Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2023, 12:03   #61

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Cruising is quite safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
3. Operator inattention has been one of the top causes since they started collecting data in the 60's.
4. right up there with inattention is alcohol.
I suspect that the biggest reason alcohol is a contributor is that it causes inattention.
And I suspect that "operator inattention" is the cause of about 98% of all accidents in all venues, worldwide. Very, very few accidents occur that could not be prevented with a sufficiently alert operator.
My only marine insurance claim ever was a direct result of failing to line up a fuel valve after changing the filter. I was not sufficiently attentive to that task.
Sorry, it's an accurate categorization, but one that I find to be an annoyingly obvious and unhelpful one.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 12:53   #62

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks Ike, it's always great to get direct information from a professional who was directly involved in the issue at hand. And thanks as well for expanding on the "get data insurance companies" thought. That was my suggestion, but you make it clear why it has not been done.
Old 22-11-2023, 19:44   #63

Boat: Hunter 340

In my twelve years of sailing the most dangerous incident occurred last summer when my wife and I were hit by a high speed inboard powerboat when in our dingy.. I bounced of the guys hull and was nearly swamped. If he was two feet to the left we woukd have been fatality statistics. Otherwise sailing has been very safe.
dmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 23:23   #64

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Unless there is no body.

OK boating deaths within a country will be reported to the coroner etc.

Bit of an aside, some years ago I had a read of the 'Coroners' Year Book' for the state of Victoria, Australia. Yes , honest, there is such a thing. Let me tell you there are some pretty weird ways you can end up dying.

If a single hander heads off from Panama for FP and doesn't turn up do the authorities in FP either know nor care?
If he has no family? Even if he has family? And what happens next - wait seven years until he can be declared dead?
I think wait 7 years from when they are officially a missing person, when does that start? It's not until the 7 years is up in many countries that probate will be issued and up until then nothing can happen with the estate.

In New Zealand once the seven years is up, someone, I guess from the family or Police apply to the High Court of NZ to have probate issued. That may or may not need a Coroner's Hearing. Once the Court grants an executor probate, he/she must hold onto the assets for at least six months before distributing them. This gives the estate enough time for any claims that may come against it to surface. After the six months, executors can execute the will and distribute all assets within one year.

It's a very lengthy process.

But an example.
So Edward Anker is a Kiwi, sailing on the H28, Spirit of Rema. Ed hails from the port of Napier, New Zealand. He has not been seen since leaving Hout Bay, South Africa on Boxing Day 2012, heading towards Australia. For more information

Who should report him 'missing'?
To what authority should that report be made?
So far as I know he is still just missing.

His is one of a number of NZ vessels or vessels sailing in the vicinity of NZ that have disappeared off all the charts.
Currently on this forum there is a lookout for Andiamo.
Old 23-11-2023, 00:05   #65

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
But an example.
So Edward Anker is a Kiwi, sailing on the H28, Spirit of Rema. Ed hails from the port of Napier, New Zealand. He has not been seen since leaving Hout Bay, South Africa on Boxing Day 2012, heading towards Australia. For more information

Who should report him 'missing'?
To what authority should that report be made?
So far as I know he is still just missing.

His is one of a number of NZ vessels or vessels sailing in the vicinity of NZ that have disappeared off all the charts.
Currently on this forum there is a lookout for Andiamo.
Oh Dear, I am 99% sure I met Edward in Puerto Montt in about 2007 give or take. Engineless H28 , 70 something single hander who turned up from NZ.
Was planning to do the channels with no engine because he had 'a pair of sculls'. Yikes!!
We prevailed on him to buy an outboard and fit a bracket - that can be seen in some of the pics of his boat on line.

Vale Edward.
Old 24-11-2023, 07:46   #66

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I think wait 7 years from when they are officially a missing person, when does that start? It's not until the 7 years is up in many countries that probate will be issued and up until then nothing can happen with the estate.
Sort of a little off-topic, but one has to wonder how that can play out. Assume I disappear one day. My estate is MINE, and no one can touch it or meddle with it until I am declared dead. Over the next 7 years:
* My lawn will grow to jungle status.
* My power will be shut off for failure to pay, and all my pipes will freeze.
* My real estate taxes will go overdue, resulting in tax sale of the property. The excess proceeds are turned over to....who? Placed in a holding account, perhaps?

* My retirement pension will continue unabated (I'm only missing, I'm not dead, so my estate will collect it for seven additional years!).
* My car insurance will lapse. If my auto registration doesn't expire first, a long line of penalty fines will be assessed.
* Here in Maryland, any account that is untouched (no contact at all from the owner) for 5 years (I think?) is declared abandoned, and turned over to the state. You can reclaim it forever (literally, I found and reclaimed a tiny account that had been abandoned for almost 20 years), but it gets taken out of whatever investment it was in and turned over to the State as cash.

And all the while, my heirs are watching, helpless to interfere.

What a conundrum!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising