Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 18:28   #91

Boat: Alberg 29 & maybe a 36' motorsailer???
Re: As a late starter am I too old to do serious cruising?

I've been retired for almost 3yrs and in those 3yrs have built a house mostly by myself. I'm 58yrs old and have plenty of aches and pains and am considering purchasing my 1rst sailboat. The previous posts are encouraging.
Grungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 18:52   #92

Lots of good advice. I'm 69 (did I get that far!?!) and still sailing regularly.

While most of the answers have been about your age and mental issues (no pun intended!), reply #87 on the last page was one of the few that touched on THE BOAT.

As we've all learned here and on other boating forums and reading and in real life, some boats are a PITA to sail and others are set up to be sweet.

We have all of our lines led aft with double line reefing. I only have to go up to the foredeck to drop the anchor, and that's because I don't have or want a windlass.

Sailing my boat which has been set up to sail so as to be NO "WORK" is the best thing we have done.

You also have to learn to be a mechanic, plumber, electrician and navigator.

While most of us admit that you never stop learning, it's rather easy to pick it up if you're a good learner.

Some people do nothing but ask questions, and we've found some on sailing forums who even argue with the answers we give 'em.

Others pick up stuff like a sponge.

But the one consistent theme is to learn what works for YOU on YOUR boat.

Until you get one, for example, learning about Yanmar engines won't help you if you get a Universal/Kubota. Learn about what engine YOU have.

The list goes on.

Good luck, sounds like you have the right attitude.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 00:02   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Very encouraging remarks.
Indeed, very encouraging remarks
I just turned 61 and am working my get away plan for a few years from now. I have even toyed with the idea of trying to form a syndicate of older
Sailors to purchase a boat for the World Arc.
Coming up with let's say a quarter of the needed budget and putting together a crew at the same time
Seems like a winner to me
So to all you over 60 who dream of a circumnavigation PM me and let's start talking
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:00   #94

I recall going over to visit my 82 year old uncle and finding he had a broken rib. I asked him how it had happened, and my 80 year old aunt said, "He fell out of a tree with a chainsaw when he was up in it cutting limbs down. I keep telling him not to do it that way, but he's been doing it since we got married and he doesn't listen to anybody."

I went outside and looked at the tree he fell out of and the lowest limb was a good eight or nine feet off of the ground. He died in his 90's still doing stuff like that until right before he died.
Old 16-07-2015, 04:39   #95
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

We sell a lot of boats to people in their 60s and 70s. My only advice is don't wait till 68 to retire to get a boat. Get the boat now and start getting used to it and having fun now. You never know what the next few years will bring. I've seen many a dream go downhill a year after "retirement" due to health but in most cases the boat could have been bought years before and a lot of good use and years was loss.
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 14:50   #96

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
We sell a lot of boats to people in their 60s and 70s. My only advice is don't wait till 68 to retire to get a boat. Get the boat now and start getting used to it and having fun now. You never know what the next few years will bring. I've seen many a dream go downhill a year after "retirement" due to health but in most cases the boat could have been bought years before and a lot of good use and years was loss.
I heartily agree with this philosophy. In my case the boat became my haven from the stresses of work and family life and I honestly believe that I am alive today because I was able to flee into live aboard life whilst I managed a transition to full retirement whilst cruising the boat.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 11:24   #97

Boat: Beneteau 373

I'm leaving next year 2016 for a around the world cruise at age 71. I have a Beneteau 373 2009 and will be going solo. Working on many improvements. I'm in excellent health. I say go for it. Don't hesitate. Research the boat and start planning. Pick a date. Just do IT.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Endeavor4419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:14   #98

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor4419 View Post
I'm leaving next year 2016 for a around the world cruise at age 71. I have a Beneteau 373 2009 and will be going solo. Working on many improvements. I'm in excellent health. I say go for it. Don't hesitate. Research the boat and start planning. Pick a date. Just do IT.

BAM... have a blast mister
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:23   #99
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor4419 View Post

Good on you. I am 73, retired two years ago and own a Lagoon450. I am finalizing me preparations for going on the Pacific Puddle Jump Jan. 2016. If this is your timeline we may be able to buddy up.
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 06:20   #100

Boat: Cape Dory 25

I just turned 55 last week and I feel like a 30 year old until I look in the mirror, Than I ask who is that old guy? I am still in good health, knock wood. I hope it lasts. I have three years before we take off. I can't wait.
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 20:09   #101

Boat: Corsair F28 AC

Did an "old guy" search and found several threads on this topic. Very encouraging I must say. I'm 62 y/o and in pretty good shape. Did a little sailing back in college. None between then and now except for a bareboat to cruising course in the BVI last year with the wife. Loved it.. I've got to have a go at this. Took the advice I've read on this forum and decided to start small and from scratch. Just bought a used Sunfish this week..my first sailboat. Lucky enough to live on a lake where we've power boated for years. The adventure begins..
Lakepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 20:25   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Welcome aboard sail the color off it and have fun
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 20:38   #103

You are not to old but you need to get going. Make a five year plan. Sail, read and get in others boats for a sail. You don't have to plan a trip around just a nice cruise.

Get excited about cruising and make it happen.

fungod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 20:54   #104

Boat: PDQ 44i

Age doesn't factor in much, as long as your health is good. Many of the cruisers we meet day in and day out in the Eastern Caribbean are your age and older. Sign on as crew on a delivery or two, with an experienced captain, and your confidence level will rise quickly. Don't expect to get paid. If you expect to be trained, you may even have to pay something, but it will be worth it. Look at the Alaska Eagle website, too. You might like to make a passage with Orange Coast College. Start smaller than the ARC. Spend a year knocking around the Caribbean first. Are you solo? If there is a significant other, then encourage that person to become equally competent. I think you will be more likely to realize your dream if you can sail double-handed.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 22:04   #105

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepapa View Post
Did an "old guy" search and found several threads on this topic. Very encouraging I must say. I'm 62 y/o and in pretty good shape. Did a little sailing back in college. None between then and now except for a bareboat to cruising course in the BVI last year with the wife. Loved it.. I've got to have a go at this. Took the advice I've read on this forum and decided to start small and from scratch. Just bought a used Sunfish this week..my first sailboat. Lucky enough to live on a lake where we've power boated for years. The adventure begins..
Good start! Now do you live near a body of water with some larger boats where you can bother people to get some time as crew? You can catch up if you ask lots of questions and ask folks about their boats. We all love to talk about our boats. I am 58 and age does mean for me slower recovery time from fatigue or injury. But so far still sailing! Being older means you can't afford to be as careless maybe, so you'll be a better sailor.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising