hardtop. That's all Amel is willing to do. Also, a large center portion of the hardtop slides open, which makes solar wiring a challenge, and there are two hatches. I do not trust anyone other than Amel to do the work without me being there. Without dealing with the sliding portion, I was able to fit 4x50W Solbian panels on the sides.

Here is a picture of the hardtop while it is open.

Old 15-12-2018, 17:16   #97
rlg

Thank you for your thoughts. I only posted initially because of the inherent difficulty of incorporating solar into such a beautiful yacht without too much detriment to aesthetics.

regards, rob
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 17:20   #98
cruiser

Do this:

Solar panel solution on a Hylas 54 with Simpson Davits - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 15-12-2018, 19:06   #99

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I am already installing 200W @ 24V solar on the hardtop.
I suppose, you realize that voltage specification is irrelevant to the PV panel energy output.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 21:03   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I suppose, you realize that voltage specification is irrelevant to the PV panel energy output.
I do. It is Watts. I just mentioned it because some panels output 24V. Thanks.

I saw this thread. I'll pass the pictures and request to Amel and see what they say. Thanks.
Old 15-12-2018, 23:58   #101

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
The Amel 50 will probably consume more than my ex-Lagoon 450 as it has more systems. In addition, the A50 has MasterVolt GEL batteries (600ah @ 24V), while on the L450 I had installed Lithium (900ah @ 12V). On the L450 I had about 900w solar, with Victron controller, and on sunny days, I did not have to start the generator.

I still have to do energy calculations on the A50. I want to reduce generator running time. I will know more after I use the boat. In addition, I opted for the factory options as they will be under warranty and I do not have to deal with 3rd party installers in France. I wanted to make it easy on me since Amel does good work.

Amel installs 2 x 200W @ 24V solar panels on the Davits with MasterVolt solar controller. I forgot the solar panel brand but they are name brand. The installation seems robust and is lightweight. In order for one to use the steps to the swim platform, the solar panels are mounted past the davits. The dinghy, when on the davits, extends past the solar panels. Also, there are retractable stainless tubes at the end of the davits to stabilize the dinghy.

I am not getting the TracVision shown. These pictures are from another A50. Also, I am installing the stern navigation light, over the davits so that it is visible with the dinghy on the davits.

I wanted Amel to install additional solar panels on the cockpit hardtop and I suggested 4 x 50W Solbian panels. They eventually proposed to install the SunWare TX-42252 removable solar panels. They are 200W @ 24V. I am not sure about the controller.

SunWare TX-42252 Datasheet

SunWare TX-42252 Install Manual

I have not seen this installation on another Amel. The cockpit hardtop is not ideal solar panel location as the boom will cast a shadow. I just wanted as much solar as possible without making the boat too ugly.

So, I will have total of 600W @ 24V solar panels. In the future, I can always replace the davit solar panels with larger ones.
Very elegant solution. Especially the fact that you can attach the passarel next to the davits. However you’ll need to drop the dinghy every time you Med moor and you’ll need a very long passarel to bridge the gap.
Looking at the pix with the 310 dinghy you might be able to leave the dinghy in place and walk past it (difficult to see). If that’s the case I would definitely go for the 310 instead off the 340. Saves a lot of hassle.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 00:42   #102
cruiser

There have been many times where we’ve needed to climb over the dinghy in a hurry while it’s raised up on the davits during a Med mooring procedure. Not a problem with a catamaran, but with solar panels blocking the route over the top on a monohull... yes a big problem when one needs to act quickly.
Old 16-12-2018, 01:46   #103
cruiser

Another recommendation: Have Amel build you an integrated boarding ladder which folds down off the side of your boat from the stanchions. It’s much easier to board and unload from the side.
Old 16-12-2018, 08:19   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
Very elegant solution. Especially the fact that you can attach the passarel next to the davits. However you’ll need to drop the dinghy every time you Med moor and you’ll need a very long passarel to bridge the gap.
Looking at the pix with the 310 dinghy you might be able to leave the dinghy in place and walk past it (difficult to see). If that’s the case I would definitely go for the 310 instead off the 340. Saves a lot of hassle.
One of my beliefs is to keep things simple and stupid (as much as possible). The less hassle something is, the more it gets used...

I have been struggling with the dinghy size. Amel recommends the 310. The dinghy dealer recommends the 340. The 340 is very close in specs, offers better ride and more functionality but might cause problems with the extra weight and size. Both accept the 20hp outboard. I have not committed on the dinghy yet. I will have to rethink it.

Kenomac, I will talk to Amel for the side boarding ladder again. They make one for the 55 and, early on, I asked them for it but said that they do not offer it for the 50. They use a single FenderStep.

Thank you all for your input. There are so many details to be decided that some fall through the cracks.
Old 16-12-2018, 09:30   #105

Boat: Comet 41s

One thing I did not saw photos about was hull Keel structure. do you have any?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote