Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 18:20   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 154
Cruiser Dating?

Being single, how does one connect with potential partners who have a desire to live aboard & cruise globally? Seems typical dating sites are a wash- has anyone found a suitable format geared towards coupling like minded sailors? …asking for a friend…��
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 18:34   #2
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 11,070
Images: 58
Re: Cruiser Dating?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...oul+mates.html
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:28   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Costa del Sol
Posts: 664
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
Being single, how does one connect with potential partners who have a desire to live aboard & cruise globally? Seems typical dating sites are a wash- has anyone found a suitable format geared towards coupling like minded sailors? …asking for a friend…��
Tell you friend he should get cleaned up, be pleasant and interesting company and fun to be around.

Also tell him, there are a lot of women who enjoy a bit of adventure and are moderately flexible with their time. Your friend should get good at giving newbies enjoyable and safe first experiences sailing. This includes being calm and controlled when on board, no hectic, no yelling, no cursing, no red heads. If you - sorry your friend - has this down, he'll automatically earn +10 attractivity points.

Get your friend's ship in order. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be moderately clean an not a dump. Also try to get bad smells under control. Same got your friends appearance.

Go out and do social things. Best combine it with some physical activity to exchange the beer-keg with a six-pack.

If someone is interested, the progression of 2 works well:
2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks

And most important: Don't be needy, desperate or negative. Nobody is interested in spending time with such people without being paid serious money.

Just answering to your friend.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:30   #4
Registered User
 
TooCoys's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: earth
Posts: 589
Re: Cruiser Dating?

onlysailors.com
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:32   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Costa del Sol
Posts: 664
Re: Cruiser Dating?

https://www.segler-sucht-seglerin.de/
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:47   #6
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 15,669
Images: 3
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Tell you friend he should get cleaned up, be pleasant and interesting company and fun to be around.

Also tell him, there are a lot of women who enjoy a bit of adventure and are moderately flexible with their time. Your friend should get good at giving newbies enjoyable and safe first experiences sailing. This includes being calm and controlled when on board, no hectic, no yelling, no cursing, no red heads. If you - sorry your friend - has this down, he'll automatically earn +10 attractivity points.

Get your friend's ship in order. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be moderately clean an not a dump. Also try to get bad smells under control. Same got your friends appearance.

Go out and do social things. Best combine it with some physical activity to exchange the beer-keg with a six-pack.

If someone is interested, the progression of 2 works well:
2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks

And most important: Don't be needy, desperate or negative. Nobody is interested in spending time with such people without being paid serious money.

Just answering to your friend.


So “women “ ( men ?) potential partners desire a non smelly boat , owned by a calm sailor with a six pack and no actual need for a companion

I think the “ serious money “ option might be looking attractive
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:30   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Arkansas
Boat: Beneteau 373
Posts: 41
Images: 1
Re: Cruiser Dating?

www.lovesail.com has been around for awhile
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:03   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Costa del Sol
Posts: 664
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
So “women “ ( men ?) potential partners desire a non smelly boat , owned by a calm sailor with a six pack and no actual need for a companion

I think the “ serious money “ option might be looking attractive
Serious money is nice but not necessary. At least that's my experience. And yes, not needing a companion is making dating a lot easier. You can choose to share your life with someone because it's worth you time instead of chasing anyone not running away fast enough

Also when you do your thing and you can invite someone to share it, if she or he wants to and finds it worthwhile. Once this common base is there, it's a lot easier on the relationship. Worst thing I experienced are relationships where one or both of them need to change in order ot make it work. That's a guaranteed failure in the making.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:13   #9
Registered User
 
TooCoys's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: earth
Posts: 589
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M B View Post
www.lovesail.com has been around for awhile
DAMN! I could get a new boat and a new man all in one trip. That's what I call customer service!
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:44   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9,726
Re: Cruiser Dating?

I would say probably 98% of cruising couples were couples before they were cruisers.

Are there exceptions...sure but the odds are not in your favor.

As mentioned, presenting a clean positive attitude is helpful. If you look like the typical single guy cruising, not many women will be interested.

Now if you are talking about casual local cruising (day sails, weekending if things go well), that's likely going to be easier. If you want to jump straight into cut the dock lines and sail away, that will scare off most.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 13:26   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Costa del Sol
Posts: 664
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I would say probably 98% of cruising couples were couples before they were cruisers.
From what I see here in the marina (in Europe) for sailors, I think that would be overstating it. A very common story (I guess 1 out of 3) is that the man either started to sail after his divorce or wanted to go sailing and his wife didn't agree with this change of their relationship and filed for a divorce. He met his cruising partner only after he got his boat or they based their relationship on the plan to go cruising.

For the women, they often had a divorce and once the children left the nest, they became more adventurous and found a partner in a potential sailor.

As you can guess, this happens to be mostly the 50+ crowd, not the 30-50 age bracket. No idea how it is with people cruising on motor-yachts.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 14:10   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon to Alaska
Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Posts: 3,141
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Worst thing I experienced are relationships where one or both of them need to change in order to make it work. That's a guaranteed failure in the making.
In my 70s, been on the water most of that time. Most couples I've seen on boats usually split. Most men put up with discomfort and inconvenience easily. Most women have a time limit on it. Young women eventually "gotta have a baby". And to most, a boat isn't good enough place for babies. Most older women, in time, usually miss the comfort of land, or they turn rabid.

So if you're a man, make your boat a nice place to visit and maybe later to live with. Dress like Sonny Crockett and carry a wad of $100 bills. They will find you. Oh, and get a vasectomy!
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 17:02   #13
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 15,669
Images: 3
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Remember if it flies , floats or ......
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 17:52   #14
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in California working on the farm
Boat: Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,846
Images: 5
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Forget the dating sites. Forget the yacht clubs. Just go. What I found is when you go cruising and pull into a popular port and you are seen...they will come to you. I met a really nice gal on the way down to Mexico in San Luis Obispo. She still had shore responsibilities but met me at ports down along the way. In La Paz, Mx. I met a woman from England who was boat sitting a 50ft. Jeanneau. On the docks in ports you will find cruisers having all kinds of pot lucks and drinks. "They" are their looking as you are. You can't be a stiff. You have to be lite on your feet and able to have a conversation. I ran across a couple of younger female boat hitch hikers but I smelled trouble there. There are those too that signed up on a cruiser and things did not work out for them. If you run across that, talk to the former Capt. and the crew person. After an hour you will know where the real problem was.
First rule...You can take a nice woman who knows little about sailing and make her a competent sailor. But you cannot take a troublesome woman who knows how to sail and make her nice person. Good luck.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 17:59   #15
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in California working on the farm
Boat: Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,846
Images: 5
Re: Cruiser Dating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
In my 70s, been on the water most of that time. Most couples I've seen on boats usually split. Most men put up with discomfort and inconvenience easily. Most women have a time limit on it. Young women eventually "gotta have a baby". And to most, a boat isn't good enough place for babies. Most older women, in time, usually miss the comfort of land, or they turn rabid.

So if you're a man, make your boat a nice place to visit and maybe later to live with. Dress like Sonny Crockett and carry a wad of $100 bills. They will find you. Oh, and get a vasectomy!

Spot on!
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise, cruiser

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liveaboard Dating Jassen Liveaboard's Forum 422 13-07-2013 11:34
What Is the Dating Scene Like on the Water ? RELEASEME Liveaboard's Forum 148 11-03-2010 21:18

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.