Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 18:36   #1

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Hurricane Irene

Looks like Irene is slated to hit right where I'm at on Saturday. I'm in a slip at a boatyard and if it still looks bad wednesday and there's room, I'll have to have it hauled on thursday and stay in a motel with the dog for a few days. Anyone else looking at necessary action on account of this storm?
Old 22-08-2011, 18:49   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Hurricane Irene

Where are you? I'm in a slip in Charleston, and watching this one very closely. Best of luck to you.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 19:08   #3

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Where are you? I'm in a slip in Charleston, and watching this one very closely. Best of luck to you.
I'm at Holden Beach. Accuweather says it looks like it will be a major hurricane, direct hit , between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington. That would be here, right between those two places. Hope something changes.
Good luck to you too.
Old 22-08-2011, 19:36   #4
cruiser

I'm in VA, where it's likely to only be a nasty storm with high winds, but I'm hauled for painting anyway, so I just stripped off the sails and canvas to be safe.
Good luck to all in Irene's path. Be safe.
damnfinesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 19:47   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Oriental NC, but already on the hard. When Irene makes up her mind, we will strip sails and canvas. Yuk, not my favorite boat job, but it beats bangin' head hoses, or grinding fiberglass in 90 degree heat! lol
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 20:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Yea I'm just north of you at surf city .....seems like we get the $%#@ knocked out of us every 6 yrs. on average...one friend and his wife got their house sweeped out from under them and hugged a telephone pole for 4 hrs....we left when it got 8 hrs. away and sat in traffic for 3 hrs. from Surf City to Wilmington...leave early..good luck DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 20:10   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

My Daughter is in PR and just went through her. Lotsa rain, some 20" but winds weren't bad.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 10:47   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

In Annapolis with dock party planned for Thursday morning to strip sails and canvas. I'll head out to hole up on Saturday.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 10:57   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

You boys might want to take a look at Passageweather.com which primarily relies on the GFS Model for weather prediction. Over the past several years we have found it to be very reliable, particularly within a 3-4 day window. Right now, the GFS Model is showing the storm continuing to shift east a rolling over the outer reaches of Hatteras and coming ashore on the east end of Long Island as a Cat 4. You all may be "in luck".

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 11:11   #10

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Oriental NC, but already on the hard. When Irene makes up her mind, we will strip sails and canvas. Yuk, not my favorite boat job, but it beats bangin' head hoses, or grinding fiberglass in 90 degree heat! lol

We are heading down to strip canvas Thursday evening. Whow! Just felt eath tremors. Reports now say 5.8 earthquake in VA 100 mi away.
Hurricane and earthquakes. Whats next?
Old 23-08-2011, 11:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueayes View Post
Hurricane and earthquakes. Whats next?
Brimstone?
Old 23-08-2011, 11:25   #12

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
You boys might want to take a look at Passageweather.com which primarily relies on the GFS Model for weather prediction. Over the past several years we have found it to be very reliable, particularly within a 3-4 day window. Right now, the GFS Model is showing the storm continuing to shift east a rolling over the outer reaches of Hatteras and coming ashore on the east end of Long Island as a Cat 4. You all may be "in luck".

FWIW...
All of "them" may be in luck, but some of "us" aren't happy with an easterly shift. Eastern Long Island is about as bad as it gets for those of us on Narragansett Bay. I couldn't find the tracking maps on Passageweather.com. I've use Weather Underground for tracking which seems to work pretty well. For those of us in the Northeast, it's too early to do much.

I'm on a pretty hefty mooring so, if the forecast is Cat 1 or less, I'll strip the canvas and sails and add extra chafing gear. If it's above Cat 1 or it looks like the storm will hit at high tide with a lot of surge, I'll get hauled. Glad to have named storm hauling insurance.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 11:33   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
All of "them" may be in luck, but some of "us" aren't happy with an easterly shift. Eastern Long Island is about as bad as it gets for those of us on Narragansett Bay. I couldn't find the tracking maps on Passageweather.com. I've use Weather Underground for tracking which seems to work pretty well. For those of us in the Northeast, it's too early to do much.

I'm on a pretty hefty mooring so, if the forecast is Cat 1 or less, I'll strip the canvas and sails and add extra chafing gear. If it's above Cat 1 or it looks like the storm will hit at high tide with a lot of surge, I'll get hauled. Glad to have named storm hauling insurance.
David--Sorry for your potential misfortune. If the storm keeps shifting east as it has since Sunday past, you may also end up in the clear. Let us hope eh? Regretably, someone, somewhere is going to get whacked... There but for the grace...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 11:57   #14

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
David--Sorry for your potential misfortune. If the storm keeps shifting east as it has since Sunday past, you may also end up in the clear. Let us hope eh? Regretably, someone, somewhere is going to get whacked... There but for the grace...
You got that right. When it comes to hurricanes, we're pretty lucky relative to you Floridians. At this stage, I just go from checking the maps once a day to checking twice a day. If we're still in the track on Saturday, I'll be looking hourly even if the forecasts are only updated four times a day. We have a lot of false alarms, so, hopefully, this will be another.

By the time hurricanes get up this far, they are usually moving pretty fast which accentuates the differences between the eastern and western sides of the storm. The storm has to pass through a pretty narrow slot between New York City and Block Island for us to be in a bad way. If it tracks west of New York City it dissipates over land. If it goes east of us the winds can be 40-50 knots less than the Northeast quadrant.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 12:08   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

HyLyte;

Are you getting your info from Passageweather.com by viewing the wester atlantic GFS models, and stepping through the images? One thing I thought was odd was the barbs did not show hurricane force winds, but show them maxing out at 45kts. Perhaps an interface issue?

Chris

Quote:

FWIW...
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane