Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2022, 15:31   #1

DOG FRIENDLY FREE anchorages on the way to key West

Hey all,

I'm sitting in tavernier and really bumming. I thought I had put together what might be a series of stops ~30 miles apart to get to key West where I could get the dogs to shore for free. Spots that were free free, not tidal, and didn't depend on business hours. I'm hoping I can crowd source some anchorages and still make this work.

So I'm reviewing what I thought my next stop would be, long key, and it looks like the park rules forbid dogs on the beach and now I assume they don't even allow beaching.

I'd really love to get out too see the Tortugas and the keys, but i can't afford marinas etc. I've budgeted for Garrison bight, but that's about it. I'd hate to turn around since I have my Everglades cert and a year pass to use the waters but not knowing I can get the dogs to shore just makes the stress no fun.

- AT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-818001410.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	253232   Click image for larger version

Name:	0219221610.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	253233  

Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 15:41   #2

Re: DOG FRIENDLY FREE anchorages on the way to key West

https://www.petswelcome.com/vacation...e-florida-keys

https://www.keysrentalsonline.com/pe...h%20Your%20Pet

https://rvlifestyle.com/dog-friendly-beaches-key-west/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 15:47   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I guess a lot depends on draft, whether your on the ocean or bayside and mast height restrictions, but I’m guessing your on Oceanside?
If so, anchor in Long Key Bight and you can dinghy the dogs ashore next to channel 5 bridge. Next stop maybe Marathon where you can anchor in Boot Key and dinghy dock at either the City Marina or Dockside. If weather permits you could anchor of Sombrero Beach and walk the dogs there. Next stop maybe Picnic Island of Big Pine?
That should be close to satisfying the 30 mile stops between Tavernier and KW?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 16:04   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

There are reasons why dogs are not always welcome ashore near public facilities and parks.

I am sure your dogs are well behaved and under control, however
  • Many dogs have been allowed to run free and chase birds and other wildlife.
  • Dogs do get inquisitive of other beach goers and most people don't appreciate a tail wagging muddy dog walking on their beach blanket looking for a pet on the head as you walk them past on their leashes.
  • Dogs, even on leashes often take offense at other dogs, and snapping and harsh barking is not fun to be around.
  • AND...Doggies do what doggies do, and after a 30 mile passage the first thing on their mind when they hit the beach is relief. Many public areas are destroyed by the numerous piles of doggy do, not to mention the wee wee.

At my marina we have several nice lawns close to the docks which are not usable for humans due to the numerous piles, and you'd better stay away when the lawn mower comes around.

It is too bad that you and your wonderful pets have to suffer because of other inconsiderate dog owners, but there it is, they have ruined it for you.

Full disclosure: I feel that dogs and cruising boats are not a good combination, choose one or the other.
Old 19-02-2022, 16:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
There are reasons why dogs are not always welcome ashore near public facilities and parks.

I am sure your dogs are well behaved and under control, however
  • Many dogs have been allowed to run free and chase birds and other wildlife.
  • Dogs do get inquisitive of other beach goers and most people don't appreciate a tail wagging muddy dog walking on their beach blanket looking for a pet on the head as you walk them past on their leashes.
  • Dogs, even on leashes often take offense at other dogs, and snapping and harsh barking is not fun to be around.
  • AND...Doggies do what doggies do, and after a 30 mile passage the first thing on their mind when they hit the beach is relief. Many public areas are destroyed by the numerous piles of doggy do, not to mention the wee wee.

At my marina we have several nice lawns close to the docks which are not usable for humans due to the numerous piles, and you'd better stay away when the lawn mower comes around.

It is too bad that you and your wonderful pets have to suffer because of other inconsiderate dog owners, but there it is, they have ruined it for you.

Full disclosure: I feel that dogs and cruising boats are not a good combination, choose one or the other.
Messages like this make me wish the OP could cull messages. Besides me, eventually someone else will be interested in this information and try to search for it. You've just made a mess, that can't be cleaned up, for future users... You've ruined it for the rest of us.

- AT
Old 19-02-2022, 16:11   #6
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Messages like this make me wish the OP could cull messages. Besides me, eventually someone else will be interested in this information and try to search for it. You've just made a mess, that can't be cleaned up, for future users... You've ruined it for the rest of us.

- AT

Gotta agree with you, I don’t think you asked what people’s opinions were of you having a dog onboard, just how to find places to responsibly walk it.
I sometimes find humans more objectionable than their canine friends.
Old 19-02-2022, 16:13   #7

Quote:

- AT
Well, AT, would you care to expand on how my comment made a mess and/or prevented anyone from searching for this topic?

I gave a reasoned opinion, my own, politely and courteously. Apparently you didn't like it.
Old 19-02-2022, 16:17   #8
smj

Quote:
Well, AT, would you care to expand on how my comment made a mess and/or prevented anyone from searching for this topic?

I gave a reasoned opinion, my own, politely and courteously. Apparently you didn't like it.

I’ll bite. Your response added nothing to the subject, which was pretty clear. If you don’t like dogs on boats please start another thread, leave this one to replies that have something to do with the subject.
Old 19-02-2022, 16:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I guess a lot depends on draft, whether your on the ocean or bayside and mast height restrictions, but I’m guessing your on Oceanside?
If so, anchor in Long Key Bight and you can dinghy the dogs ashore next to channel 5 bridge. Next stop maybe Marathon where you can anchor in Boot Key and dinghy dock at either the City Marina or Dockside. If weather permits you could anchor of Sombrero Beach and walk the dogs there. Next stop maybe Picnic Island of Big Pine?
That should be close to satisfying the 30 mile stops between Tavernier and KW?
Hi! Thank you for the thoughtful reply. 4.5' draft, 45' air draft, currently on the bay side.

My understanding is that boot key is very expensive, $22 for the dinghy dock and registration for the dink and the boat after required... Sounds silly. I can't find anything saying if you can or can't just beach on boot key.

Thank you for pointing out the channel five bridge abutments. That looks like a great spot. Maybe not for tomorrow's winds, but more options is always better.

Can you beach on sombrero without raising hell? I try my best to know it's fully kosher to land before I do so.

I hadn't seen picnic island either! Thank you. let's see how these stops plug together. I really appreciate the help.

- AT
Old 19-02-2022, 16:25   #10

Quote:
I’ll bite. Your response added nothing to the subject, which was pretty clear. If you don’t like dogs on boats please start another thread, leave this one to replies that have something to do with the subject.
My comment was exactly on subject. You claimed you were bummed by the stress of not knowing if you could get the dogs on shore. I explained why there are rules preventing just that, seems like it is on the topic to me.

I am sorry that my answer didn't help you solve your problem. Maybe budget more to stay at marinas which allow you to come ashore with your dogs.
Old 19-02-2022, 16:28   #11

Quote:
My comment was exactly on subject. You claimed you were bummed by the stress of not knowing if you could get the dogs on shore. I explained why there are rules preventing just that, seems like it is on the topic to me.

I am sorry that my answer didn't help you solve your problem. Maybe budget more to stay at marinas which allow you to come ashore with your dogs.

But you still have not explained how my comment ruined this thread for others who might also wish to find the answer to your question, or how my comment made a "mess".

If people with dogs don't want to see that comment of mine you can advise them to "ignore" me.
Old 19-02-2022, 16:32   #12
smj

DOG FRIENDLY FREE anchorages on the way to key West

Quote:

But you still have not explained how my comment ruined this thread for others who might also wish to find the answer to your question, or how my comment made a "mess".

If people with dogs don't want to see that comment of mine you can advise them to "ignore" me.

I’m not the OP I’m a dog owner that is currently in the Keys and have travelled the Keys for 30 years with a dog. I answered the OP’s post with hopefully some helpful advice.
You on the other hand are on the W coast of Mexico that can give no advice on the questions the OP was asking?
Old 19-02-2022, 16:38   #13
smj

Quote:
Hi! Thank you for the thoughtful reply. 4.5' draft, 45' air draft, currently on the bay side.

My understanding is that boot key is very expensive, $22 for the dinghy dock and registration for the dink and the boat after required... Sounds silly. I can't find anything saying if you can or can't just beach on boot key.

Thank you for pointing out the channel five bridge abutments. That looks like a great spot. Maybe not for tomorrow's winds, but more options is always better.

Can you beach on sombrero without raising hell? I try my best to know it's fully kosher to land before I do so.

I hadn't seen picnic island either! Thank you. let's see how these stops plug together. I really appreciate the help.

- AT

If on the bayside you could stop at Islamorada next to the Lorelei. There’s an end of the road that people dinghy dock to that also has a dumpster for trash.
I believe Dockside in Marathon is $5-10 per day for dinghy dockage. If you anchor of Sombrero Beach you can beach your dinghy on the N side of the pier.
As the other poster rightfully stressed, please keep your dogs on a leash at all times and pick up after them, makes it easier for those that fall in your footsteps,
Old 19-02-2022, 16:40   #14

Quote:
I’m not the OP I’m a dog owner that is currently in the Keys and have travelled the Keys for 30 years with a dog. I answered the OP’s post with hopefully some helpful advice.
You on the other hand are on the W coast of Mexico that can give no advice on the questions the OP was asking?
That is true smj, but I can give some valid reasons why it is so tough for him.

Of course, dog owners won't like to see my post, and I expected some blowback over it, but I feel it needed to be said and I am entitled to say it and I am not surprised that a dog owner was not happy seeing it. Truth hurts.
Old 19-02-2022, 17:49   #15
smj

Quote:
That is true smj, but I can give some valid reasons why it is so tough for him.

Of course, dog owners won't like to see my post, and I expected some blowback over it, but I feel it needed to be said and I am entitled to say it and I am not surprised that a dog owner was not happy seeing it. Truth hurts.

If you had any experience with the Keys then maybe you could give some valid reasons. Your experience in W Mexico has no relevance to the Keys

Tags
anchor, anchorages, key west