Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2022, 08:51   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Crew wanted for Atlantic crossing

After canceling plans the last two years due to Covid I want to try again to take the boat from FL to Europe via Bermuda and the Azores. Unfortunately friends that planned to go originally can no longer make it for various reasons so looking for someone to join me.

This will not be a delivery but a relaxed trip. On that basis, I will pay all boat expenses, and air fare back to the US for US based crew or to the US for EU based crew.

Details

- No experience necessary. Have made several deliveries in the past with total newbies on board. Mainly a willingness to do your part, stay awake on watch and be in reasonable physical condition. I would prefer someone that has at least been on the ocean and knows that he/she is not subject to seasickness.

- Must be fully vaccinated and have the docs. This is not only my requirement but also most of the countries we will visit require it.

- Owner is a vegetarian but have no problem at all if you want to eat meat but due to several considerations; fridge size, trash storage being two of the main ones don't want to haul a supply of fresh meat. If you want to bring canned or other non refrigerated meats no problem but you will be expected to clean up after. Previous crew fried or grilled meat three times a day and left grease all over the stove and the rest of the galley. Can't deal with that.

- Anyone welcome regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, etc.

- Planned departure mid/late May, weather depending. Anyone interested will need to have a flexible schedule and a couple of months free time.

- Owner is an experienced sailor with thousands of sea miles. Boat 42' Pearson, older but well found, has all new electronics, new sails, new rigging.

Planning this to be a fun trip and should be a great opportunity for someone that wants to get some experience at sea.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 12:49   #2

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Crew wanted for Atlantic crossing

This is a great opportunity and exactly what is on my bucket list however, its a few years too early. Good luck!!
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 18:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
This is a great opportunity and exactly what is on my bucket list however, its a few years too early. Good luck!!
Taking into account my age and family situation don't think I can wait several more years.
Old 25-02-2022, 23:21   #4

This will not be a delivery but a relaxed trip.

- Owner is an experienced sailor with thousands of sea miles. Boat 42' Pearson, older but well found, has all new electronics, new sails, new rigging.

Planning this to be a fun trip and should be a great opportunity for someone that wants to get some experience at sea.[/QUOTE]

Hi there,

Your plan sounds just right for what I would like to do....

I would be interested if dates coincide, I am currently sailing in Queensland Australia as crew on a Lagoon 45 , will be in Europe as of end of March and will be looking for some (longish ) crewing opportunities, happy to fly over to the US and sail back to Europe with you.
Please feel free to ask any question or references , I am fit , healthy, double vaccinated , have Australian and Italian passports, am a good cook, not vegetarian but not a big meat eater myself. I have owned my own boats ( 2 ) I have sailed in the Med & Adriatic seas , in the Caribbean and in Australia, I am not afraid of hard work, night watches etc . I do not smoke, I drink moderately only socially. I enjoy spearfishing, hoping to catch the occasional fish for dinner ... Cheers Paolo
Old 26-02-2022, 06:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update. Thanks to all. I've received a number of replies from interested sailors who all sound like great members of the crew (or they're all great liars ).

Unless family or personal issues conflict I think the spots are filled but will keep all informed on progress
Old 26-02-2022, 06:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger-sailor View Post
This will not be a delivery but a relaxed trip.

Planning this to be a fun trip and should be a great opportunity for someone that wants to get some experience at sea.

Hi there,

Your plan sounds just right for what I would like to do....

I would be interested if dates coincide, I am currently sailing in Queensland Australia as crew on a Lagoon 45 , will be in Europe as of end of March and will be looking for some (longish ) crewing opportunities, happy to fly over to the US and sail back to Europe with you.
Please feel free to ask any question or references , I am fit , healthy, double vaccinated , have Australian and Italian passports, am a good cook, not vegetarian but not a big meat eater myself. I have owned my own boats ( 2 ) I have sailed in the Med & Adriatic seas , in the Caribbean and in Australia, I am not afraid of hard work, night watches etc . I do not smoke, I drink moderately only socially. I enjoy spearfishing, hoping to catch the occasional fish for dinner ... Cheers Paolo[/QUOTE]

Hi Paolo,

PM sent.
Old 28-02-2022, 01:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
After canceling plans the last two years due to Covid I want to try again to take the boat from FL to Europe via Bermuda and the Azores. Unfortunately friends that planned to go originally can no longer make it for various reasons so looking for someone to join me.

This will not be a delivery but a relaxed trip. On that basis, I will pay all boat expenses, and air fare back to the US for US based crew or to the US for EU based crew.

Details

- No experience necessary. Have made several deliveries in the past with total newbies on board. Mainly a willingness to do your part, stay awake on watch and be in reasonable physical condition. I would prefer someone that has at least been on the ocean and knows that he/she is not subject to seasickness.

- Must be fully vaccinated and have the docs. This is not only my requirement but also most of the countries we will visit require it.

- Owner is a vegetarian but have no problem at all if you want to eat meat but due to several considerations; fridge size, trash storage being two of the main ones don't want to haul a supply of fresh meat. If you want to bring canned or other non refrigerated meats no problem but you will be expected to clean up after. Previous crew fried or grilled meat three times a day and left grease all over the stove and the rest of the galley. Can't deal with that.

- Anyone welcome regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, etc.

- Planned departure mid/late May, weather depending. Anyone interested will need to have a flexible schedule and a couple of months free time.

Dear Skipmac,

I am interesting in the planned atlantic crossing. I am from Germany and will be in the US anyway to start from FL back to Europe.

KR Thomas
hth3bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 05:28   #8

Boat: Sabre 38

I am interested in this trip. I have a few questions. What is th year of the boat? What type of alternate charging source do you have? Do you have mechanical autopilot or electrical autopilot? What type of rig do you have? What type of weather receiver do you have?

Thanks
George
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 10:23   #9

Boat: Schionning 1040 Cat

Hi Skip Im an active member on this forum( you can read my bio there)and available May thru Aug, if your current crew don't work out hit me up!!!
markanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 14:03   #10

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

wah! sounds great skipmac!
Old 06-03-2022, 15:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by george123 View Post
I am interested in this trip. I have a few questions. What is th year of the boat? What type of alternate charging source do you have? Do you have mechanical autopilot or electrical autopilot? What type of rig do you have? What type of weather receiver do you have?

Thanks
George
Hi George and other interested parties.

Boat is a 1984 Pearson 422. Pretty much replaced everything except the hull, deck, mast and engine block. New rigging, new sails, new electronics, engine stripped to the block and all new coolers, alternator, belts, brackets hoses, pumps, etc. Have alternator, solar panels and Honda portable generator. New Simrad/B&G autopilot driving a Raymarine linear mechanical drive with a spare drive. Weather currently Garmin Inreach and SSB receiver. Cutter rig.
Old 06-03-2022, 15:26   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanthony View Post
Hi Skip Im an active member on this forum( you can read my bio there)and available May thru Aug, if your current crew don't work out hit me up!!!
Thanks Mark. Looks like I have crew and a spare but will keep you on the list. Looks like you're not too far away in FL which might be convenient.
Old 06-03-2022, 15:27   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
wah! sounds great skipmac!
I'm pretty excited about it. Originally planned for 2020 but you can probably guess what happened to that.
Old 16-03-2022, 19:37   #14

Hello Skipmac,
This sounds like a great opportunity.
I've recently returned from Portugal where I did a bit of sailing and am back in San Diego now.
It sounds like the position has been filled but should anything change I would be interested.
Thank you, Moe
Sailing Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 00:55   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Moe.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, crew, crew wanted, wanted