Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2020, 17:16   #106

Re: A bit more boat help please.

thanks now I know what other things to pay attention to
fireant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 14:51   #107

Just came back from looking at the Ericson.

The few things we found wrong. Mast step at the keel is rusted bad, large pieces of rust break off. Rust expended so much that the aluminum part that bolts to it at the mast is bend up.
bilge is dry but all the way in the back there is what looks like heavy build up of salt crystals, Is that common ? I'm talking about 1/4in thick layer of salt.
All hatches the clear plastic part need replacing. Side windows need redone you can see the sealant if falling apart.
spider cracks are everywhere around the boat. From my little knowledge I would say 90% are surface but some I'm not so sure.
Needs lots of little and some not so little things done. defiantly needs all new electronics
everything is very old.
Compare to other smaller boats we looked at this one is more roomy obviously.
Over all I like it we consider to put an offer down on it. Big thing is the cost for the slip which would be more then 200 per month compare to a 30ft. plus all other upkeep for a larger boat.
Hydraulics need work, can we use the boat as is or it has to be repaired? can they be just removed?

To top it all I just got an email from a Catalina 30 owner I been trying to contact with. That boat is 1989 in great shape but its about 170 miles away down south.
Don said it would be 3-4 days to sail it up north mostly motoring. Not sure I'm up to it in know how.
We do like the Ericson, compare to other boats we looked at the Ericson didn't move side to side with my weight like other boats did. It felt a lot more stable. Which is better to consider for me getting sea sick.
You guys and girls weren't kidding when you said its a better boat.
Old 19-12-2020, 16:09   #108

boatpoker, I understand what you mean that getting the wrong boat can wipe me clean.
Unless someone born with the knowledge we all have to learn. I wasn't born into a family of sailors nor do I work in the industry. Where I learn all there is to know about boats. Like everyone else here.
The choice I have is walk away from it all and never look at another boat. Or admit I don't know and ask for help.
I'm here asking for help from everyone that can teach me and give me an advice.
How else can I educate myself and gain the knowledge I need? If you can advice me then I listen that's why I'm here.
Old 19-12-2020, 16:30   #109
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A bit more boat help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Just came back from looking at the Ericson.

The few things we found wrong. Mast step at the keel is rusted bad, large pieces of rust break off. Rust expended so much that the aluminum part that bolts to it at the mast is bend up.
bilge is dry but all the way in the back there is what looks like heavy build up of salt crystals, Is that common ? I'm talking about 1/4in thick layer of salt.
All hatches the clear plastic part need replacing. Side windows need redone you can see the sealant if falling apart.
spider cracks are everywhere around the boat. From my little knowledge I would say 90% are surface but some I'm not so sure.
Needs lots of little and some not so little things done. defiantly needs all new electronics
everything is very old.
Compare to other smaller boats we looked at this one is more roomy obviously.
Over all I like it we consider to put an offer down on it. Big thing is the cost for the slip which would be more then 200 per month compare to a 30ft. plus all other upkeep for a larger boat.
Hydraulics need work, can we use the boat as is or it has to be repaired? can they be just removed?
Walk away.. its a money pit.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 16:34   #110

Hello again, Fireant :-)

I see that Boatpoker took his post down. So let me start by saying that he is absolutely right: A boat beyond your financial strength, your physical strength, your knowledge of boat maintenance and/or your level of seamanship can give you (and anybody who has to rely on you) serious grief. So we make note of that, and carry on — at least for now.

You started off a hundred-odd posts ago with words to the effect that 15K was about the amount you have to spend. So please harken to a song I sing constantly: No man should EVER put more money into a boat than he can walk away from with a smile still on his face!

I also told you a hundred odd posts ago that a MINIMAL budget for the Ericson in 15K to buy and 15K year for as long as you own her. Now, I think you could actually sail her locally "as is" and learn what you have to learn about boat handling, seamanship and pilotage.

If doing that takes you five years, you will have put 75 grand into her and when you dispose of her you will be lucky to recover even the 15K you bought her for. The other 60K is money up the flue - or down the toob. Whichever you prefer :-)

If you are willing to blow away the 60K on something that we don't yet know if you will like, there is a case for discussing how you'd go about putting some kinda shine on her from this point on.

We are here to help, but please do be realistic about what you are signing up for :-)!

As ever,

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 16:57   #111
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
boatpoker, I understand what you mean that getting the wrong boat can wipe me clean.
Unless someone born with the knowledge we all have to learn. I wasn't born into a family of sailors nor do I work in the industry. Where I learn all there is to know about boats. Like everyone else here.
The choice I have is walk away from it all and never look at another boat. Or admit I don't know and ask for help.
I'm here asking for help from everyone that can teach me and give me an advice.
How else can I educate myself and gain the knowledge I need? If you can advice me then I listen that's why I'm here.
Start here ...
Marine Survey 101. It will give you an idea of where to go next.
Don't be too quick to open the chequebook.
Old 19-12-2020, 17:31   #112

Boat: Volkscruiser

Fireant as a professional I tell you not to get desperate and rush in and buy a project or a wreck. So many of my clients get impatient and end up buying a boat that really is not suitable for them and months later I hear they are selling it. Or months later now they are in the marine scene they hear of a way better deal and realize they overpaid for their yacht.
Personally I would buy the Catalina 30 get a taste for the boating scene and then upgrade.
That extra $200 a month is more like $2400 a year plus all the other expenses. Trentpieds is not joking about how much money you can blow on a yacht. People will tell you here that you can boat cheaply and fair enough you can depending what type of person you are? But like for my family the convenience of being able to step onto the yacht and just go sailing beats keeping a yacht on a mooring and saving $5000 a year. I also like everything to work and look nice yet some of my clients never replace anything until it is broken.
Keep asking questions
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 17:43   #113

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Fireant as a professional I tell you not to get desperate and rush in and buy a project or a wreck. So many of my clients get impatient and end up buying a boat that really is not suitable for them and months later I hear they are selling it. Or months later now they are in the marine scene they hear of a way better deal and realize they overpaid for their yacht.
Personally I would buy the Catalina 30 get a taste for the boating scene and then upgrade.
That extra $200 a month is more like $2400 a year plus all the other expenses. Trentpieds is not joking about how much money you can blow on a yacht. People will tell you here that you can boat cheaply and fair enough you can depending what type of person you are? But like for my family the convenience of being able to step onto the yacht and just go sailing beats keeping a yacht on a mooring and saving $5000 a year. I also like everything to work and look nice yet some of my clients never replace anything until it is broken.
Keep asking questions
Cheers
Fireant, I have to agree with with the advice given, (above).

For me, the passion in my heart for a grand boat would take me to the Ericson. If I had the money to spend over the next five years to bring the boat to a standard, I'd do it in a minute financial feasibility be damned. I have done that. That is why I am as poor as I am today.

But you are a beginner. You'd be smart to go for a Cat 30 and enjoy sailing more and boat work (and spending money) less.
Old 29-12-2020, 19:23   #114

Took the advice and stepped away from the Ericson.

A few days ago I came across a 1978 O'day 27. Nothing to lose I called and today we went to look at it. It is totally different from what we looked at before.
It has a Yanmar 7HP single cly and let me tell you the vibration are something at idle. Off idle its fairly smooth . 10G fuel tank that the owner says lasts him for around one year. Used engine to come in and out. Will need a new Jib, main sail is good shape. Found one water leak after we had hard rain for the day. Traced it down to a deck screw should be easy fix. Boat is as basic as they come everything is smaller then what we looked before. Electrical was redone with a new panel included. The guy said it was old and they had some problems. So they found its cheaper and easier to just replace everything. It also has new batteries. Engine access not easy will need to lose some weight. engine clean no oil leaks. serviced once a year. Has a none gimbled alcohol stove.
Two guys are partnered in the boat they also used to take every once in a while boy scouts to introduce them to sailing.
the bottom price is 5500 .

Will it be a good to learn? Is it a good boat? The good thing it should keep the cost down and we need to make sure we don't go out there in bad weather.

Thank you
Old 30-12-2020, 01:56   #115

Quote:
Took the advice and stepped away from the Ericson.

A few days ago I came across a 1978 O'day 27. Nothing to lose I called and today we went to look at it. It is totally different from what we looked at before.

It has a Yanmar 7HP single cly and let me tell you the vibration are something at idle. Off idle its fairly smooth . 10G fuel tank that the owner says lasts him for around one year. Used engine to come in and out. Will need a new Jib, main sail is good shape. Found one water leak after we had hard rain for the day. Traced it down to a deck screw should be easy fix. Boat is as basic as they come everything is smaller then what we looked before. Electrical was redone with a new panel included. The guy said it was old and they had some problems. So they found its cheaper and easier to just replace everything. It also has new batteries. Engine access not easy will need to lose some weight. engine clean no oil leaks. serviced once a year. Has a none gimbled alcohol stove.
Two guys are partnered in the boat they also used to take every once in a while boy scouts to introduce them to sailing.
the bottom price is 5500 .

Will it be a good to learn? Is it a good boat? The good thing it should keep the cost down and we need to make sure we don't go out there in bad weather.

Thank you
SO glad you didn't buy that damn Ericson! It was waaay too much of a boat for you and to tell you the truth, I stopped reading this thread because it was driving me wild - the thought that you would get saddled with a nightmare old boat like that. I can't tell you how relieved I am that you walked away! (Thank you boatman61 - as wise and sage as ever)

Now. The O'Day 27! Sounds manageable and a good starter boat, fireant. Much more in your wheelhouse.
Here's a review from an owner https://oday.sailboatowners.com/revi...d=1189&mid=125

I've never sailed the 27, but the O'Days have a good pedigree and sail well and would keep you safe as you learn. Yanmars are my favourite engines and the fact that the electrics have been recently redone is fantastic! Pay attention to the fact that it has also been used as a teaching boat. That speaks volumes. Don't underestimate the value of "as basic as they come" . Keeping things simple is key when you're new to sailing.

Good luck and fair winds wherever they may take you in 2021,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 08:35   #116

Thank you LittleWing77,
I try to listen to people who know better.

I would say one thing for the Ericson It was a nice boat if it just didn't need so much.

The O'day needs some work but less work then most boats I seen. Wife said she just likes the boat, it feels small but "feels right".

I guess we found it, where we weren't looking lol.
Old 30-12-2020, 11:16   #117

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Congratulations! It is a smart way to go. And if you decide later you want to move to a bigger boat, the resale on the O'day should be good too. Time to go sailing!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:57   #118

survey will be done this Saturday. Hope it comes out ok.
working on lining up everything.
Where is a good place to call for insurance ?
Anything I need to watch for when looking for insurance ??
Old 09-01-2021, 17:41   #119

Got the survey done today would be 2-3 days before I get the survey emailed. One big he found was that all the stanchions were loose Some have water and some places there are soft spots. There is one spot about two feet long and a foot wide in the front of the boat as well.
He found a few places that leak inside from the stanchions.
How big of a deal is the soft spots?
He found a few other things but most are age related and some things he would recommend to update.
the soft parts of the deck are what worries me most.
Old 09-01-2021, 19:24   #120

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Got the survey done today would be 2-3 days before I get the survey emailed. One big he found was that all the stanchions were loose Some have water and some places there are soft spots. There is one spot about two feet long and a foot wide in the front of the boat as well.
He found a few places that leak inside from the stanchions.
How big of a deal is the soft spots?
He found a few other things but most are age related and some things he would recommend to update.
the soft parts of the deck are what worries me most.
Rebedding the stanchions would not be a huge deal, but those soft spots could be a real killer. Two feet can turn into ten feet pretty fast once you open up the deck. Any interior leaks should be inspected carefully for rot and other weaknesses. Water has a nasty habit of traveling around once it gets inside. This is why you hire a good surveyor. This is stuff the previous owner should have addressed long ago and something you'll need to address if you want this boat to last. Sounds like you could have at least 5k worth of work here if you do all the heavy lifting yourself.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease