Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 16:02   #1

Boat: Hunter 40
Aft galley or inline galley?

Hi all
I have read in a few threads that some don't like inline galleys and prefer aft galleys for safety. Why? A lot of the European and some Australian builders use them. They can't be that bad can they??
Old 20-04-2014, 16:31   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Aft galley or inline galley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 South View Post
Hi all
I have read in a few threads that some don't like inline galleys and prefer aft galleys for safety. Why? A lot of the European and some Australian builders use them. They can't be that bad can they??
Who is to say? We have been living with an inline and I have all kinds of complaints. If I had a sideways galley, There would be problems with it too. Now if you are talking being at anchor, that is a different story. We spend most of our time at anchor so I just take what we have for granted.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 16:57   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Inline galleys seem popular on charter vessels to maximize space for staterooms. Personally, I would not want one as they are not as seaworthy and take away from salon space. It's all personal preference really.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 20:38   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Depends a bit on how you're using the boat. If you're eating while underway, an aft galley makes it easier to hand food up to the cockpit. Being near the main hatch may give it better ventilation, and help keep things cooler. An aft location also may enable the sink to be closer to the centerline, so that it drains on both tacks. Aft galleys also tend to be L-shaped (so as to put the sink nearer the centerline, in many cases) so the cook can brace him or herself better against the counters, if needed. Motion aft also tends to be less than forward, so things are less likely to be thrown off the stove.(That may be your safety feature.) Many boats are wider aft than forward, so crew moving forward can get by the cook more easily than if the galley was in line along one side of the passageway. As noted, in line may work well at anchor, but we've never had one.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 21:47   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

How about inline galley aft, or U galley forward?
Never mind the shape, more depends how things work, proper gimbals (love to have sinks and some working area gimballed too), non skid tops and much more whats missing in most if not all production boats.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 22:42   #6

In line galleys are a waste of space, not safe, and far from the companionway.

Oh? You meant on boats?!?

We had a small kitchen in our old house, simple L shape, stove, counter, L, double sink, fridge. It worked great.

This house has a double inline kitchen: stove and fridge on one side, sink, microwave and oven on the other. Tons more counter space, but...

Same number of folks live here, but the kitchen gets crowded. Never happened in the old house.

They made galleys on boats for many years before the Europeans "discovered" a new useless fad, now some American builders are copying it.

Example: Catalina 42 - they make both. Look at the brochures and go on these boats - the inline galley steals so much space down below in the same hull.

Nonsense. Guess you don't wanna know how I really feel.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 07:21   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

I think it also really depends on the boat. On say, a Tayana 55, an inline galley works great because its in the starboard passageway. And lets face it, at 55'x16"1", you're not exactly hurting for space. But on something like an Alberg 35 (which offered a choice) the inline galley DESTROYS your space and storage. It basically kills half the boat just for the galley. So I think an inline galley can work well on a larger boat (or a galley down cat) but not so much on a smaller mono.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 07:34   #8

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
But on something like an Alberg 35 (which offered a choice) the inline galley DESTROYS your space and storage. It basically kills half the boat just for the galley. So I think an inline galley can work well on a larger boat (or a galley down cat) but not so much on a smaller mono.
Don't know much about the Alberg 35, but the Tartan 30 was available with in-line or aft galley. Mine is in-line, and I've been on several aft galley T30s. In my opinion, it's the aft galley version that destroys space and storage. I've got two full aft berths and wide open space between them. Perfect for stashing sails, lines, liferaft and just about everything else. The aft galley version of the T30 wipes out much of this storage space. I love my in-line galley (although I do have that sink drain problem heeled to port).

Now one very cool thing about that aft galley T30: the ice box is accessable from downstairs and from a hatch in the cockpit.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:04   #9

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Terra Nova has such a good arrangement, aft, inline. At the bottom of the offset companionway you step either into the portside galley or the starboard side nav area, which leads forward. The galley runs fore and aft, by itself, separated from the nav area by the engine box, whose top holds the double sink, on centerline, and provides support for the cook, who can work unmolested in the galley cul de sac.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley