Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2020, 12:46   #46

Re: Canadian boating - Great Lakes and Atlantic region

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
What??? No stop at the Lienie's Brewery?

After 6.6 decades of (mostly) living here, I still find winters tolerable. But I think we are pretty mild compared to what you and our neighbors north of the 49th parallel get.
Actually almost all Canadians live very close to the 49th parallel and basically the winters are the same as the USA northern states...not colder as you speculate...however you are correct if you start going north far enough, it's pretty brutal in winter. Fortunately hardly anyone lives there and those that do are tough as nails.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:48   #47

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Just brought in the mail. There is a notice form the Parks dept, who own our docks, that the docks will be open as usual. However, they are asking that slip holders delay occupancy, to limit the number of boats in the slips. They further state that the number of people in a group is limited to 4, and the number of people on the dock is limited to 10. That should be interesting as the largest dock holds at least 40 slips. The Marina office and bathrooms/showers are closed until further notice, however fuel and pump outs can still be done by appointment by calling the Harbormaster.

Normal 'operation' will resume April 24th, unless the stay-at-home order is extended.

This is in Fond du Lac, WI.
Old 04-04-2020, 13:00   #48

Quote:
What??? No stop at the Lienie's Brewery?

After 6.6 decades of (mostly) living here, I still find winters tolerable. But I think we are pretty mild compared to what you and our neighbors north of the 49th parallel get.
Our chip foundry was across the street from the Linnies distribution center. We were scheduled to tour the brewery downtown but something always seemed to come up that conflicted. Next time! We kept saying. Enjoyed the Linnies beers a lot. Hard to come by Linnies out here. We have our craft breweries, e.g., Moose Drool and Cold Smoke Scotch Ale being of my favorites.

I live in Northwestern Montana, a much more mild climate and of lower elevation then out on the Rocky Mountain front or the high plains states. When Canada lets loose with one of their cold air masses and it can slip across the Rockies to the west nearing Idahohohoho, we get a few days of harsh chill but then the front shifts to the east and we have our reprieve. Daytime highs in the twenties to low thirties being the norm. Fahrenheit.
The four seasons being June, July, August and Winter.
Old 04-04-2020, 13:07   #49

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
OK from my studying of the situation. It looks like Lake Ontario and 1000 Islands will flood more than last year. Flooding in Montreal has already started. Last year, I was able to get in the water early and the water rose. This year assuming we will not get in the water until June, the water levels may be too high to launch large boats where I winter store! I think if COVID ever clears up in the next month, the Water levels may hinder us later in June when Highest water is forecast. From my vantage point, (looking at Milton Island) the water is rising however if we get a dry spring it might relax the flooding somewhat.

To the person who asked what was Nunavut. Nunavut is a part of the North West Territories in Canada. Nunavik is actually the northern part of Quebec.
Have you seen this forecast from the IJC?

https://ijc.org/en/loslrb/watershed/forecasts

The forecast gives a very low probability of exceeding 2019, probably on the order 10-15%.

It will likely be above the average level, and 50/50 on being at the threshold levels. While there may be some short term flooding, it doesn't appear to be as bad as last year.

If weather patterns are as they were in 2018, we'll be good, if the weather is wetter than average as in 2017 and 2019, there will be some flooding.
Old 04-04-2020, 13:07   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Actually almost all Canadians live very close to the 49th parallel and basically the winters are the same as the USA northern states...not colder as you speculate...however you are correct if you start going north far enough, it's pretty brutal in winter. Fortunately hardly anyone lives there and those that do are tough as nails.
I did business in Ontario - eastern Canada for years so that's why I mentioned the 49th. I think Toronto might even be south of where I am. Furthest north I got (on dry land) was Kapuskasing. Funny - everybody there was real short, except for one guy in a red suit with a big white beard...

I was thinking more the lines of Calgary and Winnipeg. When we complain about -20 here they laugh at us, just like we laugh at the southern boys who complain about 3" of snow.
Old 04-04-2020, 13:14   #51

Quote: "Greenland, hey wasn't that the place the POTUS was seeking to purchase from the Danes? Didn't receive a favorable response, so he petulantly cancelled his trip to Copenhagen to meet Her Excellency, Mrs. Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen. "

Denmark's response to the 45th POTUS, and not just over his "offer" to buy Greenland - Queen Margaret of Denmark consoling the cry-baby:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trump in Maggie's arms.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	212015  
Old 04-04-2020, 13:14   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The four seasons being June, July, August and Winter.
Years ago I was on a job in Hamilton MT. From there I had to go to a mine near Butte. Instead of driving back to Missoula, the guy in Hamilton told me to take the "Skalkaho (sp?) pass" as "it should be open now" This was late June. Apparently the pass is open June through August; the rest of the year it's snowed in.
Old 04-04-2020, 13:14   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
My apologies to the Newfoundlanders for my misspelling of the island's name. I should pay more attention when reading the guide book.

Watching the Republic of Doyle has helped accustom my ears to the Newfoundland accent.
Don'cha know Newfies, Dave?

They're an easygoing bunch who'll forgive you ...as long as you partake of the proffered dram of Screech. (By any chance, have you heard of Come From Away?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_from_Away

Now THIS is more like it, eh, Mike?!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 04-04-2020, 13:35   #54

Quote:
Years ago I was on a job in Hamilton MT. From there I had to go to a mine near Butte. Instead of driving back to Missoula, the guy in Hamilton told me to take the "Skalkaho (sp?) pass" as "it should be open now" This was late June. Apparently the pass is open June through August; the rest of the year it's snowed in.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.”
–John Muir

The Skalkaho "Highway". Now that is definitely the lesser beaten path. Dirt track, remote country, beautiful and yes snowbound much of the year. "Opens" sort of earliest around late May or early June. The Skalkaho Pass and Falls are very scenic. 4,250 feet elevation gain from the Bitterroot Valley at Hamilton. Fewer miles but likely much longer in time to get to Butte. Going up, over and through the mountains instead of around them through the valleys on the Interstate Highway. See images below.

Heck even the Going to the Sun main road through Glacier National Park doesn't get plowed open until mid to late June and then closes the first snow fall in September when about 2 million visitors go on the spectacular winding narrow, two lane road over Logan Pass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skalkaho-falls_guy527.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	212016   Click image for larger version

Name:	skalk.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	212017  

Old 04-04-2020, 13:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Don'cha know Newfies, Dave?

They're an easygoing bunch who'll forgive you ...as long as you partake of the proffered dram of Screech. (By any chance, have you heard of Come From Away?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_from_Away

Now THIS is more like it, eh, Mike?!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Not yet, and it looks like it will another year before learn some of their ways.

I remember Gander's hospitality in 2001. It was greatly appreciated by the world.

Now about that Screech...
Old 04-04-2020, 13:36   #56

Now this is more like it! currently 5 members and FORTY-SEVEN guests!

Hey you Guests! Join the Forum already! The sailin's fine.

Fair winds, all,
LittleWing77
Old 04-04-2020, 13:38   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Not yet, and it looks like it will another year before learn some of their ways.

I remember Gander's hospitality in 2001. It was greatly appreciated by the world.

Now about that Screech...
And then all that business about
KISSING A COD. Maybe that would be taking things a bit too far...?
Old 04-04-2020, 13:48   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.”
–John Muir

The Skalkaho "Highway". Now that is definitely the lesser beaten path. Dirt track, remote country, beautiful and yes snowbound much of the year. "Opens" sort of earliest around late May or early June. The Skalkaho Pass and Falls are very scenic. 4,250 feet elevation gain from the Bitterroot Valley at Hamilton. Fewer miles but likely much longer in time to get to Butte. Going up, over and through the mountains instead of around them through the valleys on the Interstate Highway. See images below.
Funny, I don't remember the falls, but the pict of the poor bastard bike-trekking is spot on. I do seem to remember a tall chimney/flu sticking up above the trees at some point - figured it to be a mine site. I do have pictures (real photographs) someplace. Great, now I'll have to find them...

The guy who recommended it said it would save time... regardless it was worth the trip.
Old 04-04-2020, 13:49   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "Greenland, hey wasn't that the place the POTUS was seeking to purchase from the Danes? Didn't receive a favorable response, so he petulantly cancelled his trip to Copenhagen to meet Her Excellency, Mrs. Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen. "

Denmark's response to the 45th POTUS, and not just over his "offer" to buy Greenland - Queen Margaret of Denmark consoling the cry-baby:
An excellent picture of Donny.

I'm thinking the Queen probably had some harsh words and thoughts when she heard that the PINO was desiring to buy Greenland, adding it to his list of resorts. I know that most of the Yanks in the States were like: What is Greenland? Instantly, where the hell is that - Google search, major trending word. I knew where Greenland was because I used to play the board game Risk. Followed by: Google search. Where is Denmark?

So are the Faroe's for sale? Just asking for a guy who lives in a white house on Pennsylvania Avenue. Might be interested in a toilet paper for land exchange.
Old 04-04-2020, 13:51   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
And then all that business about
KISSING A COD. Maybe that would be taking things a bit too far...?
Kissing a cod? Is that anything like kissing a girl after a bad date?

I am intrigued by cod tongues and cheeks as a meal. I'd rank that a little above haggis.

Tags
boat, boating, great lakes