Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2020, 18:43   #586

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Yesterday 121,099 cases and 2038 deaths in the US.
Today over 136,000 cases and 2409 deaths.

Louisiana is the new hot spot with Texas not allowing them into the state.
Old 29-03-2020, 18:52   #587

re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Want to know why this disease is spreading so fast? Here is link to a newspaper article quoting an MIT study.

The MIT study says that after coughing the airborne droplets can be spread up to 7 to 8 meters and "The researchers also warn that droplets can stay suspended in the air for hours, moving along airflow patterns imposed by ventilation or climate-control systems. "

https://www.independent.ie/world-new...-39083182.html

Note: I looked for but could not find the release of the actual study.
A study showing aerosolization is plausible, but back to the early cruise ship outbreaks there was common understanding that spred by air was likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here’s the latest from that NYC MD curing patients with his cocktail of medications: https://techstartups.com/2020/03/28/...-z-pak-update/
I didn't exactly see how many # this doc treated (350 or 700), but this number represents at least 10% of current positive tests in the surrounding NY area.

If the kill rate of Covid is 1-2/1,000 (in the younger age groups), and the doc is treating based on symptoms (otherwise in cold season) for a lot of patients...then his results are not remarkable per se (but makes for good press). Otherwise of possible interest, azithromycin has anti-inflammatory properties outside of its directly antibiotic properties...while the antibiotic properties are what is most referred to (point=hard to say why azithromycin works).
Singularity is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 19:02   #588
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
A study showing aerosolization is plausible, but back to the early cruise ship outbreaks there was common understanding that spred by air was likely.

I didn't exactly see how many # this doc treated (350 or 700), but this number represents at least 10% of current positive tests in the surrounding NY area.

If the kill rate of Covid is 1-2/1,000 (in the younger age groups), and the doc is treating based on symptoms (otherwise in cold season) for a lot of patients...then his results are not remarkable per se (but makes for good press). Otherwise of possible interest, azithromycin has anti-inflammatory properties outside of its directly antibiotic properties...while the antibiotic properties are what is most referred to (point=hard to say why azithromycin works).
Azithromycin reduces the possibility of a bacterial infection/pneumonia which has a high rate of occurrence after and during/after viral pneumonia infection.
rbk is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 19:05   #589
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I sure hope it's as good as implied.

Our current isolation and social-distancing is buying time for breakthroughs like this.

LOL...

Sure this may help. Donald Trump said as much in regards to the hydroxychloroquine a comment that MANY mocked him for.

The article however seeks to mislead by stating the NIH study about zinc confirmed the Dr. findings. However, the zinc study was conducted in 2004. THAT does not confirm the good doctor's findings. Rather his finding confirms the NIH study.

The use of zpacks has long been used for various infections and it is awesome stuff. I had a bad chest cold many many years ago. I felt better more or less immediately.

I think we have another Jim Baker selling his "silver solution"...but wearing a lab coat. For such a breakthrough I would have expected an article of more than 4 paragraphs. The previous interview with him is even shorter. Why is this not in the Lancet?

How many people will now get one part zinc tablet plus one part zinc and one fish tank tab??...

That whole media vs. journalism issue i suppose.
desert_sailing is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 19:13   #590

Quote:
Want to know why this disease is spreading so fast? Here is link to a newspaper article quoting an MIT study.

The MIT study says that after coughing the airborne droplets can be spread up to 7 to 8 meters and "The researchers also warn that droplets can stay suspended in the air for hours, moving along airflow patterns imposed by ventilation or climate-control systems. "

https://www.independent.ie/world-new...-39083182.html

Note: I looked for but could not find the release of the actual study.

Me neither. And in searching, I wasn't very impressed by the papers that picked it up. They were mostly tabloid grade.

I think we need to see that MIT study before giving this credence.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 19:14   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
These statistics can help people understand....

New York City has bought 45 refrigerated truck trailers – each capable of holding as many as 44 bodies....

So many people have died that Madrid’s municipal funeral home has stopped collecting bodies. A large ice skating rink is now being used as a makeshift morgue...
A couple of thoughts on this:
- Any action is being justified right now. They could requisition a 1000 trucks and no one would challenge it for fear of being called out as not taking it serious enough.
- The normal process of dealing with the bodies of the dead are disrupted. Normally, bodies would quickly be transferred to funeral homes and then buried or cremated. As the bodies are infectious, they are centralizing the storage until they can be buried or cremated. At least in the short term, that creates a backlog of bodies to store somewhere...well beyond what the morgue is built to handle.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 19:26   #592

Boat: DownEaster 38

I heard from my friends in Martinique, and as you said they can go ashore for food and medicines. Maybe boring, but nice place to be stuck!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 19:27   #593
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
When you factor in that many states have exempted just about everyone except bars, hair salons, massage parlors, restaurants, etc...it's really a big sad joke.
Closing waffle house means it's serious, but leaving pet supply stores open makes it a joke. Lowes was so crowded yesterday you had to turn sideways to pass in the aisle. I had a busted sewer line, but the entire family of 5 browsing color swatches....WTF?
Our governor refused to allow any who self quarantine to claim benefits.
Work - expose yourself to sickness/possible death
Or
Lose Job, Income, Subject your family to poverty, starvation, and homelessness.

Wonderful choice isn't it?

I was appaled that the espresso stands are still open up here in Wa.

This link is what is considered essential.. It is an absolute joke.

https://coronavirus.wa.gov/whats-ope...ntial-business

Its a damn shame that some people are being forced into risking severe illness or face zero income and loss of what little bit they have.

I tell every worker at the stores thank you and that I am so sorry they have to be there during this. Everyone I have encountered.. (not many since lockdown) are pissed they have to be at work.

Given the choice the average worker could give a cr@p about some corporatist secluded in his villa reaping more money than ever, he only wants to not die either through deprivation or disease.

If the govt did allow unemployment during this crisis the entire economy would come to a screeching halt. Keep the peasants working no matter what rules the day.
Old 29-03-2020, 19:28   #594

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronaviru...174551729.html

Swedish seem to be taking a more practical approach. Quarantine the elderly and weak but otherwise a more moderate approach that doesn't destroy the economy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 19:50   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Azithromycin reduces the possibility of a bacterial infection/pneumonia which has a high rate of occurrence after and during/after viral pneumonia infection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A couple of thoughts on this:
- Any action is being justified right now. They could requisition a 1000 trucks and no one would challenge it for fear of being called out as not taking it serious enough.
- The normal process of dealing with the bodies of the dead are disrupted. Normally, bodies would quickly be transferred to funeral homes and then buried or cremated. As the bodies are infectious, they are centralizing the storage until they can be buried or cremated. At least in the short term, that creates a backlog of bodies to store somewhere...well beyond what the morgue is built to handle.
I assumed it'd be self-evident that the anti-bacterial properties of azithromycin has a positive effect on knocking down bacterial co-infection and wanted to point out that there's more than meets the eye here.

I mentioned the anti-inflammatory properties for those who are curious to read-deeper. There's a line somewhere between knocking down the inflammatory storm associated with respiratory collapse, and knocking down the immune system capacity develop an adequte antibody response, etc. We want the former and not the latter while the +/- bacterial coinfection dynamic is complicated unto itself.

So it's not just an "anything ought to be tried" thing, moreover a small sample size may not detect positive results...especially a <1k/size without knowing if people had disease or not. Just being pedantic for anyone wanting to keep closer score.
Singularity is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 20:08   #596

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Me neither. And in searching, I wasn't very impressed by the papers that picked it up. They were mostly tabloid grade.

I think we need to see that MIT study before giving this credence.
I found it.
https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/han...=1&isAllowed=y
DeepFrz is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 20:24   #597

Quote:

Thanks.

I just scanned it, but it's pretty detailed and the paper doesn't itself suggest any guidelines, it just seems to indicate possibilities.

And they didn't include any subjects who were polite enough to cover their coughs and sneezes.

More reading tomorrow.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 20:26   #598

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I looked through the study. It seems to have been carefully designed, and its results are sorta scary.

Of practical use is that if we have a sneeze or cough, coughing into our elbow is a good idea, and wearing a mask if we have a cold or the corono virus, will help contain the droplet cloud. It will protect others.

Ann
Old 29-03-2020, 20:36   #599

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Yeah, I didn't understand much of the paper either so went to the Summary and Conclusion section. It certainly, IMHO, verifies what the news article said. It confirms that a cough cloud can reach the ceiling and ventilation ducts and that minute particles can be recirculated after fallout. The range of the cloud is really quite extensive.

You are right though that the range would be contingent on an uncovered severe cough. An N95 mask would certainly reduce the range and amount of the sputum expelled.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply
Old 29-03-2020, 20:45   #600
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I looked through the study. It seems to have been carefully designed, and its results are sorta scary.

Of practical use is that if we have a sneeze or cough, coughing into our elbow is a good idea, and wearing a mask if we have a cold or the corono virus, will help contain the droplet cloud. It will protect others.

Ann

Great points. It is unfortunate that hordes of people won't comply with even that minimum standard. I figure that eventually being out in public while sick will be a criminal offense. I also think that there can be ZERO disease control as long as there is free movement of peoples.

Ultimately we are likely facing heavy screening within our countries and when traveling out of them. Those with sickness will be locked in. Maybe I could develop a door lock that only opens in the absence of fever, like those ignition locks for cars and drunk drivers. The ThermaLock 2020™

Alexa will determine whether or not you can leave your home or travel?