Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2023, 11:58   #1
ACW

Stuck propellor

Hi. I have a Beneteau 46.1. She is now out of the water after the first season and I want to take off the propellor to install a rope cutter on the sail drive shaft. I cannot take the cone off that is immediately in front of propellor. Once off the propellor should then just slide off and then II can insert the rope cutter.

I have taken off the 2 nuts holding the cone in place and then jammed a piece of wood under the propellor to stop it from turning ( I cannot just engage gear as I have electronic throttle) and inserted a screwdriver in the cone to try to turn cone anti clockwise. I also tried tapping the cone with a hammer to try loosening it. It is stuck. Any suggestions pls? Much appreciated if you have any.
ACW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:02   #2

Re: Stuck propellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACW View Post
Hi. I have a Beneteau 46.1. She is now out of the water after the first season and I want to take off the propellor to install a rope cutter on the sail drive shaft. I cannot take the cone off that is immediately in front of propellor. Once off the propellor should then just slide off and then II can insert the rope cutter.

I have taken off the 2 nuts holding the cone in place and then jammed a piece of wood under the propellor to stop it from turning ( I cannot just engage gear as I have electronic throttle) and inserted a screwdriver in the cone to try to turn cone anti clockwise. I also tried tapping the cone with a hammer to try loosening it. It is stuck. Any suggestions pls? Much appreciated if you have any.
A photo would help….
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:16   #3
ACW

Hi. Thks for the ask. I didn’t take a photo when I was on the boat today but will take one when I am next down. In the meantime here is a stock photo from the owners manual, hope it’s clear enough but it’s not great clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3491.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	284073  
Old 04-12-2023, 12:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Wrap a hand towel around the prop and pour a pan of boiling water on it slowly so it heats up for a good 10 minutes.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:41   #5
ACW

Thank you. I will try that.
Old 04-12-2023, 13:00   #6

It’s very hard to see, in the photo, but does that cone have a “bent tab” lockwasher between it and the prop?
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 13:49   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

You need a wheel puller like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...4QAvD_BwE&th=1

Load up some force on it. If the prop does not let go uniformly heat the propeller hub with a propane torch with the puller is in place with force on it. By uniformly I mean rotate the prop and heat the hub as you turn it. At some point the prop should pop loose. Don't be shy with the force applied with the puller or the heat.

PS. My mistake I thought you wanted to pull the prop, not the zinc.

The zinc has probably welded itself to the shaft. If the nuts are off and it does not move gently tap on the side of it, near the prop as you rotate the prop. At some point it should come loose. You may have to destroy the zinc to get it off.

Also, put the two nuts back on, lock them together and try to turn the threaded rod out of the propeller shaft.

Is that a saildrive? Get an exploded view of the drive and look at how it is put together.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 14:23   #8

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Someone probably installed the cone without the plastic spacer between the cone and the prop. It may be tightened metal to metal ( aluminum to aluminum ). Insert a long hard bolt thru the cone and jam a wood block between hull and prop and knock the mess out of the bolt end with a big hammer. install with grease and a new plastic washer.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 15:16   #9

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

That cone anode will have the prop nut inside the casting,the unit may need to be removed as one unit,use a wood or rubber mallet to robustly tap the anode part ,with the stud down the middle indicates it will pull clear of the prop nut .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 23:47   #10

No cone anode, no hitting with a hammer, its a saildrive and you’re in dangerous territory here. The aluminium prop retaining cone nut has a helicoil inside and at this point you risk breaking off the threaded end of the propeller shaft if its seized inside the cone nut. The question about the locking tab is reasonable, are there flats on the base of the cone to allow a tabwasher? unfortunately the rubber hub in the standard saildrive fixed prop absorbs the shock load to undo the nut and under some circumstances its possible to get the prop to turn on the normally tight rubber hub…. Thats not good. Proceed with caution and good luck. Oh, you can engage the saildrive manually at the gearbox, there’s a selector, not a solenoid.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:13   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
You need a wheel puller like this:
Not on a saildrive prop he doesn't
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:15   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not on a saildrive prop he doesn't
OK, without a good picture I was thinking conventional prop.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:20   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
It’s very hard to see, in the photo, but does that cone have a “bent tab” lockwasher between it and the prop?
It does not. Here is the attachment hardware:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yanmar sd50 fixed 2-blade prop nut assy.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	284083  
Old 05-12-2023, 07:36   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Oh, you can engage the saildrive manually at the gearbox, there’s a selector, not a solenoid.
The saildrive must be in neutral when torquing any of the nuts or the cone. Damage to the clutch is likely otherwise.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:54   #15

Two tools will fix this problem properly......

1) Telephone

2) Credit Card

Be careful. You don't know. It doesn't look like you have a manual with a blow out. You're getting a lot of misdirection in this thread that you're going to need to sift through. Much of it, more expensive than my solution.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope