Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2022, 06:55   #46
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35
Re: DOG FRIENDLY FREE anchorages on the way to key West

The Keys are very dog friendly. Lots of people with dogs. I've seen dogs walk on top of the bar at a "fancy" marine resort in the middle keys.

If the anchorage is actually people friendly, it will be dog friendly.

From Tavernier:
- Lorelei in Islamorada on the bayside

- Marathon - Boot Key or Sombrero (if its calm), or Anchor between the Fanny Keys on the bayside and dingy into porky's.

- Newfound Harbor - There is a small island that is a popular gathering spot for boaters.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 06:57   #47

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Jeepers?

Just think about your dogs stuck on a 27' boat compared to ones that are on land.

Dogs love to run, swim, and play.....

and rest after playing ....
The most important thing for my dogs is that they get to come with me. Doesn't matter where.
Most of them love the water as much as I do. Of the dogs pictured one made it his life mission to pull offending rocks out of the water and put them on dry land where they belonged. He would do that all day everyday if you let him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5827.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	253326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polox2017-01-05_1.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	253327  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Polox2017-01-05_2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	253329  
Old 21-02-2022, 13:48   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
It’s legal to have pets in the park but not legal to walk them on the activities fields, for good reason!
Was just there today and the person with the dog had to go right through the gate with the face level sign that says "No Pets". It is normal!
Old 21-02-2022, 14:11   #49
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Was just there today and the person with the dog had to go right through the gate with the face level sign that says "No Pets". It is normal!

Sad thing as all it takes is a couple of selfish people breaking the rules to ruin it for those that abide.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 06:37   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Hey all,

I'm sitting in tavernier and really bumming. I thought I had put together what might be a series of stops ~30 miles apart to get to key West where I could get the dogs to shore for free. Spots that were free free, not tidal, and didn't depend on business hours. I'm hoping I can crowd source some anchorages and still make this work.

So I'm reviewing what I thought my next stop would be, long key, and it looks like the park rules forbid dogs on the beach and now I assume they don't even allow beaching.

I'd really love to get out too see the Tortugas and the keys, but i can't afford marinas etc. I've budgeted for Garrison bight, but that's about it. I'd hate to turn around since I have my Everglades cert and a year pass to use the waters but not knowing I can get the dogs to shore just makes the stress no fun.

- AT
It's not fair to the dogs being on a small boat. They certainly cannot be very happy with not having exercise and playing and running. Suggest you head North and find a dog friendly anchorage and maybe someone to adopt the dogs.
Offshore58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 06:49   #51

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

I have my dog onboard often and really it’s not an issue anywhere. The “Free” portion of your question is the real issue regardless of having the dogs aboard. Finding anywhere that’s free to tie up the dinghy these days is tough. They definitely exist but from my experience I’ve been unable to plan a trip around the availability of free dinghy docks.

Don’t sweat the dogs though just about everyone loves dogs and other than a state park with a no dogs policy I’ve never had to alter my plans.

Good luck and ignore the negativity.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 06:52   #52

Wish there were more people friendly anchorages in Florida
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 07:13   #53

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

You can anchor and bring your dog ashore at Rodriguez key

Bahia Honda State park will let you bring your dog to shore but they are not allowed on the beaches, the have to be leashed. It’s $5/adult to go ashore. If your a disabled veteran it’s free.

You can take your dog ashore at Wisteria island.

Garrison bright is pretty full all the time, the holding for anchoring is pretty poor if you not on a morning ball. Sea grass over rock.

Just north of the customs dock ( man o war harbour is better for anchoring) $8 a day dingy dock at the city marina or people dingy for free at bridge near Denny’s and sunset water sports it can get crowded.

Do not go ashore at any of the military bases unless your a disabled vet or have a military ID. You will be meet and told to leave.

Do NOT take tour dog to Dry Tortegaz, they have indiscriminately put out rat poison everywhere and the park rangers are anti dogs. If you do take your dog ashore you are limited to garden key and they have to be leashed at all times.

Our experience is that the keys are not very cruiser friendly and even less so with dogs. We will be here another month and then when are heading to the Bahamas.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 07:32   #54

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Some of these anti-dog posts make me wonder if the poster is a cat. Not a person with a cat, but an actual cat writing these posts.
Old 25-02-2022, 07:53   #55

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Some of these anti-dog posts make me wonder if the poster is a cat. Not a person with a cat, but an actual cat writing these posts.
Lol

I don’t think people are anti dog , it’s just their opinion based hopefully on their experience, I’m a dog lover had all sorts of breeds of dogs when I was on land. Trained them hunted with them , but more importantly enjoyed their company. We have a buddy boat with dogs and we have seen them struggle . personally I wouldn’t bring a dog on a boat but that’s my choice (my kids feel differently) When we go back to land we will have dogs again.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 08:52   #56

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
limte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 09:29   #57

Dogs and boats just do not mix. Have one or the other. Same as kids.
psaltydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 10:15   #58
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaltydogs View Post
Dogs and boats just do not mix. Have one or the other. Same as kids.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess we’ve been doing it wrong having lived aboard with dogs for 28 years.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 10:26   #59

For goodness sake....everyone settle down

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You want a dog, take a dog. You don't want a dog............then don't take a dog. People are entitled to voice their opinion. Just because one person has an opinion doesn't mean that your personal opinion is being negated.

Dogs present an additional level of complexity and challenges into a cruising environment, where there is already a lot of challenges and complexity. Some folks are willing that accept that, other's are less willing to do so.

You'll have about as a good luck directing the flow of conversation on a forum as you would at a cocktail party. You can rage that people are straying, but that won't prevent the organic nature of conversation from prevailing. Trying to fight that is an uphill battle.

And yes......I'd gladly tell anyone my opinion to their face. It's equal amounts of keyboard toughness to claim that IRL people would be getting smacked around for voicing their opinion. That's just ridiculous.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 13:52   #60

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
AT, you keep coming up with accusations that people are against you, coming after you, making a mess (?), marginalizing the community or destroying the thread. All because myself and others have expressed our views, mostly negative, about dogs on boats and why we think accommodating the dog is difficult, and that having a dog on board is a bad idea instead of helping you find places for your dog to poop. Basically we've been telling you why it's so darn tough.

Agreed, we did that. I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful.

But your reaction to something you don't want to hear is childish, uncalled for and untrue. And nobody asked you to justify yourself. You should just listen to the advice and then tell us to get lost if you want to (that's what Lady Captn did in another thread), but you don't need to claim we're ruining anything for you. Careless dog owners have ruined it for you.

And by the way, I'd point out to you and others who've commented that our views are "off topic" and we shouldn't have bothered posting; you don't seem to be complaining about people who also don't give you the helpful tips you requested but do say they love having their dogs aboard and that it's no problem.

It sort of points out that rather than the fact that it's off topic you just don't like the message.
This is the second dog thread in which you have posted unhelpful meaningless unsolicited opinions.
You add nothing but unpleasant uncalled for rude observations. If you have nothing of substance to add, please go away. You have nothing to prove other than yourself.
This is what drives people away from this "forum".
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, key west