Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2022, 19:02   #2656

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Well, I think the governments around the world are now mostly taking a pragmatic view. Life, and the economy, goes on. Survival of the fittest now. Hope you are one of the lucky ones where the vaccine works.

The only concern they appear to have now is managing the load on the health system. It would take an extremely brave state government to reintroduce any kind of restrictions now, not without a really brutal collapse of the health system.

I feel for our nurses and doctors.
Old 13-07-2022, 21:18   #2657

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I feel for our nurses and doctors.
Yes, me, too. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Meanwhile, the other day, 1812 new cases, all in aged care facilities, here in Tassie, alone. Says nothing about the Qld spike, either.

Ann
Old 13-07-2022, 21:26   #2658

Boat: Westerly Sealord

One of my sons works in a Canberra hospital. They have manpower problems but he says the biggest problem is people turning up who should just be staying at home and having a little lie down. Each one takes up everyone's time
Old 14-07-2022, 15:42   #2659

Okay El Ping, what does KW mean when you use it? Killer Wanker?

Ann
Old 14-07-2022, 15:48   #2660

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Okay El Ping, what does KW mean when you use it? Killer Wanker?

Ann
?? Wasn't that in the anchoring thread?

'Known Wanker'.

Most yacht clubs and marinas have at least one.
Old 14-07-2022, 19:45   #2661

Boat: Outremer 55L

Well, it finally happened. My wife developed symptoms and a couple of positive RATs while in New Zealand for 5 days to go to her father’s funeral.

It seems likely that she got it from her son, who was the first one to test positive of the people she’d been in contact with. She tested negative twice before a positive RAT on the last day in NZ. Of the 10 or so people she had contact with only one other person not related to her son also had a positive RAT. So she’s not sure whether she’s the Typhoid Mary or just an innocent bystander.

After arriving back home in Queensland she had a positive RAT again. She’s not very sick - coughing and running snot and headache. Three days later still coughing but the other symptoms have eased.

We didn’t bother isolating from each other and now I’ve got a fever, sore throat and general aching body - basically a Man flu so far. We’ll RAT over the weekend to see where we both stand, and we’ve cancelled all of our social activities. The mast comes out early next week so we’re going to be busy this weekend to get everything ready and masking up when meeting people.

Well, it had to happen. Sigh. I guess we just didn’t have enough Chuck Norris in us.

Interestingly, in NZ the health authorities figure that current testing is undercounting actual infection rates by about half, based on waste water analyses. So the government has announced free RATs to try to get the testing rates up. Hospitals are not keeping up with Covid and flu patients (flu in particular is really bad this year after two years of minimal international travel) and the health system is collapsing. But they’re not making anything stricter as they have realised that people in general just don’t care anymore. Put us in that camp too.

AFAIK, you still have to pay for RATs in QLD.
Old 14-07-2022, 20:21   #2662

Us old geezers in Straya or at least Victoria can get free RATs but they now say that we will have to pay from the end of this month. That strikes me as rather counterintuitive.
Old 14-07-2022, 22:04   #2663

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

same in nsw. concession card holders each get a pack of free RATs every month.

we are selling some of ours on ebay. the rest we are planning to gift wrap for christmas presents

cheers,
Old 14-07-2022, 23:10   #2664

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Well, it finally happened. My wife developed symptoms and a couple of positive RATs while in New Zealand for 5 days to go to her father’s funeral.

It seems likely that she got it from her son, who was the first one to test positive of the people she’d been in contact with. She tested negative twice before a positive RAT on the last day in NZ. Of the 10 or so people she had contact with only one other person not related to her son also had a positive RAT. So she’s not sure whether she’s the Typhoid Mary or just an innocent bystander.

After arriving back home in Queensland she had a positive RAT again. She’s not very sick - coughing and running snot and headache. Three days later still coughing but the other symptoms have eased.

We didn’t bother isolating from each other and now I’ve got a fever, sore throat and general aching body - basically a Man flu so far. We’ll RAT over the weekend to see where we both stand, and we’ve cancelled all of our social activities. The mast comes out early next week so we’re going to be busy this weekend to get everything ready and masking up when meeting people.

Well, it had to happen. Sigh. I guess we just didn’t have enough Chuck Norris in us.

Interestingly, in NZ the health authorities figure that current testing is undercounting actual infection rates by about half, based on waste water analyses. So the government has announced free RATs to try to get the testing rates up. Hospitals are not keeping up with Covid and flu patients (flu in particular is really bad this year after two years of minimal international travel) and the health system is collapsing. But they’re not making anything stricter as they have realised that people in general just don’t care anymore. Put us in that camp too.

AFAIK, you still have to pay for RATs in QLD.

Just trying to understand your post, have I got this wrong or are you still going to do work on your boat in a yard while still carrying covid and will mask up if people are around.

Ozsailer
Old 15-07-2022, 02:28   #2665

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Just trying to understand your post, have I got this wrong or are you still going to do work on your boat in a yard while still carrying covid and will mask up if people are around.

Ozsailer

We are berthed at a marina while I do IT contract work. This past week and until we both test negative I will of course be working from home. We are isolating from others and keeping distance, as well as wearing masks when we are close to others.

Next week our mast is scheduled to be removed. There’s a bunch of work associated with getting the mast ready to remove, which we will be doing. The rigger puts in his own yard, so we will be out there doing other jobs on the mast. And yes, masking up if we can’t maintain distance from others.
Old 15-07-2022, 02:31   #2666

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Are you going to tell them before hand you have covid?
Old 15-07-2022, 03:30   #2667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Are you going to tell them before hand you have covid?
...and did someone get on a 'plane the day after they tested positive???
Old 15-07-2022, 03:33   #2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, me, too. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Meanwhile, the other day, 1812 new cases, all in aged care facilities, here in Tassie, alone. Says nothing about the Qld spike, either.

Ann
And this is probably just the overture .
Old 15-07-2022, 12:59   #2669

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
And this is probably just the overture .

Eergh. Too early in the morning for that one..
Old 15-07-2022, 14:21   #2670

Yes, it looks as if Tassie is in the lower 1/3 of its next spike.

Ann

Tags
Australia