Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2020, 09:43   #16

Re: Cruising without anchoring?

Absolutely nothing wrong with marina hopping. Only cruising snobs would suggest otherwise.
- Do make sure you have good ground tackle and know how to use it if you get caught out and can't get to a marina.
- There may be places with limited or no marinas which limits where you can cruise. Running the ICW it's a non-issue with a modest amount of planning but things are more spread out in the Caribbean.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 09:50   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Most Bahama’s Marina’s that I have seen, aren’t nearly as nice as I think you think they are. I see them when I buy fuel usually and I do not go to the two major cities, so I’m sure there are some high end Marina’s there.
They exist I believe for boats and people who can’t get by at anchor, some boats have to have AC power to run their house refrigerators, and the people want 24/7 Airconditioning and unlimited water, those people have to have a marina.
But the water often besides not being inexpensive is poor quality, not always but often.
The Chief Concillator of Spanish Wells for instance will tell you to not drink the city water if asked and he’s published that too, and the water in George Town is very high TDS. Georgetown has free RO water at the dinghy dock, but not in the Marina. I don’t think RO water is available in the marina.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 09:56   #18

There is not marina space everywhere that I'm aware of. Or even marinas. Many places have few, or no facilities. The remainder will leave you touring restaurants, food stores and crime. Planning will be key and you will have to skip over at least half if not 80% of the Caribe. But if your goal is simply to live on the water, like in a marina at home, then... it may be doable with longer trips between marinas.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 09:57   #19

Surprised no one mentioned this yet (and this ftrom a fuzzy old geezer up in BC land), but in a marina in the Caribe it's gonna be hot, hot, hot.

Do you have air conditioning? Perhaps being from where you do, you do.

Then, depending on where you go down south, consider different country's power sources/voltages.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 11:12   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
I love the European cruising concept. The Atlantic crossing, then return in my time frame being the only logistic hurdle for me.
The crossing is more of a hurdle than down the coast to the Bahamas but not that difficult. I used to do deliveries and used to pick up crew pretty often for passages. Bet you could find some volunteers right here.

Quote:
And skipmak, to your very valid question it has to do with laundry, air conditioning, stroll to dinner, etc. My 4 year old does not yet know the pleasures of snorkeling or diving, but I hope to change that- she'll be 7 by the time we cast off. They are not against any of that- they'd simply ask for an overnight trip from the marina to go diving or sailing or fishing as we currently do here in St. Pete. So imagine if you will simply transferring the current boating situation to new locales as opposed to them ever becoming the Pardys and embracing this as a lifestyle.
Laundry and air conditioning are very nice to have on a long cruise. When I was full time cruising I was OK without the AC for 99% of the time but laundry was often a problem. Smaller islands you may not find a laundromat and might have to send it out to a local that does it at home. That sometimes works OK but sometimes expensive and in places with limited or poor quality water the clothes sometimes came back a little stiff.

Also, smaller islands power can be problematic. Often intermittent, low voltage frequent, etc so the air con could occasionally be problematic. Not saying it will be all the time and a guaranteed disaster but absolutely you will not be able to depend on water and AC all the time unless you stick to a fairly limited itinerary in mostly larger towns and fancier (read more expensive) marinas.

Quote:
I love the European cruising concept. The Atlantic crossing, then return in my time frame being the only logistic hurdle for me.

I love the participation in the thread, and do value the input- and for that matter, I personally agree with the position most are asserting here.

But having said that, let's say for the sake of this particular discussion that the gunkhole vs marina problem was hypothetically already decided upon. By that I mean, my wife and child will not be participating if I deprive them of whatever random amenities they choose to retain (not an invitation for debate of lifestyle preferences of course, because I don't speak for them- though I personally hold the view many here do!!).

What are some marinas that DO have reasonable internet connectivity. Which have reasonable amenities for month-long liveaboards? Are there a variety to choose from among the many countries represented throughout the Caribbean? I have some great options provided for the Bahamas now.

And are there any other thoughts about month-long marina stays worth pointing out?

And skipmak, to your very valid question it has to do with laundry, air conditioning, stroll to dinner, etc. My 4 year old does not yet know the pleasures of snorkeling or diving, but I hope to change that- she'll be 7 by the time we cast off. They are not against any of that- they'd simply ask for an overnight trip from the marina to go diving or sailing or fishing as we currently do here in St. Pete. So imagine if you will simply transferring the current boating situation to new locales as opposed to them ever becoming the Pardys and embracing this as a lifestyle.

I've managed over 15 years to keep my wife from revolting against my boating lifestyle by moderating it to a level she and I can both subscribe to. It's worked so far, I'm not really keen on poking the hornets nest. Just looking to enjoy some of the Caribbean and Bahamas on terms they'll go along with.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 12:03   #21

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Almost impossible to answer your question with the few details you have provided. Even in what I consider top tier marinas like the Clearwater City Marina and the Ft. Myers City marina on the West Coast of Florida where you will be leaving from leave something to be desired with WIFI. While I enjoyed my stay in both places they were far above the WIFI and other facilities in at places like the Marathon City Marina and the other places in the Keys. Not sure of you planned passages but one or more of these will be where you will stop when first leaving. If you go to Jewfish Creek and anchor for the the first easy jump to Bimini you will likely have spotty WIFI there; or in the alternative if you go to Morgans or Great Harbor it will be similar. Chubb has it's own issues; not the least of which is it may be full. New Providence sounds like a place your family would be happy and has the best what I call full service marinas but you will pay for it.

Not really gonna go into the details for the Abacos, Eleuthera, and the Exumas except to say things like WIFI, good water, and stuff to do on land is not even close to what your family will be happy with. And that is if, and that is a big if, you can find one that is not full.

I get it that you and your family have different minimum standards in terms of cruising. So my first question is just how much time have you and your family actually spent living on the boat at a marina, and how good is that marina. For the most part once you leave the US any marina you find will be not nearly as good as your current marina; and may well cost more for what they offer.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 12:15   #22

Boat: Seaward 22

you may have multi-day passages to make between marinas. Say from Turks & Caicos to a desirable marina in the DR or PR.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 12:19   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Make sure you have good ground tackle and a good anchor alarm etc.
Start out marina hoping and then every now and again when you know the weather will be good, anchor out occasionally in a popular place to do so. Like Pig beach for instance, there are usually several 100’ Motor Yachts anchored out there too.
If they don’t like it, then just do the marina thing, but I suspect if you pick your weather windows and be darn sure to not sit out a Norther at anchor or other weather and when they see several very wealthy type of boats also anchored out, they may come around. If they do then you can do things like the land and sea park, which by all means you really need to do, and there is no marina there, no cell phone or WiFi either so I guess it would be a short stay.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 14:08   #24

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
(The near 20’ tidal range and accompanying water velocity in Boston’s inner harbor makes for some really interesting anchoring experiences if not done properly!).
20' tide range? Water velocity? Are we talking about Boston, MA, or is there another Boston I'm not familiar with?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 14:17   #25

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Almost impossible to answer your question with the few details you have provided. Even in what I consider top tier marinas like the Clearwater City Marina and the Ft. Myers City marina on the West Coast of Florida where you will be leaving from leave something to be desired with WIFI. While I enjoyed my stay in both places they were far above the WIFI and other facilities in at places like the Marathon City Marina and the other places in the Keys. Not sure of you planned passages but one or more of these will be where you will stop when first leaving. If you go to Jewfish Creek and anchor for the the first easy jump to Bimini you will likely have spotty WIFI there; or in the alternative if you go to Morgans or Great Harbor it will be similar. Chubb has it's own issues; not the least of which is it may be full. New Providence sounds like a place your family would be happy and has the best what I call full service marinas but you will pay for it.

Not really gonna go into the details for the Abacos, Eleuthera, and the Exumas except to say things like WIFI, good water, and stuff to do on land is not even close to what your family will be happy with. And that is if, and that is a big if, you can find one that is not full.

I get it that you and your family have different minimum standards in terms of cruising. So my first question is just how much time have you and your family actually spent living on the boat at a marina, and how good is that marina. For the most part once you leave the US any marina you find will be not nearly as good as your current marina; and may well cost more for what they offer.
My wife an I lived aboard our Lancer 36 in Pearl Harbor for 2 years, we did a year aboard our Beneteau 393 in Bradenton, and 3 years aboard our Silverton 38 Sportbridge in Tampa, but mostly in Boston. We’re not strangers to the marina life. Our daughter was even born in Boston and for 2 years quite literally had more time on the water than she did land!

Most passages we’ve ever made have been marina hopping (except for the Hawaiian Islands).

I don’t need massage chairs in the captain’s lounge type amenities. They’ll just need a life elevated from the hook if you will.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 14:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
20' tide range? Water velocity? Are we talking about Boston, MA, or is there another Boston I'm not familiar with?

Deep Thoughts by Tom Everyone!!!!

Shall we say 15’ and it’s associated water velocity if you prefer? This thread isn’t really intended to nibble at details like crabs (lobstah, sorry), but if that’s what you feed on, have at it.

Boston has more tidal range than some other places do. I’m sure you’re a Denison of those harrowing waters and have been since William F. Buckley was plying the seas in his pleasure yacht, Patito. I’m sure you have a 100+1 Ton masters cert, and I salute you Capitan Tom!!

Now for all those managing to act like adults, back to discussing the Caribbean!
Old 16-09-2020, 15:33   #27

Quote:
SNIP

We’re not strangers to the marina life.

SNIP
You seemed to missed the point of my post.

From what I can tell all your marina life experience has been in the US in what I will call good marinas, as opposed to what I will call second tier marinas in the US and what you seemed to be asking about which is what I will call who knows what tier in the Bahamas and down island.

As others have noted it is common to find water at marinas in the Bahamas that you can not drink. How many marinas have you been in that you can say that about. One of the big positives for all the marinas I mentioned is that I could walk to a Publix for shopping; sometimes a West Marine, Home Deopt, Walmart or Kmart as well. Fuel was available at a dock I could get to in minutes, or walk to and fill jerry cans. Not a lot of marinas in the Bahamas where this is possible and clean fuel is always an issue; not to mention the cost and how many slips will be open.

I love cruising but have been in situations where I could not go in a store for months. I had to be prepared to fix anything needed and depend on provisions obtained before I left or what I could catch.

Bottom line is there is a big difference between what you can expect of a marina in the US, including close by shopping, and what you can expect of marinas out side the US in third world countries.
Old 16-09-2020, 15:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
You seemed to missed the point of my post.

From what I can tell all your marina life experience has been in the US in what I will call good marinas, as opposed to what I will call second tier marinas in the US and what you seemed to be asking about which is what I will call who knows what tier in the Bahamas and down island.

As others have noted it is common to find water at marinas in the Bahamas that you can not drink. How many marinas have you been in that you can say that about. One of the big positives for all the marinas I mentioned is that I could walk to a Publix for shopping; sometimes a West Marine, Home Deopt, Walmart or Kmart as well. Fuel was available at a dock I could get to in minutes, or walk to and fill jerry cans. Not a lot of marinas in the Bahamas where this is possible and clean fuel is always an issue; not to mention the cost and how many slips will be open.

I love cruising but have been in situations where I could not go in a store for months. I had to be prepared to fix anything needed and depend on provisions obtained before I left or what I could catch.

Bottom line is there is a big difference between what you can expect of a marina in the US, including close by shopping, and what you can expect of marinas out side the US in third world countries.
Yes!!!!’

And this is the very crux of the thread. Which marinas CAN we expect reasonable accommodation for our plans??? I know there are unacceptable facilities out there. Which are good ones? How much did they run you? How was the Internet, the facilities. Etc????
Old 16-09-2020, 16:40   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Sure you can. Ive known a few people who just motored from marina to marina, why they bought sailboats...I dont know.

Of course, this does mean you will need to stick to more developed areas, but there are a few small marinas tucked away in less developed areas in the Bahamas. And plenty in the more developed areas.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 16:49   #30

Quote:
Yes!!!!’

And this is the very crux of the thread. Which marinas CAN we expect reasonable accommodation for our plans??? I know there are unacceptable facilities out there. Which are good ones? How much did they run you? How was the Internet, the facilities. Etc????
I like to leave from Jewfish Creek and check in at Bimini Sands. Problem with my giving advice is it has changed hands what I recall as a couple of times since I was last there. Hurricanes, HOA/condo issues (it is both condos with an HOA), and what was a sorta bankruptcy Bahamas style means anything I say is well out of date. I was on a recent thread about the Big Game place and one guy said recently they over charged him. Point is things change and not always for the better. Bimini Sands seems to offer a reduced rate of $US100 for a week if you check in there just before the heavy season starts but that may no longer be in effect. The WIFI was decent. I did not buy fuel anywhere in the Bahamas; same for water as I have a water maker. Decent pool at Bimini Sands and some interesting stuff on South Bimini and easy ferry to North Bimini. I have read horror stories about Chubb. Great Harbor gets good reviews but again not a lot to do. Never been to either one as I anchor out.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, cruising