Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2020, 17:03   #736
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
In the Cavite region a few days ago the cases were at 166 but I’ve seen a few ambulances passing by my place since then. Here’s the PH site for stats.....

https://www.doh.gov.ph/2019-nCoV

In some cases the PH government is coming down hard on false reporting.....

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020...9-reports.html

They also arrested a guy in Manila for posting false info on Facebook a couple weeks ago.
Thanks for sharing that Del.
I don't get local TV on the boat so not sure whether that new "fake news" COVED-19 law is to suppress news or simply control it?
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 03:05   #737
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
re: corona virus alerts - Latest cruising Information for vessels/locations/rules

Google has published charts showing how the coronavirus has brought hard-hit Italy to a standstill, led to runs on grocery stores around the world and prompted a stark drop in going out between Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day.
The analysis of location data from billions of Google users' phones is the largest public data set available to help health authorities assess if people are abiding with shelter-in-place and similar orders issued across the world to rein in the virus.
The company released reports for 131 countries, with charts that compare traffic from Feb. 16 to March 29 to retail and recreational venues, train and bus stations, grocery stores and workplaces with a five-week period earlier this year.

See how your community is moving around differently due to COVID-19
Searchhttps://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/
Canadahttps://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobi..._Report_en.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 16:43   #738
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks Goes, that is very telling as to who are self isolating.
It would be interesting to see correlations with deaths per 100k population
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 16:53   #739

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The US has 337,072 cases with 9562 deaths. To put this in perspective we had 0 deaths on Feb. 28th. The first death was the next day. 2 weeks ago there was only 408. The cases and death rate continues to decline by percentage increase.
Old 05-04-2020, 18:02   #740

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A post has been removed. It was presumably a light hearted attempt at injecting humor into a pretty grim situation.

Please keep this thread for information + citation of source. Thank you.

Ann
Old 05-04-2020, 19:06   #741

For those interested in the spreadsheet I posted earlier

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TMf...ew?usp=sharing

I should have this updated this by 0100 UTC daily. Current columns are K-N, columns to the right are historical increasing in age.

Latest mumblings of things looking better are reflected in the slight improvement in the numbers wrt to Spain and Italy. Thing is we're starting from a very high base, and there's a long way to go before we're back to more than a square of TP. For the US, Reply hazy, try again.

NB. Taiwan and Macau are standouts among this mess.
fivecapes is offline   Reply
Old 06-04-2020, 04:15   #742
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

On Sunday (April 4), The Queen spoke of hoping people will be able to take pride in the years to come in how they responded to the challenges around them today.
"We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again."
~ Queen Elizabeth, during her broadcast Sunday in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Morehttps://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52174...ill-meet-again

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 06-04-2020, 05:30   #743

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I just did up a percentage chart with the top amount of cases down to Canada.

On the case % and death %, move the decimal place 2 spaces to the right.

Sorry for the lousy layout. I did this on an iPad notes. It’s hard to move the cursor to correct errors. And some numbers are links to something, I don’t know what. Don’t care!

It looks like Spain has the most cases Per capita @2.8%, and Italy has the highest deaths Per capita @ 12.3%

China stopped reporting, even though the media evidence proves otherwise.
And Iran is questionable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C0BF8BAF-2771-4B40-9394-2E319927460D.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	212148  
Old 06-04-2020, 07:13   #744

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Delmarry, I think the deaths are not per capita but the number of infected that die. Italy's 12.3% death rate would be 5 million and they are at 15,887.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:35   #745

Italy's Coronavirus cases and deaths are plateauing and plans for an extended period to return to a "new normal", a Phase II of dealing with the pandemic are being established: How to gradually move towards living day to day with the Coronavirus.

Following several days of encouraging data, Health Minister Roberto Speranza outlined a series of measures, including more testing and a beefed up local health system, intended to allow a gradual easing until a vaccine might be developed.

"There are difficult months ahead. Our task is to create the conditions to live with the virus," at least until a vaccine is developed, he told the daily La Repubblica newspaper.

The national lockdown, strictly limiting people's movements and freezing all non-essential economic activity, will officially last until at least April 13 but it is widely expected to be extended. Speranza said it was too early to say when it could be lifted.

The minister said he had issued a note outlining five principles around which the government planned to manage the so-called "phase two" of the emergency, when lockdown restrictions began to be eased but before a full return to normal conditions.

He said social distancing would have to remain, with wider use of individual protection devices such as face masks, while local health systems would be strengthened, to allow a faster and more efficient treatment of suspected COVID-19 cases.

Testing and "contact tracing" would be extended, including with the use of smartphone apps and other forms of digital technology while a network of hospitals dedicated solely to treating COVID-19 patients would be set up.

But presently the challenge is still very much a battle.

"Don't lower our guard, stay at home," Angelo Borelli, head of the Civil Protection department, told a daily briefing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-...120921705.html
Montanan is offline   Reply
Old 06-04-2020, 07:40   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I think the deaths are not per capita but the number of infected that die. Italy's 12.3% death rate would be 5 million and they are at 15,887.
Statistics aside, actually each Italian's death is rather per capita, especially one's own. Adjective: For each person; in relation to people taken individually. Latin - by head.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:49   #747

[QUOTE=GordMay;3110342]On Sunday (April 4), The Queen spoke of hoping people will be able to take pride in the years to come in how they responded to the challenges around them today.
"We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again."
~ Queen Elizabeth, during her broadcast Sunday in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Ditto that sentiment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isolate.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	212155  
Old 06-04-2020, 08:41   #748

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Delmarry, I think the deaths are not per capita but the number of infected that die. Italy's 12.3% death rate would be 5 million and they are at 15,887.
Yeah, that’s what I meant. Per capita of infected cases.
They’re not going to die if not infected.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:09   #749

The previous U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said Monday on CNBC that U.S. unemployment, driven by the coronavirus pandemic, could already be as high as 13% "and moving higher."

Why it matters: Yellen said the country should expect a GDP drop of "at least 30%" in the second quarter [April - June 2020], based on indicators she's reviewed — though she said she has seen even higher projections.

What she's saying: "This is a huge, unprecedented, devastating hit, and my hope is that we will get back to business as usual as quickly as possible," Yellen said.

https://www.axios.com/janet-yellen-u...10f0e10ba.html

Dr. Janet Yellen was my favorite professor back in 1986, instructing classes in economics, when I pursued my MBA at the University of California, Berkeley. She and her husband, George Akerlof, are a remarkable couple. Dr. George Akerlof is also an American economist who is a university professor at the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University and was the Koshland Professor of Economics Emeritus also at the University of California, Berkeley. He was awarded the 2001 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences. One can only imagine the substance of their dinner conversations.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:29   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Just keep in mind that the death rate is much higher than posted and none of us know what that number is. You didn't die from it unless you were tested positive. Just the way it works.
For NC related numbers, I trust they are pretty accurate. NC is not being overwhelmed with cases. I posted on another discussion that a hospital in a mid sized city in NC is laying off 300 people because they have stopped unnecessary procedures and the hospital is not running at it's usual capacity.

I have a friend that went to a different hospital in a bigger city a week or so ago and the ER was empty. That just does not happen.

The https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections has been consistently a bit higher in it's guestimates of death, and today, DRAMATICALLY lowered their guestimates of deaths, needed ICU beds, etc., for NC. Their first guestimates was that NC would have 3,000 dead. Their latest guess is 496 dead with a range of 315 to 757. I would guestimate, based on watching how their predictions turned out, that we will be lower than 496.

NC was not in bad shape in regards to ICU beds in their earlier guestimates. The state has 567 ICU beds and they said we would need another 200 or so. Now they are saying the state will only need 258 in total to handle the virus.

The old projections for NC have no more virus deaths after June 1st. Now it is May 5th.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply