Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 15:16   #31
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: DOG FRIENDLY FREE anchorages on the way to key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes which I answered earlier.

This response was in answer to your question.

Btw, your boat seems to be pretty flimsy to be cruising on.

Hopefully you won't stray too far offshore.

Flimsy? No son, that’s called engineered.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 15:24   #32

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Messages like this make me wish the OP could cull messages. Besides me, eventually someone else will be interested in this information and try to search for it. You've just made a mess, that can't be cleaned up, for future users... You've ruined it for the rest of us.

- AT
Nonsense. You’re just butthurt by a perfectly valid post. Sorry the world doesn’t cater to dog owners. Love with it
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 15:27   #33
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Nonsense. You’re just butthurt by a perfectly valid post. Sorry the world doesn’t cater to dog owners. Love with it

As a dog owner and located in the Keys I’m happy to cater to the OP.
To be honest, the canines in the Keys seem to be held in higher regard than the humans!
Old 20-02-2022, 15:31   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

good luck to the original poster in his quest to cruise with his dog on a budget. dont give up dogs add to your life and are worth the small issues that they come with. -- those of you that offered your unsolicited opinions on his life choices need to go get your own life-- his boat- his choices as long as they don't infringe on others -he really shouldnt be having to justify his choices to you and really doesn't need to hear your opinions unless he asks for them- seems to me that he was going about it all in a fashion where he was trying his best to conform to all of the rules etc. The internet encourages the type of behavior where people self righteously give their unsolicited opinions because they know it is not possible for someone to reach over and slap them into next week. They would not dream of being that plain rude and impolite in person because they know they would not be tolerated. Nice thing about a boat- if you find yourself next to someone like this it is easy to pull anchor and move. not interested in debating with trolls -- this is just my opinion- feel free to ignore. Again fair winds and calm seas to you and your dogs- enjoy!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 15:32   #35
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
good luck to the original poster in his quest to cruise with his dog on a budget. dont give up dogs add to your life and are worth the small issues that they come with. -- those of you that offered your unsolicited opinions on his life choices need to go get your own life-- his boat- his choices as long as they don't infringe on others -he really shouldnt be having to justify his choices to you and really doesn't need to hear your opinions unless he asks for them- seems to me that he was going about it all in a fashion where he was trying his best to conform to all of the rules etc. The internet encourages the type of behavior where people self righteously give their unsolicited opinions because they know it is not possible for someone to reach over and slap them into next week. They would not dream of being that plain rude and impolite in person because they know they would not be tolerated. Nice thing about a boat- if you find yourself next to someone like this it is easy to pull anchor and move. not interested in debating with trolls -- this is just my opinion- feel free to ignore. Again fair winds and calm seas to you and your dogs- enjoy!

Thanks, couldn’t agree more
Old 20-02-2022, 18:11   #36

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
My comment was exactly on subject. You claimed you were bummed by the stress of not knowing if you could get the dogs on shore. I explained why there are rules preventing just that, seems like it is on the topic to me.

I am sorry that my answer didn't help you solve your problem. Maybe budget more to stay at marinas which allow you to come ashore with your dogs.
Congratulations-you made my IGNORE list. a rare honor.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 19:35   #37

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Congratulations-you made my IGNORE list. a rare honor.
You know, when my fairly mild comments cause such strong reactions I know that I am hitting close to home.
Old 20-02-2022, 21:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Jeepers?

Just think about your dogs stuck on a 27' boat compared to ones that are on land.

Dogs love to run, swim, and play.....

and rest after playing ....
Eh. Depends on the dog. Assuming he didn’t get sea sick, mine would be fine on a boat if it mirrored the pattern of when we RV - hours during the day going to somewhere new, then time at destination and in the AM to explore the new place on walks and hikes. He has two modes: sleeping or Going Somewhere (on a walk or hike.) So as long as he gets enough time to do the latter he’s quite content to sleep all day and not try to run around and play.

But on a boat that would mean staying close enough to land for decent length daily adventures. I don’t think he’d be terribly happy on repeated multi-day passages.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 21:56   #39

And thru all of this:

Has anybody asked the dog?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 22:53   #40

Boat: Catalac 12M (41ft)
pirate Re: DOG FRIENDLY FREE anchorages on the way to key West

Wow.
I am surprised the moderator hasn't stepped in on this thread. cool heads have not prevailed.
I joined this group for support not hate-mail!
I'm a cat person myself, even own a catamaran...
When we sailed the eastern side down to the keys with our boat cat Amos, he of course stayed aboard with his own litter box, so I can't add to the locations of interest side of this discussion.
I do remember getting to Cuba and seeing the vets horror that the cat came ashore. He was happily rolling on the concrete dock at the time and I was quickly able to reassure the Cuban Vet that our cat knew where his next meal was coming from and that there was no chance he was going to let himself be left behind.
Pets are part of the family. They don't budget their love for their humans. I think Wingsail is entitled to their opinion, but totally off topic. If we want to broach the personal responsibility shortfall of all dog owners, where will that end? eg.
There's Plenty of poorly maintained boats clogging anchorages and mooring fields etc. But instead of jumping on a high horse, I think they should heed the maker of their boat, serendipity, and find something good to say even if it is by accident. Sal-la-ve
Old 21-02-2022, 04:39   #41
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
It's just kind of sad that CF is becoming like a sailing anarchy lite ®. A simple question, where can one anchor that has legal free dog access, turns into you shouldn't be cruising with dogs or you should turn around.
I guess I can not really answer the questions. But in 5 years the only place I can remember seeing a "no pets/dogs" sign is the park here in Marathon and people still take their dogs there. Heck people here take their damn dogs into the store.

So is someone telling you "hey you can not bring your dog here" or are you convincing yourself in your mind that is the case. I see cruisers taking in their dogs all the time, everywhere I have been. It always makes me glad I don't have dogs, but as long as they don't bark all the time I don't care if THEY have them.

So take your dog in and stop worrying about it. If someone of authority says you can not, well go somewhere else. BTW I know a lot reviews in Active Captain talk about "dog friendly".
Old 21-02-2022, 04:42   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

I had not read past the post I used to quote, but have now.

I am impressed. There are some serious dog days going on with some posters :-)
Old 21-02-2022, 05:26   #43

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1645449996.056037.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	253315
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 05:40   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: DOG FRIENDLY FREE anchorages on the way to key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I guess I can not really answer the questions. But in 5 years the only place I can remember seeing a "no pets/dogs" sign is the park here in Marathon and people still take their dogs there. Heck people here take their damn dogs into the store.

So is someone telling you "hey you can not bring your dog here" or are you convincing yourself in your mind that is the case. I see cruisers taking in their dogs all the time, everywhere I have been. It always makes me glad I don't have dogs, but as long as they don't bark all the time I don't care if THEY have them.

So take your dog in and stop worrying about it. If someone of authority says you can not, well go somewhere else. BTW I know a lot reviews in Active Captain talk about "dog friendly".
A friend of mine who owned a huge Airdale (since moved on to the kennel in the sky) moved from Oriental down to St Augustine.. first time she took Jerimiah down to the beach she got ticketed and fined by a cop.
Ignorance of the By-Law not a valid excuse.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 06:04   #45
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

It’s legal to have pets in the park but not legal to walk them on the activities fields, for good reason!
There are a ton of pets in the BKH anchorage and for the most part the owners comply with the leash/pick up waste rules. Occasionally you’ll see someone breaking the rules but that is rare.
A very pet friendly community.

Tags
anchor, anchorages, key west