Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2023, 08:54   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
forespar line control whisker pole - line pulled out

Hi everyone,

I have a Forespar whisker pole, the kind with a pulley and a cleat at the mast end that you can use the telescope the pole out to the correct size then cleat off.

The rope normally passes through the pole and e its through a sheave and hole at the mast end. A crew member somehow pulled the rope out through the sheeve so that the entire control line is now on the outside of the pole. This makes it impossible to telescope. I’m not sure on the internal design of these poles, and I see no obvious way to get it back in. I was thinking it might be easier to rig something on the outboard exterior end instead. I’d appreciate any advice, thanks!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 10:28   #2

Boat: 2014 Leopard 39
Re: forespar line control whisker pole - line pulled out

At the end of this file, there is a diagram showing how the Forespar whisker pole is rigged internally.

https://www.forespar.com/pdf/techTip...ing-Jibing.pdf

Sorry, I can’t give you any advice on rigging it externally.
Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 11:06   #3

Boat: 2014 Leopard 39

The usual way to fix this would be to remove both end fittings on the whisker pole and rerun the line.
If the fasteners on the end fittings are corroded, it may be be necessary to drill out the fasteners.
Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 12:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby View Post
At the end of this file, there is a diagram showing how the Forespar whisker pole is rigged internally.

https://www.forespar.com/pdf/techTip...ing-Jibing.pdf

Sorry, I can’t give you any advice on rigging it externally.
Thanks, this was exactly what I needed!
Old 24-11-2023, 12:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby View Post
The usual way to fix this would be to remove both end fittings on the whisker pole and rerun the line.
If the fasteners on the end fittings are corroded, it may be be necessary to drill out the fasteners.
Agreed, I just looked at it with the diagram, shouldn’t be too hard to fix.
Old 13-12-2023, 14:58   #6

Boat: Lido 14, B-25, Cal 20, Moore 24 over the years

Forespar does have some written instructions for disassembling a Line Control Whisker Pole and repair a pole. It has been a constant work in progress this last year. These instructions are very pole part number specific and you need to know the specific model that you have. The best way to tell is to confirm the outside diameter of the two alum tubes and also be able to give the type of inboard endfitting used.Pictures of the inboard end and the mast car used are always helpful.

Replacement/Repair parts are available thru Forespar. The only expensive part is "if" you need replacement tubes. The cost of shipping the tubes will be the same as shipping a complete new pole. Shipping overseas can be fun parts wise so make sure to mention that part close to the beginning of any conversation or email.
Professor Fate is offline   Reply With Quote