Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2020, 09:42   #76

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: A bit more boat help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Went out yesterday to look at boats and nothing to talk about. Mostly Catalina and one Ericson, All need work some even major work.
Today we just went for a nice very long hike for a work out we needed.
When I came back I found an interesting boat but as before never heard of this model and close to zero info. I turn to you folks again for advice and opinion .
It's a bigger boat then we looked at, if its a good boat it might be a keeper.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...231658840.html

I emailed the seller and posted my questions and his reply on here.

I would like to know what is wrong with the deck. If it up to my skill level to repair it?

Deck had teak removed, screw holes were all filled and the deck was coated with epoxy. The problem is that the walnut anti-slip that was applied is way too thick and it is coming off due to thermal expansion/contraction. Easy to remove with a putty knife and then repaint. Skill level is about 4 out of 10 - was going to do it myself but just do not have the time.

Also, what brand engine you have and did anyone check to see what is wrong with it?

Universal 32 hp diesel. My mechanic installed new injectors and a new fuel pump. He said the injectors need “crunch bushings” and has them on order. Also………….the top end was completely redone about 4 years ago.

Anything else that needs repair of maintenance ?

Guy who cleans the bottom said there are 2 very small blisters. The water pump needs a new impeller.

What condition the bottom and thru hulls? All thru hulls are good. Bottom needs antifouling.

Rigging?

Rigging was redone about 10 years ago -very thick stainless line using the best fittings.

This is a very nice boat but, since I live in Riverside and run a business, I just do not have the time to dedicate to this project.
Cheoy Lee is a fairly well known brand. Removing the teak desks is a lot of work, hopefully they filled all the holes (there's hundreds of them) I wonder if anything was done to repair the interior damage common with leaky decks. This can be quite severe and extensive. You'll need a good surveyor on this one especially as I'm smelling a bit of amateur hour here as they screwed up the non skid after doing all that work. The small blisters should be easily reparable since the boat needs a bottom job anyway. Figure about 3 grand for materials if you do the work yourself. Sounds like the engine is pretty close to being operable without too much expense. Impellers should be changed about once a year whether they need it or not. For day sailing around So Cal, you won't need much ground tackle but you should have it and know how to use it, SH**T happens. Don't underestimate the cost as a full set up can run 5k or more.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 14:20   #77

Boat: Farr 1020

Chewy Lee is a pretty solid boat, they were good quality builders using quality products, but the teak decks were always a sore point. I would not worry at non-slip peeling, perhaps do a small patch at a time rather than a solid renovation in one go.
10 year old rigging is a limit in Australia, someone told insurance companies this and they believe them. We basically have to renew at 10 years or .... no insurance!
The owners association is very informative.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 17:12   #78

VERY nice!

Go see it!

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 19:17   #79

Thank you everyone. I send the guy an email requesting to see the boat.
I hope everything looks good on this one.
If anyone know any particular problems / faults to this boat to look for please let me know.
Going to take a good flashlight and look at all the wood and fitting to see any water damage.

What would be the approximate value of this boat in good shape ?
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 20:51   #80

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The photos look very nice, yet the seller says it is in fair shape. I'd just ask why is it just "fair." The engine is I presume the original. That may be the weak point. There may be more blisters, though to my mind those aren't deal breakers. If it looks good then I say time to call the surveyor!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 20:53   #81

Still waiting for reply from the seller. Just looked and the boat is not listed any more.
Maybe sold or change of mind.
Old 17-11-2020, 02:33   #82

Well, that Cherubini is still en route, right? Make sure you go see it as soon as possible after it makes landfall!

LittleWing77
Old 17-11-2020, 06:54   #83

No kidding LittleWing, its the only boat left to check out. Send a text to the guy last night to remind him to let me know when he gets here.
Winter time is here so maybe I would have better chance.
Old 17-11-2020, 09:10   #84

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The photos look very nice, yet the seller says it is in fair shape. I'd just ask why is it just "fair." The engine is I presume the original. That may be the weak point. There may be more blisters, though to my mind those aren't deal breakers. If it looks good then I say time to call the surveyor!

Pictures seldom show minor flaws or damage. Sounds like seller is being cautious and fair.
Old 18-11-2020, 03:06   #85

Quote:
No kidding LittleWing, its the only boat left to check out. Send a text to the guy last night to remind him to let me know when he gets here.
Winter time is here so maybe I would have better chance.
Well you don't to be rude about it. I was just trying to be optimistic.
Old 18-11-2020, 07:20   #86

LittleWIng if I came across rude then I apologize that wasn't my intentions at all.
I were agreeing with you.
Some things don't come across as intended when typed.
I got all the respect and thankful to you and everyone.
I do apologize for not coming across properly.

Alex
Old 13-12-2020, 15:10   #87

We here I'm again. We looked at some boat and none were as advertised.
Then there are the same boats for sale that seems like months even years.
I came across this 74 Ericson 37, seen it for sale for a long time.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...on-37-3689025/

Didn't really consider it as it is a bigger boat then we are looking for. Also very little info about the boat. One thing I did notice was that boats that are not common are very hard to sale.
Decided to go and look at it as I found a Catalina 30 not far away so might as well check both boats. Who knows the Ericson might be the one. Would anyone have any knowledge of the Ericson? I Went to Ericson forum and not much info in there. Did find a post of the owner of this particular boat. No idea if its a current owner or previous owner.

The Catalina 30 I seen a few of them so more familiar with the boat now.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1986...na-30-7683390/

Thank you
Old 13-12-2020, 15:31   #88

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
We here I'm again. We looked at some boat and none were as advertised.
Then there are the same boats for sale that seems like months even years.
I came across this 74 Ericson 37, seen it for sale for a long time.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...on-37-3689025/

Didn't really consider it as it is a bigger boat then we are looking for. Also very little info about the boat. One thing I did notice was that boats that are not common are very hard to sale.
Decided to go and look at it as I found a Catalina 30 not far away so might as well check both boats. Who knows the Ericson might be the one. Would anyone have any knowledge of the Ericson? I Went to Ericson forum and not much info in there. Did find a post of the owner of this particular boat. No idea if its a current owner or previous owner.

The Catalina 30 I seen a few of them so more familiar with the boat now.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1986...na-30-7683390/

Thank you
This Ericson 37 is a classic Bruce King early IOR design and has a lot of CCA carry over. It will be an excellent sailing boat but you won't want to carry a large spinnaker downwind in 35 knots of breeze (who would, anyhow?). It will be very fast upwind, and comfortable in all conditions. Look at the winch package! And engine access! And by the way, the atomic four has been replaced by a Yanmar, good! Hydraulics, OK they'll need work for sure. Tiller steering, better for fitting a windvane.

But the adv says "fair" condition and you've already passed on a couple of good boats which need work so I guess you won't be keen about this one either, too bad, because it is a classic
Old 13-12-2020, 17:30   #89

Fireant:

Once again, I'll stand with wingsail in his recommendation. Not to put too fine a point on it: The Ericson is a sailboat - the Catalina is a floating Winnebago.

You are gonna have to make up your mind sometime, so why dither any more :-)? Even if you have very little experience, you can learn to sail, even to be a skipper, in the Ericson just as well as you can in the Catalina, and then, when you've done that, you'll have a far better-sailing boat.

I recall, I think, from your opening post that budget is a bit of a constraint, and that I said then that at ten or twenty grand what you'll get is something that will need work. As long as the hull won't sink under you, which is both easily determined and relatively easily and cheaply prevented (as boat expenses go), you can repair and improve at a pace of expenditure that is comfortable for you. NOTHING has to be perfect, and in a boat it seldom is. All it has to be is ADEQUATE! A bonus of doing it as budget becomes available is that all the thinking and poking, and thinking and shopping, and thinking and repairing, and thinking and exchanging you will find yourself doing will make you a better sailorman than almost anything else could.

If I stood in your situation (and if I have understood it correctly), I would, unless it's in substantially worse shape than the Catalina, take the Ericson.

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 19:59   #90

Thanks Wingssail and Trentepieds,
From looking at many Catalina 30's, Ericson 37 looks much better. Just wasn't sure if this particular model is a good one or not as there is so little info. It was made for what I believe only 3 years. Makes you wonder if there was a problem in the build.

Going to look at it next Saturday morning.
When I asked the broker about the boat. He didn't really want to talk much about it, only said Come over look at the boat and we will talk about it. All he mentioned was that its a great boat that needs some TLC.

I like the engine position, the open layout inside and flat deck should be great to get around. For some reason I like the tiller more makes more space in cockpit.
What is the reason for such a large brace at the mast inside the boat? only on this model?

I passed on a few boats after lookin at them in person as people misrepresent the condition or out right lie about it.
The good boats were sold within a day or two of posting the sale. Never had a chance to even meet the owner.

Tags
boat, lease